2gig encrypted sensors

How does the encryption work, is it easily defeated, and do you recommend them over the unencrypted versions?

Encrypted sensors in general send status transmissions to the panel which are encrypted, meaning the panel must decrypt the message to access the data. It is generally more secure to use encrypted sensors.

2GIG has not posted specific details on the encryption method used by the new e-series sensors (at least that I can find) so we would need to check with 2GIG whether or not those are published.

Note that you would need to have a new eSeries model 2GIG panel (GC2e or GC3e) in order to use encrypted 2GIG sensors.

If you are replacing a panel that doesn’t support encryption I would recommend going with a Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ over the 2GIG options.

Qolsys offers a wider range of compatible encrypted sensors, with both IQ S-Line and Power G compatibility in the standard 319.5 mhz legacy panel.

Alternatively if looking to replace a 2GIG Panel, the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ 345 mhz version will support standard 2GIG 345 sensors (non-encrypted versions) and Power G (for the best encrypted options).

What are the differences between the s line and power g sensors?

S-Line are encrypted transmission 319.5 sensors with 600ft open air range.

Power G sensors are encrypted, frequency hopping spread-spectrum sensors with roughly 2400ft range on the IQ Panel 2+. They also have an adaptive range feature which allows them to transmit using the right amount of power and save battery.

Power G sensors are generally industry-leading in terms of most specs.

How would you quantify or otherwise describe how much less secure s line is compared to power g, and how best to evaluate whether the increased cost (I assume) of power g is worth it in a given situation?

Objectively Power G is more secure. Encrypted, Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum signals are very effective at preventing spoofing and jamming attacks. Here is a good description of the benefits of frequency hopping spread spectrum signaling.

S-Line communicates both an unencrypted and an encrypted signal simultaneously and panel programming decides which to accept. So the panel won’t listen to unencrypted signals from the zone, but sensor activity is still also transmitted without encryption.

Objectively it provides a better range. The benefits aren’t always applicable to the situation, and the IQ Panel 2+ supports both simultaneously, so there is definitely no need to only use Power G or only use S-Line. You can mix and match if desired.

That said, the price difference is not usually too bad. Definitely choose Power G for questionable range issues. .

I’ve paired PowerG sensors exclusively with my IQ2+ plan and they’ve worked great. The cost difference is negligible (in my opinion) for a device with superior technology. Again, IMO.
One thing to note, some features on a few of the PG sensors are not available on the Qolsys system. For example, the PIR motion, when used on a DSC system, allows you to turn off the LED, adjust the event counter and high traffic shutdown settings. These setting do not appear to be available on my Qolsys panel, despite the Qolsys compatibility sheet noting “no limitations”.
At the end of the day, these features do not impact usability (to me), but may be worth noting.
I opted for the PowerG sensors for the frequency hopping technology since I was unable to install a wired system and jamming was a concern for me.