2gig panel dead

hello guys, my 2gig panel went dead all the sudden. At first I thought the power supply was bad. I tested it and it was working putting out 14v , after much tinkering I pulled the 2gig GSM6 out of the panel and finally got it up and running. Do the gsm units generally go bad? I ordered a new one off eBay for 40$ new in the box.

Ps: as soon as the GSM6 is installed the panel remains dead. Black screen and it kills the voltage to the panel. When I test at the 12v terminals on the back of the panel it kills the power supply. It’s very weird. It like the GSM6 unit has a short. It looks like it’s the gsm6 is shorting out the panel. The 2gig panel works fine with the gsm6 out of the unit. I really hope it’s not the panel that’s bad. Though I don’t see why it operates without the gsm6 plugged into it.

I’m pretty good with electronics so this baffles me. It’s like a bad video card or a bad video card in a desktop Pc.

2G GSM modules are discontinued and AT&T/Tmobile and alarm.com has effectively sunset them. DO NOT ORDER A NEW GSM1-GSM7 module as you will not be able to use it (alarm.com will not allow it to be registered or activated. ADC stopped allowing 2G GSM module registration in 2014).

You need to get a GC3GA-A instead.

I suspect your panel may be irreparably damaged.

Get the GC3GA-A cell module, and if the same issue occurs panel is damaged. Keep in mind though, that if the panel itself is already damaged and you put the new cell module in, you may damage the module

Thanks for the info , I’m not sure what to do. If I order a whole new panel is there an easy way to add all the window sensors to the new panel. Or do I have to add them one by one.

I feel shafted here. The GC3GA-A is 1/2 the price of a whole new panel. :frowning:

Why will alarm.com not let me replace the faulty gsm6?

The GSM6 is a 2G module, it is sunset end of next year (will no longer work). Last year alarm.com stopped allowing 2G cell modules to be registered because they are all obsolete and carrier support is ending.

You can continue to use an existing/registered 2G module (till it stops working due to carrier support sunset), but if you try to activate/register a new 2G module, it won’t allow it.

Only 3G modules are supported for registration/activation.

"Sorry, your Alarm.com cellular module XXXXXXXXXXXXXX has a 2G radio and can no longer be used to create a new Alarm.com account. Please upgrade to a 3G Alarm.com module."

As for backing up panel, and restoring all zones, and programming Q’s, it can be done.

My cell module was damaged, and it ruined the panel MB. I had to replace both the module and panel. I requested panel be backed up, them prior to powering up the new panel/module, I had the backup pushed. Everything restored except the image sensor, the keypad/TS1, some user codes, and panel settings like volume and brightness, and zwave devices. All these had to be manually reprogrammed.

Thanks again for the quick reply. So alarm.com has all the sensors backed up already. At least the ones I pay for them to monitor. All I need to do is call them and request a backup? Can they backup all my aware devices too? Man this is going to be a real pain if I have to program all the lights in the whole house again. I don’t even know where to begin.

Again this really stinks. But hey it’s electronic so I guess it can fail just like a TV.

Thanks again for your help.

You will have to manually install all zwave/automation devices, so be sure to delete them off old panel’s mesh network (reset zwave controller via services toolbox)

You would need to contact your Alarm.com Service Provider regarding a backup. If you are a current suretyDIY customer, please email customerservice@suretyDIY.com

Thanks guys, they charge 48$ for a backup. It’s only 18 sensors. But the wave devices will be a pain in the butt to figure out what’s what.

I have all my windows and door sensors serial numbers written down. But the Zwave devices will be tricky

Ps: I glad I found this forum. Thanks for all the help.

Thanks guys, they charge 48$ for a backup. It’s only 18 sensors

Ouch!! I am surprised they even charge for that.

Why did you write down the serials? You can use the “learn” programming option, and the panel will program it automatically.

Ahh lol,mi am learning right now. You guys are great ill try that feature.

Nice I got lucky, the great people over at alarm relay got the new GSm6 working, he said we can try to push it threw and bingo it’s all working again. The tech said he will try to push a firmware update so I can use a new GsM , he said by next year all 2G cards will have to be replaced in all existing units.

Thanks for all your help guys. I got really lucky today. The panel was not damaged just the GSM 6 and At&T let the 2g card threw.

I’m so glad. We’re going to Hershey Pa next month and can use the 300$ I spent on a replament panel.

The panel was not damaged just the GSM 6 and At&T let the 2g card threw.

Alarm.com let the new GSM6 module be registered to an existing ADC account. Excellent.

