Standby Generator

We are getting a standby generator installed. It’s the kind that starts itself up occasionally to do a self test. IT would be nice to 1) be notified if the self test fails, and 2) monitor the generator during an outage situation. Any way to do this with ADC?

Of note, this is a Generac and they offer

Mobile Link™ Remote Monitoring allows you to monitor the status of your generator from anywhere in the world using a smartphone, tablet, or PC. Easily access information, such as the current operating status and the generator’s maintenance schedule.

…at additional cost, but I don’t know anything more about it.

In researching the Mobile Link it is a $99/year cellular service. I’m not interested in paying them for another cellular service when I already have cellular service for my ADC panel.

I do have the Aeotec Smart Energy Meter, is there any way I can leverage that?

I am not familiar with Generac or their products. It would be best to have a model of generator or link to manual or specs.

In general, if the self test produces line voltage across a feed cable, you can probably use a wired current sensor and a wireless transmitter to monitor when it occurs, and if it is to occur on a schedule then you can note of any failed notification. If it is not on a schedule, this would not really help.

The Aeotec device is a Meter, not a “Sensor” exactly, so you may be able to use it to measure usage of the generator, but I’m not thinking of a way to use it for any kind of notification purpose.

Thanks Warren.

I am not familiar with Generac or their products. It would be best to have a model of generator or link to manual or specs.

This one:

http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/home-backup-generators/guardian-series/22kw-6551-whole-house-switch

Specs: http://gens.lccdn.com/generaccorporate/media/library/content/all-products/generators/home-generators/guardian-series/generac-generators-spec-sheet_guardian-16kw-20kw-22kw.pdf

In general, if the self test produces line voltage across a feed cable, you can probably use a wired current sensor and a wireless transmitter to monitor when it occurs, and if it is to occur on a schedule then you can note of any failed notification. If it is not on a schedule, this would not really help.

It does run on a schedule but I suppose whether it produces voltage on a feed cable is the trick. I would guess that it produces voltage to the transfer switch even during test, but it’s also possible there is some internal logic so it doesn’t actually produce voltage during an engine test. Not sure, I’m not a generator guy either. The transfer switch is outside the house so finding sensors that are rated for outdoor might be another trick.

Can you give an example of a compatible line voltage sensor?

The Aeotec device is a Meter, not a “Sensor” exactly, so you may be able to use it to measure usage of the generator, but I’m not thinking of a way to use it for any kind of notification purpose.

I think I read somewhere that ADC has some kind of “generator” setting for their power meter, could I use this, or is this really intended for solar?

It does run on a schedule but I suppose whether it produces voltage on a feed cable is the trick. I would guess that it produces voltage to the transfer switch even during test,

This would be the first thing to determine. If there is a change of state at the transfer switch (voltage change/current change/some diagnostic contact switch/etc.) there is probably some way of monitoring it.

There are no directly compatible current sensors. It would be a combination of parts to provide notification based on sensors. You’d probably end up using a DW10 or RE201 near the transfer switch and a hardwired, possibly self-powered current sensor. The type of sensor and what would be needed would be determined by what might occur at the transfer switch during the test.

If nothing occurs at the transfer switch, are there any dry contact outputs on the generator that can be configured to activate during a test? There may be built in relays for monitoring such a device. These could simply be wired to a sensor.

I think I read somewhere that ADC has some kind of “generator” setting for their power meter, could I use this, or is this really intended for solar?

Alarm.com Energy Management has remained pretty fluid, with improvements and variations over time. However, the setting you are referring to is I believe specific to systems where you are adding to the grid, like solar. The generator in this case is back-up and would not run unless power outage occurs, correct?

I’ll have to double check this.