2gig gc2 panel signal jam

I read the 2gig gc2 panel can easily be bypassed because it does not send encrypted rf signals. Is this true? If so, how do.i fix this? Do I need a better panel?

Thanks.

Any wireless RF channel which does not use Encryption and/or Spread Spectrum/Frequency Hopping can be susceptible to jamming/spoofing.

This involves using equipment and remaining within signal range of your system/sensors and mapping sensor ID transmissions to sensors, then flooding the panel radio with signals to mask intrusion.

The 2GIG Panel employs RF Jam detection to notify you when jamming is detected. This is controlled by Q65 in programming.

The only standard wireless sensors you would be looking at that have built-in encryption or other protections are Qolsys S-Line sensors and DSC Power G for Alarm.com. See this thread for some details.

S-Line sensors work the with Qolsys IQ Panel 2. Power G sensors work with the DSC PowerSeries Neo. There is talk of them also being compatible in the future with the IQ Panel 2.

so basically I would need a new panel and all new sensors in order to have encrypted signals?

Is it a big deal or will my 2gig panel detect and notify me?

so basically I would need a new panel and all new sensors in order to have encrypted signals?

To use sensor encryption along with Alarm.com you would need either an IQ Panel 2 or a DSC Powerseries Neo, yes.

Although I do not see a related suretyDIY subscription to this question so you may use a different back-end service depending on your service provider, I could not say. There are a number compatible with 2GIG.

Is it a big deal or will my 2gig panel detect and notify me?

From above, 2GIG Panel Jam Detection can be controlled with Q65 in programming. When the panel detects jamming with Q65 enabled, it notifies with a trouble alert.

I wouldn’t want to appear dismissive, as Encrypted and/or Spread Spectrum RF devices are objectively more secure, avoiding spoofing, however I’ve used a 2GIG panel in my home for years.

To use sensor encryption along with Alarm.com you would need either an IQ Panel 2 or a DSC Powerseries Neo, yes.

If I upgrade my panel to use encryption, do I need to purchase all new sensors? Or will it encrypt with the current sensors I have installed?

If using the IQ Panel 2, you would need the Qolsys S-Line sensors. If utilizing the PowerSeries Neo, you would be looking to utilize the PowerG sensors. Either way, new sensors would need to be obtained when switching panels.

Well I hate to hear that. Wish I had known thay. I have Q-65 enabled now. Any other questions I need to be aware of to make this thing as secure as possible?

Thanks

Many programming questions are going to be as desired. Users coming from alternate providers to suretyDIY have suggested lists to optimize security on a 2GIG GC2. See this post.

You should contact your service provider before making changes however, as if you use a different back-end service than Alarm.com some question changes may impact the functionality of your panel. (like Q91)