2Gig Panel Makes Intermittent Crackling/Humming Noise

Just moved into a home that has a 2Gig Panel installed. I have searched the forum but have not found a thread that is exactly on point with what we are experiencing. Thanks in advance for your help:

Our panel emits 3-4 seconds of sound that is best described as crackling or humming or interference-type noise. It does this probably a few times an hour, seemingly at random times. This happens even when we are far away from the panel and not pressing any buttons or doing anything.

For what it’s worth, the system is not connected to any monitoring, and does not have phone/cell support. It is just a manual alarm system for now, as we just moved here and are not sure if want a monitoring service.

If it helps, here is the Version info on the device:

Z-Wave VerSIon: 2GIG 2.78
Build Version: 9556
Firmware Version: V1.9.5.PRODUCTION_EN_US

Do you have the panel’s codes?

You will want to disarm it, then power it down Power supply first followed by the internal battery. Once its powered down, inspect the power wire at the terminal block inside the panel and on the screw terminals on the power supply. Make sure they aren’t loose or corroded.

You will also want to check internally to see if the speaker has become unplugged or if the cable is loose.

Once you have inspected these items, you can power up the panel again battery first, then power supply. Once it boots up, does the noise continue?

Thank you for the reply.

I had previously power cycled it like you described. It did not solve the issue.

I checked the speaker just now and do not see anything loose or out of the ordinary, though I am just a novice. I am attaching a photo of what I’m seeing. Do you see anything out of the norm?

One other thing: I am now disconnecting the red wire from the terminal and running the system only on backup battery power in an attempt to maybe isolate that wiring as the issue. If it is the issue, do you see any harm in just running the panel on battery power for now and leaving the red wire unconnected to the terminal. Like I said, I’m a novice and don’t want to accidentally cause some spark or fire or something cause the red wire is just sitting there unconnected to the terminal behind the panel.

One last question. It now says the battery is low. Could that possibly cause the interference noise issue?

One other thing: I am now disconnecting the red wire from the terminal and running the system only on backup battery power in an attempt to maybe isolate that wiring as the issue.

Isolating one power type over the other is a sound idea for testing but I would leave the unit unplugged at the power supply end.

One last question. It now says the battery is low. Could that possibly cause the interference noise issue?

A Panel Low Battery would be the direct result of running the panel off of battery only. A new internal battery has about a 24 hour charge. Older batteries will have less of one.

Based on the picture, the wiring looks fine, as long as nothing is loose.

This is one of the older 2GIG Go!Control units and it may just be on its way out. Do you notice the crackling noise coincide with any panel alerts on screen?

Are there sensors connected to the panel? If you trip a door sensor, does the panel announce the sensor? If so, how does that sound?