TS1 pairing failure after firmware update

As other users have reported, after upgrading to v1.14.0.1, my TS1 will not pair with the control panel.

Yes, the cable was set properly facing the way it should according to the instructions and videos. Yes, both the CP and TS1 are within a few feet. Yes, the 900mhz is set properly. Yes, I tried to disable the TS1 in the CP and restarted it. Yes, I pressed both devices “Learn” buttons. I have not tried to flash back to V1.13 (which worked fine) nor tried V1.16 that is posted in another website.

The only noticeable issue is that the CP firmware version now shows V1.14.0.1 and the TS1 shows V1.14. I do not think SuretyDIY has realized that even though the zip files you posted in the firmware download section may be labeled as 1.14.0.1, in reality the TS1 version is older, causing several users to complaint about the same pairing issue as both devices should be running the same versions. Think about it, the CP works fine after the upgrade, but the TS1 does not; how is it possible that everyone put the cable backwards as suggested as one of the root causes and who in the right mind bricks a $200 piece of equipment just because?

If someone from 2GIG made an honest mistake, please notify it so you can tell users how to fix the issue if any. Purchasing a new CP or Keypad because someone may have not been careful should not be an option.

As other users have reported, after upgrading to v1.14.0.1, my TS1 will not pair with the control panel.

This is a frustrating issue to be sure, but if it is related to previous occurrences, the problem is not the TS1 itself, but the control panel. It also is not isolated to 1.14.01. I’ve seen it occur with 1.10 firmware as well.

The only noticeable issue is that the CP firmware version now shows V1.14.0.1 and the TS1 shows V1.14.

TS1s do not typically have incremental updates. They have a base version to match new features of the Go!Control, and incremental updates are only applied to the main control panel.

1.14 is the required TS1 firmware to use with Control panel firmware 1.14.01. The links you are using to download and install firmware updates are actually the same ones we use.

how is it possible that everyone put the cable backwards as suggested as one of the root causes and who in the right mind bricks a $200 piece of equipment just because?

Putting a cable in backward can indeed brick the TS1 itself, but if the TS1 is functioning in this case and simply cannot communicate with the 2GIG Panel, another issue is likely occurring (and the forum post you are referencing likely does not apply)

If it is what I suspect, it seems to occur in rare circumstances (I’ve seen no pattern as to when it might occur, only the type of panel it might affect) on older model 2GIG Panels when updated to a firmware version 1.10 or higher. No 900mhz devices will be read by the panel radio. New TS1s will also not learn in.

One thing you might try is reflashing 1.9.6 firmware on the control panel and 1.9 firmware on the TS1. A caution: going backward from 1.14.01 has shown to default programming. If you do reflash 1.9.6, does this resolve the issue?

You might also try 1.13 if you did just update from that version, although we cannot say for certain whether either would have an effect. The issue is an extremely frustrating one and pretty much impossible to reproduce.

After just unplugging the TS1 to reflash to a different version, it became unresponsive and it seems like is not getting power at all. I checked the power cable connections and everything is normal. I also pressed/held both TS1 buttons, but nothing happens. What other suggestions can you offer? Would an OTA update bring back to life my TS1 and pair it with the CP? By the way, I have a 2GIG-CP21-345E. I called 2GIG, but they charge $50 per call to troubleshoot; is it worth it or is the unit completely useless?

Thanks.

Well unfortunately we may have two problems going on if the TS1 no longer powers on. Previously, after the update to 1.14.01 and 1.14, did the TS1 power on and show that it could not connect?

The issue I am referring to affects the Go!Control panel directly. This forum post goes over the issue.

In all the previous cases, a new control panel is all that could resolve the issue.

An OTA update can only affect the TS1 if it is communicating with the control panel. If it is not powering on or communicating normally, that would not be possible.

The TS1 had power as of my previous post on August 17th. I left it alone until the next day when I received your suggestion, unplugged it, and it just died. I read the post carefully and it’s more reason to believe that the firmware is damaging the CP and/or TS1s. The CP seems to be working fine with V1.14.0.1, can I just flash it back to V1.13 (which was working fine) and just replace the TS1? Is there a difference between a 2GIG-CP21-345E and a 2GIG-CP21-345E2?

Looking at the post’s date from the other user, a few years later and 2GIG still have not provided a solution other than suggest users have to purchase new equipment simply because they failed to warn that their firmware does not work? Can SuretyDIY be a little bit more aggressive seeking an answer from 2GIG; not just for my own equipment, but for any other user who may attempt to upgrade to 1.14.01?

I read the post carefully and it’s more reason to believe that the firmware is damaging the CP and/or TS1s. The CP seems to be working fine with V1.14.0.1, can I just flash it back to V1.13 (which was working fine) and just replace the TS1?

The firmware update process is no doubt the catalyst for the issue where the Go!Control Panel can no longer communicate with 900 mhz devices. However, it appears to be tied to the older hardware. To clarify: does your panel have the word “emergency” spelled out under the physical emergency button, or does it have three symbols?

The CP has been the problem in all prior cases. No new TS1 could be connected, and no existing ones worked with the panel, a new XCVR2 transceiver did not help. Of the few times we’ve seen it (I think this is the fifth in 3 years, I’d have to check) the CP had to be replaced in order to use any 900mhz device.

