What do I need to utilize a SkyBell HD?

Just to make sure I can rule out things when discussing with ADC (they will force the basic questions first) have you tried to access with multiple mobile devices and possibly on different networks? Have you always tested while connected to wifi at home?

Another important datapoint is that the problem persisted when I flashed to Skybell firmware and tried to use it with the Skybell app (on ADC support’s suggestion)

For what it’s worth I’ve never actually seen this work. In tests here I get the same result with an ADC branded Skybell trying to register with the Skybell HD standard app. There is a whole lot of poor information on the whole process. That is part of it that I am looking to clear up.

So… think i might have stumbled across something.

I’m on iOS 10.2 (public beta)… I can’t get LTE video to work on T-Mobile.

My wife is on stock ios 10.1.1 and she CAN view video over LTE (also on T-Mobile).

It appears this is an issue with the Beta iOS 10 version.

Can anyone else confirm?

Just to make sure I can rule out things when discussing with ADC (they will force the basic questions first) have you tried to access with multiple mobile devices and possibly on different networks? Have you always tested while connected to wifi at home?

No worries. We’ve tried in on four iPhones and an iPad. We don’t have any Android devices but the Skybell guy tried it on his. I’ve tried it on my wifi at work for a different connection.

ADC never gave me a ticket number but I was working with Phil Pilon.

Thanks,
Ben

H20wakebum’s observations are interesting. Same firmware number and everything? I call bogus that there is any difference in the adc and non-branded cameras.

I ordered a skybell HD right from their website and can try it on a verizon hotspot when it arrives.

That having been said, I have never been able to get my ring doorbell to work over a Verizon hotspot.

Same firmware number and everything? I call bogus that there is any difference in the adc and non-branded cameras

The distinction is described here.

I ordered a skybell HD right from their website and can try it on a verizon hotspot when it arrives.

That having been said, I have never been able to get my ring doorbell to work over a Verizon hotspot.

Let us know if you can confirm the same issue. We’ve requested ADC look into this, but it sounds like Verizon ultimately might be a bottleneck to resolve.

Thanks for that. Ultimately we will need to get ADC or Skybell to recreate it in the lab, but in the meantime having additional confirmation of the issue would be helpful.

I hate to jump in late on this, but what was necessary when you went from the Skybell HD app to ADC? I’ve got an ADC-flavored SkyBell but set it up via the Skybell HD app first. Do I need to release/disassociate it from my Skybell account or do a reset?

Thanks,
Carl

what was necessary when you went from the Skybell HD app to ADC? I’ve got an ADC-flavored SkyBell but set it up via the Skybell HD app first. Do I need to release/disassociate it from my Skybell account or do a reset?

If the current Skybell HD firmware matches the ADC firmware in use you should be able to factory reset the Skybell HD and learn it in via your Alarm.com App.

The issue discussed in a few threads is that if Skybell’s current firmware (loaded when connecting to the retail app) is newer than what is supported through ADC, it may not work.

Latest ADC firmware is 1104.

Thought I’d bump this and see if there are any new thoughts or updates regarding access issues via cellular. I don’t know if this is a new issue for me or I just happened to notice it since I’m on Wi-Fi majority of the time.

When on T-mobile (LTE or 4G), neither my wife or I are able to access the Skybell live feed. Actually, there are a couple video streaming apps I use to access my surveillance cameras that I’ve notice also fail on T-mobile LTE. Everything works fine on my iPad while on AT&T service. Interestingly enough, if I tether my iPad to my phone’s hot spot and access via T-mobile, I can stream everything successfully on the iPad (10.2). Makes me think the comment above pointing at an iPhone specific 10.2 issue with T-Mobile may be correct, rather than a blanket T-mobile issue.

Any thoughts?

I can 100% confirm it’s related to the latest build of alarm.com and iOS 10.2.

LAtest version of alarm.com on 10.1.1 LTE streaming WORKS… 10.2 LTE does not work.

Also see some comments on app store re: the latest version and 10.2 bugs with streaming.

Hope this helps.

Interesting that it’s limited to certain carriers on iPhone only builds. No issues with latest iPad build and AT&T. Apples and oranges, but the only comparison point I have.

So after messing around with this today, I came up with a temporary workaround. I’d like to see if you can replicate this H20wakebum, or anyone else that might have the issue.

I did a few packet captures in Wireshark to see where the ADC data was going on Wi-Fi so I could do a trace route on LTE to see what the hold up was. Long story short, after messing with it for a while I realized that doing a trace route to ANY website on LTE resolved the issue of the video feed failing and expected activity resumed. Not only in the Alarm.com app, but also the apps I use for my surveillance cameras. This was on my iPhone 7 plus running 10.2.1 beta and carrier settings T-Mobile 27.1 and was replicated on my wife’s 7 Plus on 10.2. Flipping Airplane mode on and off resets the “fix” so I assume it’s something tied to the IP and possibly ipv6 related. Haven’t tested to see how long it holds, but I’d imagine pretty short lease durations so probably not long.

I’m linking a video I made below (if allowed) to demonstrate:

I’ve got a call scheduled with a T-Mobile support person Sunday, so hopefully they can at least forward it up to the network engineers. I’m sure it will result in finger pointing … Apple vs App developer vs carrier.

Love to see if anyone else with this issue can duplicate the tracert temp fix. Just search the app store for “tracert”, grab a free app, type in any website, and see if you can stream your ADC video after.

I’ve got a call scheduled with a T-Mobile support person Sunday, so hopefully they can at least forward it up to the network engineers. I’m sure it will result in finger pointing … Apple vs App developer vs carrier.

Finding a work-around like this usually spurs the engineers to get involved since it essentially proves the claimed issue and cannot be attributed to user error by support reps. There may still be some pointing, but this is a good start.

Hi,

I know this is a long time ago for the thread but I am having an issue.

I am with alarm.com and i want to unsubscribe as i no longer can afford the rate of my security company.

I have a SKYBELL HD doorbell and its linked with alarm.com. I have deleted the doorbell and tried to sync it up with the SKYBELL HD app and not alarm.com app but it does not SYNC it always has an error during the syncing process saying that it can’t connect to the wireless network.

Can anyone help me with how I can change the firmware from alarm.com to the regular one?

Thanks

I am with alarm.com and i want to unsubscribe as i no longer can afford the rate of my security company.

We’re sorry to hear that. Keep in mind suretyDIY is an Alarm.com service provider with low prices and entirely month to month service.

I have a SKYBELL HD doorbell and its linked with alarm.com. I have deleted the doorbell and tried to sync it up with the SKYBELL HD app and not alarm.com app but it does not SYNC it always has an error during the syncing process saying that it can’t connect to the wireless network.

We cannot guarantee that swapping will always work, as firmware changes may affect this. To clarify, just in case, note that the Slim Line version of the Skybell will only work through Alarm.com. The circular Skybell HD models are the only ones which we have seen successfully flip between back-ends. Firmware is otherwise shared between ADC and Skybell. Firmware will flash during setup according to support.

Beyond that though, if you can view your Skybell through the Skybell native app and it is failing during the pair process, you may have separate issues. Be sure your smartphone has data turned off and is connected to the same wifi network as the Skybell HD. This means you may need to disable 5ghz network on your router during setup, as your phone may connect to it, but the Skybell cannot.