Upgrading from GC3 to GC3e

Hi,

Is there any compatibility issue with monitoring if I upgrade my GC3 to a GC3e? Can I pull my cell sled out of my GC3 and use it in the GC3e? Is there anything else I should consider before upgrading?

Thank you,
David

I believe only thing u would need to do is actual just replace the panels just take cellular card out place it in the new panel but first what type cellular communicator do u have is it cdma or 3g

The GC3e series panel is compatible with 2GIG 345 Legacy (non encrypted) sensors as well as any 2GIG secondary panels you may be using with your current GC3.

The biggest difference between the GC3 and the GC3e series is the use of encrypted sensors and physical appearance.

The GC3e series uses the same cell sleds as the 2GIG GC3 but I’ll have to confirm if both 3G and 4GLTE sleds work with the E-Series. I will follow up with more information.

Confirmed with 2GIG, should you have a 3G cell sled already connected to Alarm.com, you can still use this cell sled with the 2GIG GC3e series panel (so long as the module remains active with that account)

The 4G LTE works just fine as well.

Hey Tyler, can you check to see if I have a 3G or 4G cell sled? My GC3e is coming with a 4G sled, so I would upgrade to that if my current one is not 3G. If I do use the new sled, do I just need to activate it with you?

Thanks!
-David

Hi David, I can confirm you currently have a CDMA 3G module.

You can upgrade to the 4G module at any time by visiting the System Manager here. Select Swap Cellular Communicator/Panel and enter your new IMEI number to associate it with your account. You’ll be prompted to run a cell phone test on your new panel to connect it to our service!

Thank you, Jason! Will I see any difference in performance or anything by switching to the 4G module? Just curious.

Thanks!

If you notice any difference it should be a positive one. CDMA 3G signaling will be seeing impacts on service leading up to the 3G service sunset in 2022, so it is a good time to make the switch. We very rarely see any 4G coverage concerns.

Hi Jason,

I have the new panel and cell sled. Can you backup and transfer the settings from my old gc3 to my new GC3e?

Thanks,

David

It is typically possible to do a backup, I need to confirm whether or not there are any additional steps when transferring from GC3 to GC3e. I will follow up shortly.

In the meantime, do not use the module swap tool through System Manager. This feature does not support the backup and restore process. It will have to be done manually on our end.

A backup of current panel settings has been run.

We will need your new module’s IMEI number as well, can you Private Message that to us?

Hi Tyler,

I just sent you a private message. Thanks!

-David

When should I power up the new panel? And should I install the new 4G module in the GC3e?

Thanks,

David

You can install the new module into the GC3e however, leave the new panel powered down completely.

When ready, completely power down the existing panel as well, transformer then battery. Let us know here or in PM when both panels are powered down.

Yes, unless there is a reason to leave the green button, you can remove it so I can access the other features.

Both panels are completely powered down now and the 4G module is in the new panel.

Thanks,

David

Green button has been removed. You should be able to access service swtiching features in System Manager at this time.

As for the panel swap, the process has been initiated. Please wait about five minutes then power up the GC3e with the new module installed.

Once booted up, it can take about 10-15 minutes for the sensors to be restored on the new panel. You will know the process is complete with sensors are populated locally. After seeing the full sensor list, wait a few more minutes for users to populate as well.

The panel may reboot once the process is complete.

Afterwards, you will want to run a cell test from the panel as well.

Thank you for updating the account.

The new panel is installed and powered up…just waiting for the restore to take place.

I will have you check it on your end once it’s done.

Thanks!

David

Hey Tyler, I have the new panel installed. I connected my August lock via Z Wave but it says it is still connecting with the S0 security protocol, but the GC3e has the upgrade S2 security protocol. Can you let me know why it is not showing the S2 protocol?

Also, can you check to make sure everything looks good with the new panel on your end?

Thanks!

-David

Also, the Z Wave lock will lock/unlock from the panel, but not from the app or the website. Any thoughts on why that may be?

Thanks!

What is the make/model of the August lock? The GC3e is S2 compatible.

Z-Wave devices may take a few minutes to populate in Alarm.com however I have sent some commands to push the sync through. In about five minutes

After removing the Z-Wave lock from the network and then re-adding it, was the lock left within 6 ft of the panel for at least five minutes after the pairing process completed? What about a network rediscovery?

I am seeing a full list of sensor populated in Alarm.com and the new panel/module are being shown.

Hey Tyler, something really strange is going on. I did a factory reset on my panel. I have it powered down currently. Can you run another restore? Thank you!