The tech said he will try to push a firmware update so I can use a new GsM , he said by next year all 2G cards will have to be replaced in all existing units.

The newer cell modules are CDMA and HSPA.

The newest firmware is currently 1.13. Make sure they push the most current, or do it yourself. (firmware is released approx. twice a year, if you do the firmware update yourself you need the $24 firmware update cable (2GIG-UPCBL2)

Free Firmware download: List of Files

Firmware changelog:

V1.8 included TS1 touch panel support, fixes for the XCVR2, and 2way voice, silent arming and backlight off control, zwave fixes, usability improvements and enhancements, canadian-french language support, installer/configuration enhancements, firmware downloads and update cable option added, etc.

V1.9.6 includes bug fixes, backlight “always on” option (Q89), minor updates to 1.9.4/1.9.5 which enabled 3G ADC (alarm.com) cellular modules, etc. (v1.9/v1.9.2 added new support for sensors like dbell1, and smkt3, UI changes, 32 User codes, new chimes, zwave sirens, schlage/Yale lock support, zwave fixes, etc).

V1.10 adds Image Sensor capability, zwave lock motorized deadbolt Schlage capabilities/fixes, and support for zwave (Q90 energy feature) meter, and cellular module support ( Q91 radio modem supplier) for Telguard and Uplink celluar modules, minor bug fixes, UI changes, etc

V1.10.1 adds support for 2GIG GC3GA-T (AT&T) 3G Cell Radios, and associated Telguard remote services, more zwave lock support/fixes (e.g., scenerio where lock codes were being removed after system configuration changes), minor spanish language fixes, etc.

V1.12 zwave ADC/empower rules lock fix for Schlage locks (BE469), adds support for IP broadband communication capability via the Go!Bridge (adds dual communication for cellular and internet connectivity), new voice descriptors, Portuguese language, minor UI changes, XCVR2 upgraded capability, Improved backend remote capabilities, etc.This update is only for CP; TS1 on 1.10 works with panel on 1.12.

V1.13 adds new voice descriptors, adds Linear Zwave garage door opener remote support for GD00Z, linear zwave wall mount siren/strobe support (WA105DBZ-1), new/renamed equip codes, Q83 expansion for time/date/temp, new Q97 sound selection option, adds Uplink cellular remote services, improved navigation to energy information, new programming options for Go! Bridge (Q92).

The newer cell modules are CDMA and HSPA.

The newest firmware is currently 1.13. Make sure they push the most current, or do it yourself. (firmware is released approx. twice a year, if you do the firmware update yourself you need the $24 firmware update cable (2GIG-UPCBL2)

Free Firmware download: List of Files

Firmware changelog:

V1.8 included TS1 touch panel support, fixes for the XCVR2, and 2way voice, silent arming and backlight off control, zwave fixes, usability improvements and enhancements, canadian-french language support, installer/configuration enhancements, firmware downloads and update cable option added, etc.

V1.9.6 includes bug fixes, backlight “always on” option (Q89), minor updates to 1.9.4/1.9.5 which enabled 3G ADC (alarm.com) cellular modules, etc. (v1.9/v1.9.2 added new support for sensors like dbell1, and smkt3, UI changes, 32 User codes, new chimes, zwave sirens, schlage/Yale lock support, zwave fixes, etc).

V1.10 adds Image Sensor capability, zwave lock motorized deadbolt Schlage capabilities/fixes, and support for zwave (Q90 energy feature) meter, and cellular module support ( Q91 radio modem supplier) for Telguard and Uplink celluar modules, minor bug fixes, UI changes, etc

V1.10.1 adds support for 2GIG GC3GA-T (AT&T) 3G Cell Radios, and associated Telguard remote services, more zwave lock support/fixes (e.g., scenerio where lock codes were being removed after system configuration changes), minor spanish language fixes, etc.

V1.12 zwave ADC/empower rules lock fix for Schlage locks (BE469), adds support for IP broadband communication capability via the Go!Bridge (adds dual communication for cellular and internet connectivity), new voice descriptors, Portuguese language, minor UI changes, XCVR2 upgraded capability, Improved backend remote capabilities, etc.This update is only for CP; TS1 on 1.10 works with panel on 1.12.

V1.13 adds new voice descriptors, adds Linear Zwave garage door opener remote support for GD00Z, linear zwave wall mount siren/strobe support (WA105DBZ-1), new/renamed equip codes, Q83 expansion for time/date/temp, new Q97 sound selection option, adds Uplink cellular remote services, improved navigation to energy information, new programming options for Go! Bridge (Q92).

thanks so much for the info.