VDB105 Slow to connect after button push

I have dealt with this from the beginning of install, but just never dug into resolving it until now. This doorbell cam works perfect every time I view feed from the app, never a delay in connecting. As soon as the button is pushed and I try to view in the app from the notification on my phone, the camera takes forever to load video and many times just says cannot load. My network is solid and just checked the website I am seeing 88% signal strength. Any ideas on why this would be happening on button push? That is kind of the main reason to have this device, to respond to button pushes.

I have dealt with this from the beginning of install, but just never dug into resolving it until now.

Is this intermittent, or constant?

As soon as the button is pushed and I try to view in the app from the notification on my phone, the camera takes forever to load video

Does this occur on cellular data, wi-fi, or both?

My network is solid and just checked the website I am seeing 88% signal strength

What is your upload speed at the install site? Currently showing 76% signal strength which should be fine. Wi-Fi normalized signal strength of 66% or higher with Internet upload speed of 2 Mbps or higher is necessary for standard function on the VDB105.

Bringing the router closer to the VDB105 may help to get better signal strength. Utilizing an extender with a visible network (with a unique SSID) may help as well.

My normalized signal strength is a bit lower than the OP, in the mid-60s, but I have experienced the exact same issue as described. It is a consistent issue when the button is pressed. So I am also interested in any additional troubleshooting tips.

My normalized signal strength is a bit lower than the OP, in the mid-60s, but I have experienced the exact same issue as described. It is a consistent issue when the button is pressed. So I am also interested in any additional troubleshooting tips.

Your account shows that you have a VDB770, not a VDB105. Recommendations are similar but not the same.

The VDB770 requires a little more upload speed and the recommended range for a solid connection without hiccups is a 79% + normalized signal strength.

The first step would be to try to improve that signal. Do you see the same activity with a closer/better 2.4 ghz signal source? Does the timing improve?

So that we can best assist, can you provide rough times for how long it takes to connect via accessing live view vs button press calls?

I see, thanks for the correction. I have moved the doorbell to a slightly stronger signal source and there does appear to be some improvement based on the first few tests I’m running. Will monitor this more over the next few days to verify. I can’t move existing router/APs any closer to the doorbell, so I might have to look into a repeater.

I’m actually using the IQ Panel 2’s network to connect my Remotes, and it is located very close to the doorbell. Could I connect the doorbell to that network? I’d assume not but figured I would ask to be certain.

Also, might it be worth trying a 5 Ghz network with a decent signal to rule out potential interference on the 2.4?

Finally getting a chance to respond.

I am not certain that it is a bandwidth issue since the only time there is an issue connecting is when the button is pressed. I can be connected to the same wifi network as the doorbell, open the app and view the camera and I am viewing the live feed within 3 seconds. I am responding to a notification of the button being pressed top pull up the feed it will intermittently not connect. Many times it will say cannot connect at all.

Could this by chance be an issue of 2 phones attempting to connect at the same time or 2 phones attempting to respond to the notification?

Also, might it be worth trying a 5 Ghz network with a decent signal to rule out potential interference on the 2.4?

Generally I would not. 5Ghz tends to only introduce issues, but specifically to test what you are referencing you may as well.

I’m actually using the IQ Panel 2’s network to connect my Remotes, and it is located very close to the doorbell. Could I connect the doorbell to that network?

You could try this as well. If it is very close you might end up with a much better signal. Any luck?

Could this by chance be an issue of 2 phones attempting to connect at the same time or 2 phones attempting to respond to the notification?

Initially I would say probably not, but do you have multiple phones attempting to connect when you see this occur? If you test it while definitively using only one device to answer, is there any difference?

You could try this as well. If it is very close you might end up with a much better signal. Any luck?

So the doorbell will connect to the panel’s wifi and will stream, but I did not detect any improvement in performance despite a ~10% stronger normalized signal strength. Frankly, I was disappointed that the signal strength wasn’t even better given that the panel is located 5 feet from the doorbell. I assume that is because the panel’s wifi is really just designed for the low data transfer requirements of IQ Remotes and therefore isn’t as strong as most routers. Based on some speedtests I ran, the panel’s wifi has only half of my router’s upload speed at the location of the doorbell despite being 30 feet closer. So for this reason I decided to keep the doorbell connected to the router instead of the panel’s wifi.