2GIG and Alarm.com Questions

I have a 2 GiG. I have door sensors and just installed a couple of z wave switches. I have read a lot about buying the module and setting the Qs. I have been searching and can’t seem to figure this out, the firmware is 1.9.6 do I need to up grade the firmware to 1.13 for the locks to work (planing on getting them soon and other devices) or will 1.9.6 work with everything? Does the update (if I need to do it to work properly) need to be done with the cable or can it be updated over the cell? also do you have a kit that has gold service cable and cell online?
Thanks

the firmware is 1.9.6 do I need to up grade the firmware to 1.13 for the locks to work

Further firmware updates improved/allowed compatibility with a number of models, primarily Schlage.

We always recommend updating firmware as far more than locks have been added to compatibility. We only recommend not updating to 1.14.01 directly. Update to 1.13 first, then go to 1.14.01. But generally, firmware as old as 1.9.6 will not be supported very well by the manufacturer, and a lot of general improvements have been made in newer versions.

need to be done with the cable or can it be updated over the cell?

OTA updates are available once connected to our service, but they carry an individual data charge and we do not recommend them. They take a very long time comparatively and any hiccup in communication or power to the panel during that time can cause problems.

Local update using the cable is much faster and a much more controlled method (not to mention you can always grab the latest firmware from our website in the future when new versions are available and update quickly for free.)

also do you have a kit that has gold service cable and cell online?

We have that kit right here.

Thankyou so much, super excited to get this going and saving ton of money.

Glad you’re excited!
We’re always happy to help. If you have any further design or support questions please let us know!

Another question, I havent yet opened the panel to see if it has a 3g module or old 2G. Im going to request Vivint to unlock module (I know chances are slim to none, but worth a shot) if they unlock it and it’s a 3G can I use that module? Also how do I go about opening the panel to check the cell without setting off alarm Or a tamper alarm? Just unplug it and take battery out? Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately I have never heard of a module from that dealer working anywhere else. All modules are “locked” while an account is active and assigned to that module for any dealer, but these in particular are not registered for use with any other provider. The serial numbers are simply locked to one dealer and cannot be registered anywhere else.

In every case I know, a new module was necessary.

That solves that! I’ll get the kit make it a less of a headache. Thanks!