Window sensor too big for window frame

New here. In the process of installing window contacts (QS1135-840) but the smaller piece of the contact set is bigger to fit on the other side of the window pane. How do I go about installing these? Any idea or suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Can you submit a photo of the installation point?

Do you have a measurement of the gap distance?

The sensor itself would be mounted on top of the bottom sash, and the magnet at the bottom of the top sash. The magnet needs distance to clear that gap between the top and bottom sashes. The QS1135-840 magnet is likely too big for most double hung applications

I will post a picture in a minute but a lot of the windows have enough clearance and the sensor fits fine but a few are problematic. I am pulling my hairs and trust me, I don’t have many left to pull … :slight_smile:

Pictures as requested. Please help…

A similar post is found here:

The slimmest sensor magnets I have seen, which would likely fit in your case would be the RE122 Nanomax. It is a 319.5Mhz compatible sensor.

Are these slim magnets/sensors encrypted? That’s the whole reason why I upgraded from a 2GIG GC3 to an IQ Panel 4 was to have all my sensors encrypted. Please suggest.

No, the RE122 is not encrypted.

You can try the magnet with the encrypted S-Line sensor though. The magnetic gap may be shorter, but the issue here is getting the magnet as small as possible, the gap will naturally be as short as needed.

Looks like you may be able to get the magnet I am referencing by itself here.

I cannot vouch for the seller website, but it looks like the checkout process allows guest checkout and may sell individual magnets.

I have similar sensors and magnets from my 2GIG GC3 system. They should work too with the encrypted S-Line sensors, correct? Worth a try at least or maybe double the sensors (top, bottom sash) for those 6 trouble windows if all else fails? Suggestions?

You can try the 2GIG DW10 magnet for example, but I think those are the same size roughly as the S-Line magnets.

If you have an RE222 or older mighty mouse resolution products 2GIG compatible sensor, then yes you can just try those magnets. Those would be the same as the RE122 magnet I am talking about.

Another thing you can do that I’ve seen some pro installers do too is just remove the white casing from the magnet and install the magnet itself on its own. That way you don’t spend more on different magnets. I’ve done those with most of my windows due to the small clearance as well and work perfectly with no issues

1 Like

Excellent idea. Thank you for pointing that out. Do you see any potential issues with this approach? Magnate being outside the casing, will they cause any issues or degradation of connection with the sensor? How do we attach it to the window pane, glue? Please advise. Thanks.

I doubt you’ll run into any issues, I’ve had them this way for 4 years now with no issues. Regarding how to attach them to the window, you can use the double sided tape the sensor came with and just cut it to a smaller size for just the magnet. If you used it already on the casing, any good quality double sided tape that you can get from the hardware store can work, such as the 3M ones. The magnet is the lightest piece of the sensor so you shouldn’t have much issues with it staying in place as long as you clean the area first and dry before sticking it.

Thank you so much for the help. It worked for me!! Putting in the last perimeter sensor now. Thanks again!!

1 Like

Magnate being outside the casing, will they cause any issues or degradation of connection with the sensor?

It won’t really affect how the magnet closes the sensor’s reed switch, but exposing the magnet will risk it being damaged since the magnet itself is brittle. Shock on the bare magnet can crack it and it can fall apart. Just make sure it is installed in a way where it won’t be physically struck, and be extra careful if ever attaching one directly to a metal surface.

Thanks Jason !