Successful upgrade - Post install questions

Installed the IQ2+ last week with my new wireless sensors and now just finished wiring up the 2GIG Take over module and integrating my existing motion and wired contacts. Have to say, just read the instructions and install was pretty easy. All existing sensors added successfully. However as mentioned have some followup questions.

Motion Sensors - I’ve configured these as Away - Instant. Is that how most folks configure these. I guess it make sense as normally wouldn’t want these triggering if home. However I do recall once where, don’t recall why, we enabled them while we were sleeping upstairs. I think this might have been prior to having A/C installed and keeping the windows open overnight in the summer. In any case, would there be an option to enable in Stay mode, or would I have to reconfigure the detectors when needed? More curious than anything as I doubt I have a need for this old scenario again.

Siren - Currently left it as is, wired to the Alarm output connectors. Do I need to shift it to the Aux Output connectors? Also how would I wire in the IQ2+ panel to trigger it. I know I need to run a wire from the IQ2+ but to what input on the Vista?

Panel - 1. I’ve set the screen to black out after a couple of minutes. Is there motion detection option to wake / turn on the display? It does wake up fast enough when I tap it, however it seem to interpret the initial tap/input vs just waking the screen. Thus more than often it immediately prompts for Arming options upon the screen waking up, since that seems to be the location on the screen that is most commonly tapped. Would honestly prefer the screen to auto-wake when in proximity or just turn on screen and then require additional tap for the desired action.
2. Dark Mode Theme - Didn’t see it anywhere as not sure if this has been already asked before, but be nice if the panel had a dark mode option as most Android devices do. I have all of my tablets and Android phone with Dark theme as it’s easier on the eyes and provide better battery life. I would image with the panel it would help with the longevity of the display. Like to submit this as enhancement to Qolsys if not already requested.

Overall very pleased with this thus far. Definitely simple to use and like the additional options of remote monitoring and arming. Glad I did not go down the road of the more cheaply made solutions (SimpliSafe, Nest, etc).

In any case, would there be an option to enable in Stay mode, or would I have to reconfigure the detectors when needed? More curious than anything as I doubt I have a need for this old scenario again

There is no way to arm them in Stay mode sometimes and other times not, but to that end, if you need to arm the motion detectors at night, you can just arm away.

The difference between the two arming modes in terms of sensor function is that interior followers (motion detectors) are not armed during stay.

Currently left it as is, wired to the Alarm output connectors. Do I need to shift it to the Aux Output connectors? Also how would I wire in the IQ2+ panel to trigger it. I know I need to run a wire from the IQ2+ but to what input on the Vista?

I’m not sure 100% what you mean regarding the Vista.

It sounds like you are trying to use the AUX output of the Vista as the power supply and trip the siren by using the siren relay on the IQ Panel 2+ ? We’d need to check the siren model to make sure the relay will support the current draw.

What model of Siren are you trying to use?

I’ve set the screen to black out after a couple of minutes. Is there motion detection option to wake / turn on the display?

There is no proximity option that I am aware in 2.5.2, but you can tap the button on the side to wake up rather than tapping the screen first.

I’ll check with Qolsys on proximity options in the future.

There is no Dark mode, but I’ll see if that might be an option later as well.

Thanks Jason, appreciate if you can relay both suggestions to Qolsys as potential future enhancements.

In regards to the siren, you are correct in that I am trying to use the Vista panel to provide power and have the IQ2+ trigger it. Attached is a photo of the Vista wirining schematic. Currently the siren is connected to the Alarm output. I can easily connect to the Aux output if needed, but still not sure how/where I would connect the IQ2+ to. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I

Yes, you would use the AUX terminals because you would need to have always on power to the siren, then the IQ Panel 2+ alarm relay would open and close that circuit to deliver power to the siren on alarms.

However, the IQ Panel 2+ has a limit of 300ma current draw across the relay. See the wiring diagram below. The Vista panel would just be used as the power supply shown in the bottom right.

wiring diagram

We need to know the model number of the siren itself to know what the current draw of that device is.

Unfortunately I don’t have the details on the siren and nothing noted in my paperwork that I could find or markings on the siren itself. Based on a photo, it is believed to be a Amseco unit and potentially drawing more than the 300ma limit on the IQ2+. Thus reason I was trying to use the Vista to power it. I assume I can do this, Vista provide the power, by simply flipping it to the Aux Output as mentioned. After that, what’s next?

The EXT Siren and GND terminals on the IQ Panel 2+ do not produce voltage. They are just a relay. You would control the power output to the siren by interrupting it with the IQ Panel Relay. See the image I posted.

Replace the power supply in the bottom right with the Vista Aux terminals. That is how to wire it.

However, the relay only supports switching up to 300ma. If the siren draws more than that, it would not be supported. So the current draw of the siren itself is still the limiting factor.

Ok, so I think I understand how it’s supposed to be wired by just using the Vista panel. However to avoid any issues, it was referenced possibly getting this - Altronix RBSN. Will this help avoid any issues with the siren drawing too much amps? If so I will simply pick this up as it seems to be cheap.

Have u thought about just buying a powerg outdoor siren

Yeah, but that’s a little down the road for me. Multiple home projects underway at the moment, so trying to minimize some expenses. I slide this upgrade in at the last minute.

I totally understand just thought I’d mention it there nice for outdoors I love mine only like 150 I think

Yes, you would put the RBSN in between the IQ Panel and the siren. It only draws a small amount of current (15mA) from the IQ Panel’s siren output but it can handle 2A going through the contacts. You would still use the Vista to power the siren. You’d use the RBSN to switch it on and off and the IQ Panel siren output to control the RBSN.

https://www.altronix.com/products/RBSN

Thanks, just ordered it. Looking at the diagram, not sure I understand how to wire this one up. If you can give me directions on this, I think I will then be done with my upgrade for now.

Thanks

Sure I’ll draw something up tomorrow.

I hope this helps! You wire it like in the IQ Panel 2 manual but replace the siren with the RBSN. Then you use the RBSN relay to control the siren.

This is awesome Roy! Thank you very much! I will let you know how I make out once the unit arrives. This seems simple enough to get going.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi Roy, just received the relay and was reviewing this, the connections you listed to the Vista, are they supposed to connect to the positive and negative aux output of the Vista or actually as you listed to connectors 6 and 7? 6 and 7 are the keypads data inputs and outputs on my Vista so wanted to confirm.

Yep, use the aux power terminals. The wiring diagram in the image Roy used looks like it is for a different Vista model.

If your Aux terminals are 4 and 5, then it would get wired to those.

Hmm, ok just wired this up. Unfortunatley nothing, only the panel siren goes off during the siren test. I triple checked all connections and still nothing. Tested multiple times. Any ideas? Any way to test if the module I received was bad?

mind posting a few pictures of the wiring? I’d be happy to take a look at it to be sure

Ok, a little bit of a mess but here goes.