2Gig GC3 and ADC-VDB770

Trying to use the GC3’s electronic “chime” capability for my new alarm.com video doorbell.

I have removed my functioning Alarm.com SkybellHD and have replaced it with an ADC-VDB770. Before I physically removed the SkybellHD, I first “deregistered” it from my Alarm.com account. Next I added the ADC-VDB770 to my system, using my 2.4 GHz wifi SSID. BTW - on the new vdb, I have 99% signal strength and I successfully updated the vdb’s firmware today (Oct 9, 2021)

But I want to use my GC3 (this is not the GC3e model) chime capability (not my mechanical doorbell) to sound a chime from the GC3 when the doorbell button is pushed. FYI - I am comfortable programming my GC3.

Installing the VDB Power module - I have connected the two gray wires to the vdb/tansformer circuit (per the installation instructions) and the video works great. I can view video from my Alarm.com app on my iPhone (more responsive and much improved when compared to the SkybellHD)

Now for the doorbell feature:
Q1 - do I connect the two power module white wires to the GC3 terminal block for Zone 1?
Q2 - What programming attributes for Zone 1 should I use…ie. Sensor Type, Normal state, etc?

Thanks in advance! Aero Man

Now for the doorbell feature:
Q1 - do I connect the two power module white wires to the GC3 terminal block for Zone 1?
Q2 - What programming attributes for Zone 1 should I use…ie. Sensor Type, Normal state, etc?

No, do not do this. Energized wires cannot be attached to the zone inputs of the panel.

If you do not want to use the mechanical chime in the home, you may be able to rig a solution using a relay though. I’ve not tried this myself so I cannot vouch for reliability.

You could try a relay which accepts a trigger voltage equaling the output of the chime circuit transformer, then wire the chime side of the power module to the relay trigger input.

Wire from the NC and Common relay terminals to a hardwire zone and GND on the panel terminal block, program that zone as NC, 23 No Response Type, and give it a chime.

Thanks Jason, I’m appreciative that you gave me the “stop” warning and offered the suggestion for using a relay. Previously, with my Skybell HD, I was able to successfully use a relay configuration (Elk 930/960) but am thrilled to retire that VDB. for a variety of reasons. The Alarm.com VDB is SO MUCH better.

Thanks for saving me big bucks by not having to replace a “fried” GC3 panel if I experimented further!