To anyone considering the IQ and IQ2..

Hi Jason,

Answers below:

1. How long were the power cable runs for your IQ control panel? What gauge of cable are you using?
    About 2.5 feet. It is using the power supply and wiring provided. There is a plug right next to the panel.

2. Are your IQ Panels connected to wifi?
    Yes.

3. Do you have any sensor signal repeaters (RE120)?
    I use HW to GE translator for gate sensors. Resolution Products 13-552 Re124hg Honeywell Ademco to Ge Wireless Translator

Also, my IQ2 panel reliability is worse and unusable now.

Also, my IQ2 panel reliability is worse and unusable now.

Was anything changed that caused worse performance?

What router model are you using?

Do you have additional wifi access points?

Still not providing service in Florida?? Would love to switch to you all and the GC3 when available.

Still not providing service in Florida??

Surety provides no contract DIY alarm.com basic and gold plans in Florida (just not CS)

As of this post, correct, we do not yet offer 24/7 monitoring for Florida, though Alarm.com Interactive plans without monitoring can be used. 24/7 central station monitoring is offered to residents in the state of Florida.

This thread is a rather interesting read, leaving me to wonder if there’s still just some qc worries at a young mfr. While I’m not using a IQ2 yet, I’ve been using the Qolsys system for a bit over a year now with no problems. Combination of resolution and GE sensors, some z wave devices, camera (which granted isn’t part of the panel), all going fine. About the closest thing to a problem I’ve had is the occasional panel lag entering the disarm code. It’s been better and worse through various patches, but that’s about it. No problems with sensors, no loss of supervision, all solid.

It does seem Qolsys definitely rushed the IQ2 panel, and the results there are easy to see.

leaving me to wonder if there’s still just some qc worries at a young mfr.

You’ve struck the nail, I think. Every experience I and as far as I know, the rest of us here, have had with Qolsys has been uniform and as expected.

The issues here may be more indicative of a faulty production run.

Possibly a faulty run, but I suspect it’s really software issues.

Over many years of phones, tablets, and devices I have grown weary of Android. When implemented properly, it works great and I’m a huge fan. Samsung phones and tablets or Google Nexus are excellent examples. Those are largely stable devices that run well - at least minus the inevitable carrier bloat that ensues. When it’s implemented poorly, Android is an utter nightmare. Grab any $50 android-based tablet off the shelf and you will know exactly what I mean.

And that is where I start taking issue with Qolsys. A security system is a critical component. Not to the extent of hospital gear, but it needs to work every single time reliably. There is no room in the security business for working “most of the time”. And when one sets out to create a security panel, usually the focus is on making as few moving parts as possible, along with minimizing bugs and ensuring reliability as top priority.

So, when looking at available option for what to base your security panel on, you have got to be extremely careful with what your foundation is built on. Qolsys is clearly a fan of Android and that’s cool in and of itself. For whatever reason - I know not why - Qolsys decided to build its foundation of the Qolsys panel on an ancient version of Android (2.2) that came out nearly six years ago. That’s six years worth of vulnerability patching, speed and reliability improvements, etc that were skipped over. Vulnerabilities like this: https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/573848 Things that would let someone bypass the IQ panel for your home. That should have never happened. I don’t expect them to be on the latest Android 6.x but there is no earthly reason why they couldn’t have done at least 4.x if not 5.x.

Also with the IQ2 panels, it has become painfully clear that it was a rushed endeavor to create a device to be used at the bedside on the stand and not mounted on the wall. It doesn’t run the same OS as the IQ panel - again no clue why - and it has different hardware capabilities such as the ability to connect to 5ghz networks when the IQ panel can only connect to 2.4ghz networks. It doesn’t utilize RF to talk to the IQ panel even though it probably could - again no clue why as RF is generally far more reliable than wifi connectivity. It is also clear they did not start with quality components. The IQ2 is slow to respond, has a very poor viewing angle, and is prone to sometimes lock up, or lose wifi connectivity or otherwise hamper it’s function as a secondary panel. Everything about the IQ2 says “cheap cheap CHEAP!” except the nice stand they provide. The 2" circle of velcro is just ridiculous.

TL;DR - too many moving parts… too many opportunities for software issues to arise. These are issues you won’t see on Simon/Interlogix or 2GIG or Honeywell because they all use custom firmware not built on Android. There’s probably a reason for that. In years of using the Simon XT/XTi I never ever had something like this happen. So this is where I take issue with Qolsys. I’m not saying everyone is going to have the same problems I did, but the opportunity for those problems are too great. As I sit here and type this, I am still happily surprised every day when my IQ panel works and the IQ2’s stay connected and I have no issues. That should NEVER happen on a device that you are using to protect your family with. As time goes on I may let my guard down, now that additional software patches have helped some.

While it probably sounds like I’m damning Qolsys, it’s because I’m a network security practitioner and evangelist and I scratch my head at some of the decisions they made. I think they meant well, but security-wise some things are a mess. Then as an end-user I scratch my head because so many things can go wrong with this particular setup. Even things like the power, look how close the tolerances are… and this is a panel that is likely to be installed in many locations with long runs of cable to the power adapter.

While I have my frustrations with them, the effort their L3 techs have gone to over the last couple of weeks has been great, and when I was ready to send this gear back and wash my hands of it, they gave me enough help and the right patches that I have had no issues for about a week now, and it feels like I can now keep the system and have it work well enough that they will have software patches out in the near future to dial it in to where it will be good enough for me to stick with. I just wish none of this had been necessary, and it’s a shame because it’s otherwise a fairly compelling product.

With the new IQ2 they are coming out with that is meant to be wall-mounted and powered from the backside, if they fix the issues with lessons learned from the original IQ2 and keep the software updates coming to improve reliability, then I would soften my original statements to say keep an eye on it if you choose this system but I feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel whereas before I did not.

