Rule to turn off left on light

Hello all,

We currently have several z-wave light switches and dimmers throughout our home. We’re using them for the porch lights and outside flood lights and they work great using the sunrise/sunset feature.

Currently, my children turn on the garage light and then frequently leave it on when they are done in the garage. I’m trying to find the best way to turn off the light if it’s been left on for more than 20 minutes. I thought maybe I could use the garage sensor but it seems that could turn it on or off immediately when the sensor is triggered but without the ability to introduce a delay that doesn’t work.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could accomplish this task?

Thanks I’m advance.

No, you cannot delay the activation after the event occurs. You could set a rule to turn on the light, then after 20 minutes turn it out, but that would turn the light back on if they do turn it out. You could also set a rule to turn on the light when the door opens, then turn it back off when the door closes, but this will not take into account any context, so if you go out there to work or look for something and close the door, the light will shut off. Occupancy rules are often tricky.

An alternative, if this occurs around a similar time usually, you could create a schedule to simply turn off the light at a specific time.

1 Like

Thanks Jason,

I went with the last option and set a shut-off rule several times a day. That should work for now.
Cheers