2gig AC1 AC Switching Power Supply

I have removed the old DSC panel and put a blank plate over it use to reside.

If I want to put my 2gig panel on the wall where the DSC panel was, can I get the 2gig AC1 AC Switching Power Supply and replace the transformer in my master closet? I should then be able to connect the existing wires behind the wall into the 2gig panel to power it, correct?

Alarm wire is 22AWG and only red and green are connected to the transformer.

can I get the 2gig AC1 AC Switching Power Supply and replace the transformer in my master closet?

The 2GIG Panel comes with an AC1 transformer. Unless it was purchased used and the transformer wasn’t included, you should definitely have one already.

Just to clarify, the 2GIG Panel should not be powered off of an old panel board (typically in a metal housing). It must be directly connected to the AC1 14VDC transformer.

That said, yes you can certainly reuse wiring in most situations. Whether or not 22AWG and only two strands would be sufficient would depend on the wire length between the panel and transformer. If possible with the 22AWG try doubling up the conductors so you are using two for positive, two for negative. This will effectively give you a larger gauge wire.

My 2GIG panel is currently powered with the barrel connector power supply (AC2-Plug). Whether or not it also came with with the AC1 transformer, I can’t remember. It’s also possible I could have lost it in my last move or two.

I assumed with the transformer in the closet, I could replace that transformer with the AC1 and wire it up. It doesn’t sound that simple though. So does the transformer currently in the closet send power to the DSC board in the security box, then the board sends power to panel in the laundry room?

I was trying to keep things neat and clean, but this may not be worth the hassle.

So does the transformer currently in the closet send power to the DSC board in the security box, then the board sends power to panel in the laundry room?

Yes, it would depend on the model of DSC panel you used. There are all-in-one DSC panels like the Impassa which would be just like the 2GIG in terms of wiring setup, but in most cases people are referring to keypads connected to traditional metal-housing security panels with the control board inside.

If you have a traditional panel with metal housing, the old Transformer is powering that board, then the keypad would have been powered off of the board output.

To reuse the wiring and plug the AC1 transformer into the same place, you would need to splice the keypad wires to the transformer wires to bypass the board. This may make the wiring too long depending on where the old transformer and panel box are located (though they are usually very close to one another).