Repeated False Alarms

I have two alarm system with Surety (my home and my business). In my business I’ve had several false alarms by two motion detectors (sensor 19 and sensor 25). Sensor 25 is in an isolated room with the HVAC turned off and blinds drawn. I cannot think of anything in the room that might set it off. Sensor 19 is in an open room and is pointed towards a window. Having said that I have interior and exterior security cameras and none of them show or report movement by people when the false alarms have happened. There is a running HVAC system in the room with sensor 19… the heat movement when it turns on could be problematic. Having said that, I only started having that false alarm this weekend and the security system has been in place for several months and the HVAC programming hasn’t changed. One thing I could do is swap the motion sensors with ones that haven’t had false alarms. If there continue to be false alarms in the same rooms, it’s a problem with the rooms. If they follow the sensor(s), it’s likely a faulty sensor. What do you recommend doing?

Edit. I’m happy to send you photos of the room layout but I prefer to keep that private.

There are some common false alarm hazards for all wireless PIR detectors. Go over the recommendations here, and if you still have trouble, send us those photos in private message, along with the sensor models.

Hi Jason,

I don’t think the HVAC is playing a role. Not pets. I don’t believe I can adjust the sensitivity on this sensor. And, as noted in the first post, the external cameras haven’t picked up motion. I experimented with swapping the location of this motion detector with another motion detector that has not had any false alarms on Friday. We had two more false alarms with Zone 19 over the weekend (so the problem followed the detector as I did not rename them). The other motion detector that was put in zone 19’s receptacle did not have any false alarms. That tells me this is a problem with the detector itself. Can I get a warranty replacement? I’ve had the detectors for roughly 3-4 months. BTW I’ve had two false alarms from sensor 25, too, as noted in the OP. It hasn’t happened for 3-4 weeks. There was no good reason for it to happen (no HVAC, no windows, no people or animals, correct height)… but it hasn’t happened for a while so it could have been bad luck. The sensor 19 problem is real, though. Please let me know how to proceed.

Private Message has been sent regarding this issue. Please follow up there so we can get warranty replacement started.

1 Like