When it’s implemented poorly, Android is an utter nightmare. Grab any $50 android-based tablet off the shelf and you will know exactly what I mean

I understand what you mean, but I would say most $50 tablets are built with hardware not even suited to run the OS.

Also with the IQ2 panels, it has become painfully clear that it was a rushed endeavor to create a device to be used at the bedside on the stand and not mounted on the wall.

I can’t see this as a bad thing. Demand was high for secondary keypads for Qolsys and the IQ2 was a quick clever solution while development of a more traditional keypad was ongoing. The IQ2 won’t meet all situational needs.

The issue of reliability/usability is definitely a concern, but from our experience the majority of the kinks seem to be wifi related/dropped communication, and most of the problems we’ve seen (not all) have been dependent on network setup variations or resolved quickly with firmware.

I would personally also be in the camp of dedicated RF comms between the panel and keypad. However, this implementation in the case of 2GIG, for example, leaves one large unresolved hole, which is the communication distance cannot be improved. Using wifi gets around that easily.

The abundance of networking products on the market is admittedly a double-edged sword. Not all routers are created equal. While Wifi as the primary means of communication for a security panel to your service provider is not something I would rely on, its implementation as a communication path for a secondary keypad to the control panel is, I would think, the way the entire industry may possibly go in the future.

While I have my frustrations with them, the effort their L3 techs have gone to over the last couple of weeks has been great, and when I was ready to send this gear back and wash my hands of it, they gave me enough help and the right patches that I have had no issues for about a week now, and it feels like I can now keep the system and have it work well enough that they will have software patches out in the near future to dial it in to where it will be good enough for me to stick with

Qolsys in-house support are very dedicated individuals. I’m glad to hear that you’ve received assistance. In my experience, Qolsys has delivered fixes for issues quicker than any other manufacturer.

We would expect issues to not occur, so I definitely understand the frustration.

I would personally also be in the camp of dedicated RF comms between the panel and keypad. However, this implementation in the case of 2GIG, for example, leaves one large unresolved hole, which is the communication distance cannot be improved. Using wifi gets around that easily.

Dual path (RF + wifi) should have been employed. :slight_smile:

know not why – Qolsys decided to build its foundation of the Qolsys panel on an ancient version of Android (2.2) that came out nearly six years ago. That’s six years worth of vulnerability patching, speed and reliability improvements, etc that were skipped over. Vulnerabilities like this: https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/573848 Things that would let someone bypass the IQ panel for your home. That should have never happened. I don’t expect them to be on the latest Android 6.x but there is no earthly reason why they couldn’t have done at least 4.x if not 5.x.

The answer to that is quite simple (Occam’s Razor). Android is/was a free to use, free to use as you please, and modify operating system, with no strings attached…the key word being “FREE”

This saved Qolsys a tremendous amount of money that would have otherwise been expended in R&D to develop a codebase platform, or otherwise been paid in expontential licensing fees for using another’s proprietary platform.

At the time development started on the Qolsys system, Android Gingerbread was the available version for developers, and it was probably not cost effective to scrap, start over, and completely rewrite the Qolsys software every year that a new Android version released, so they stuck with the original codebase, modifying it as they went (e.g., updates).

Dual path (RF + wifi) should have been employed.

Pushes the price point up.

I think the new version being developed will likely resolve a lot of the frustrations, meet the additional demands over the original product.

Keep in mind if I recall correctly, 2GIG’s product release schedule was very similar. The Go!Control was available prior to the TS1, and the PAD1 came in between. The PAD1 is quite literally designed to do only one thing. There isn’t any sort of feedback. No arming status.

Qolsys is a very young product which is expanding quite rapidly. It’ll be great to see what the new keypad is like.

At the time development started on the Qolsys system, Android Gingerbread was the available version for developers, and it was probably not cost effect to scrap and completely rewrite the Qolsys software every year

Can’t speak for Qolsys, but yes, I imagine it would be extremely ineffective cost-wise.

I finally gave up trying to make the Qolsys work like it should. Shipped everything back and cancelled my monitoring contract.

So now I have to find something else. I’m considering the 2gig GC3 if it ever becomes available.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

So now I have to find something else. I’m considering the 2gig GC3 if it ever becomes available

An early adopter has to deal with bugs, and things that do not work right, or that are “works in progress”

You didn’t like that aspect with the Qolsys, and I don’t think you will like it with the GC3.

In your case, I suggest you wait a year or two after the initial release so that all kinks, bugs and so on can be worked out. I bet a new hardware revision of the GC3 will release about that time also to address issues. Wait a year (unless you want to be a beta tester, with a panel that will most likely be hardware revised later).

I will not even consider upgrading from the GC2 to the GC3 myself until after a year.

TomZen

I am in a similar situation and have been directed by two different friends in high-end residential/corporate security to go with interlogic concord 4 if bullet proof family protection is your top priority. You’d have to forgo the touchscreen and it’s not as easy to program for a diy-er. But it can do cellular, Zwave, and alarm.com. Hard wired or wireless. Hardware is inexpensive.

I was all set to go touchscreen as well, hate the idea of old style key pads. But since I have a house full of hard wired sensors and only a few wireless this might be a safer alternative until the gc3 or qolsys offer more stable alternatives. I don’t see the gc2 with a small touchscreen with resistive technology as a big upgrade. I’d rather put in a stop gap that I know will work.

Concord 4 or Simon would allow you to most easily reuse existing wireless sensors if any remain.

Z-wave is a bit less accessible on a Concord 4. There is no visual feedback like on a Qolsys/2GIG touchscreen when setting up your network. Devices are learned in through the communications module. (You would need a z-wave enabled version)