Keep in mind that 1.14.01 was not available when this first occurred (it was on a 1.10 update locally here) and that the actual firmware version has nothing to do with it as far as we can tell.

The problem appears to be a conflict with older hardware and post-1.9.6 versions.

That said, we are of course happy to assist and push 2GIG for any new information. If it does only affect the older model, there may not be a positive update as these would all be long out of manufacturer warranty.

And yes, the control panels themselves otherwise worked fine when this occurred, at least in the cases I am aware of, they just fail to communicate across 900mhz.

The CP has three small symbols, which I believe is the most recent GC2 model. The TS1 has the words “Home” and “Emergency” spelled out.

Just so I’m clear Jason: Since the TS1 became inoperable after the upgrade, I have to purchase a new control panel (2GIG-CP21-345E2) and a new TS1? Double Whammy!!! At least, can I transfer the XCVR2, CDMA Cell Radio Module, and request some sort of backup from SuretyDIY to avoid having to re-program every single sensor again?

I honestly believe that if 2GIG is not aware of this issue, their firmware will never get fixed and control panels and TS1s will continue to be bricked with bad V1.14 updates.

At least, can I transfer the XCVR2, CDMA Cell Radio Module, and request some sort of backup from SuretyDIY to avoid having to re-program every single sensor again?

Yes, a backup can be run of existing sensors and system programming. This can be applied to a new panel, however a few steps need to be followed in order to ensure the best chance of success:

– Let us know you would like a backup run. Our team will confirm when a backup has been run of current settings.
– Power down old panel, install existing module into new panel.
– Let us know you are ready to push settings.
– We’ll confirm when the restore is initiated.
– Then power up the new panel with module and antenna. (do not power up the new panel before the restore is pushed)

We’ll follow up here with updates from 2GIG

Thank you Jason. Please go ahead and run a backup of existing sensors and system programming. If it backsup the old TS1 settings, will I still be able to setup a new CP and TS1 without issues as long as both have the same versions?

If I decide to sell the old panel, do I need to perform a factory reset so the new owner can activate it or just leave it as is with V1.14.0.1 so the new owner can add other devices?

Backups do not apply to 900mhz devices or Z-wave. The backup is for sensor programming, users, and panel Q programming, so the TS1 would not be included.

Due to the fact that there was an issue with the TS1 directly which popped up (and is typically not involved in the issue I described) I would recommend trying to connect a new TS1 to your current panel first, just as a test to make sure a panel is needed. If a new TS1 does not connect, it is certainly the issue described and a new CP would be necessary.

But on the off chance that the TS1 itself was actually damaged during the first firmware update, it might save having to swap panels. It is unlikely, but probably worthwhile. Keep in mind products ordered on suretyDIY have a 30 day return policy (with all parts/packaging) so if the panel is not needed, it can be sent back.

If I decide to sell the old panel, do I need to perform a factory reset so the new owner can activate it or just leave it as is with V1.14.0.1 so the new owner can add other devices?

Factory default does not change the firmware version of the panel, just defaults programming, and is a good idea if you sell the panel.

Makes more sense now. I will order a TS1 from SuretyDIY and request V1.14.0.1 to be pushed to avoid any issues on my end with the reflashing process.

I just ordered a new TS1. Please go ahead and run a backup of existing sensors and system programming. Since my old CP has V1.14.0.1, I will upgrade the TS1 to V1.13 and then to V1.14.0.1; will keep my fingers crossed and hope it works, otherwise I will have to purchase a new CP as you recommended.

Thank you very much for your assistance! Please keep up the great work; this is the best Security monitoring I have seen in a long time. Have tried several other bigger (more expensive) companies and their level of service is not even close to SuretyDIY.

We are always happy to assist. Let us know if any further troubleshooting is needed with the CP. Hopefully the TS1 itself was at fault.

I just received the TS1 (v1.14) from your company, and after 2 tries, it paired with my CP (v1.14.0.1). I still don’t know why the other keypad failed suddenly, but at least I didn’t have to purchase another CP.

Hope this helps the few other users that may encounter this issue.

That would indicate it is likely the original issue we expected (and the second firmware update caused the TS1 issue). This means any new or existing 900mhz device will not work with the CP.

I would recommend trying to connect a new TS1 to your current panel first, just as a test to make sure a panel is needed. If a new TS1 does not connect, it is certainly the issue described and a new CP would be necessary.

Unfortunately in order to use a TS1, a new CP sounds like is necessary. This forum post discusses the problem.

I requested some info from 2GIG, still waiting on feedback.

I just received the TS1 (v1.14) from your company, and after 2 tries, it paired with my CP (v1.14.0.1). I still don’t know why the other keypad failed suddenly, but at least I didn’t have to purchase another CP.

Hey! That update is great news. To clarify, did you perform any different steps or move the panel and keypad closer to one another during pairing when it was successful?

I’m glad it ended up just being a problem with the old TS1.

I did not do anything different, just followed the instructions to pair the TS1. I did not move the TS1 closer to the panel, but I tried to pair at least twice in order to get it to work. Thank you SuretyDIY Team!!!