Sensors for Shed

What could I use to add sensors to an outdoor shed? I’m not sure this would even be possible. Would the sensors make it through Winter?

Most wireless sensors are designed for indoor use and have a minimum operating temperature of 32 degrees Fahrenheit so you’re taking a risk if you try to use them in places where it gets colder than that. Many of the sensors from Resolution Products have a minimum temperature of 0 degrees Fahrenheit so you’re “officially” safer with those.

Another issue you face is that the wireless signal from the sensor has to get through the exterior walls of your shed and your home to reach the control panel, both of which can attenuate the signal significantly. Exterior walls often have metal in them that blocks or reduces wireless signal strength.

The most reliable way to put sensors in places without heating and air conditioning is to run a wire to the shed from your house or another structure that has heating and cooling and use a wired sensor in the shed. Then at the other end, wire it directly to your control panel or to a sensor (transmitter) with a wired input such as the 2GIG-DW10-345 or the RE201.

That being said, I know of lot of people using wireless sensors in their shed or garage and it’s working fine. I also know some that tried and it didn’t work. It depends on your situation and the only way to find out for sure is to give it a shot. Stick with Resolution Products sensors to have the best chance with wireless in a shed because they have a lower manufacturer’s specified operating temperature and they tend to send more powerful wireless signals.

Best Regards,
Ryan