Random activity

I’m seeing a lot of random activity on my Garage Door. Activity will basically say “unable to open” or “unable to close”. I’ve noticed that sometimes using the ADC app also doesn’t actually send the command to open or close the garage door.

It appears this is related to a Linear Z-wave opener correct?

Unable to close and unable to open are reports indicating a local malfunction of the Tilt sensor, safety features, or physical issue at the door.

Any command you send will be first sent to the alarm panel, then from the panel to the Z-wave device. However, if the door does not fully retract or close twice in a row the Linear device will go into Lock-Out mode, and only activating the wall button will allow it to move again as a safety override.

Also note that when a command has been sent, another command cannot be processed for at least 30 seconds.

See operation notes for the door in the manual here.

A couple troubleshooting steps for this which typically help:

1. Sync the status by opening and closing the door with the wall button a few times. Make sure the door is fully retracting, if not there may be a physical issue to address.
  2. Power cycle the Linear Z-wave device.

Jason - Thank you. I tried power cycling the unit and that got me to the point were the Linear Module will at least beep, but the door doesn’t move. I’m going to have the double check the wiring since there’s no obstruction. The wire may have just came loose.

The tilt sensor is working as expected since I do get notifications when the door is opened or closed.

Jason - I checked the wiring and it all checks out. I’m still seeing the unable to open/close messages. The module will beep then do nothing. Should I try the tlit sensor? It just seems odd that the sensor will report open or closed but the module doesn’t want to cooperate

I would actually suggest first removing the device from your panel following Z-wave device removal steps, wait 5 minutes, then re-add the Linear Z-wave opener.

To remove: Services - Z-wave - Config - Remove Devices. Then press the pair button on the GD00Z.

To re-add: Services - Z-wave - Config - Add Devices. Then press the pair button on the GD00Z.

After it is reconnected and visible in ADC, any luck?

No luck. Removed and Re-added. Same result. Beeps, but does not send the command to open/close the door.

What model of overhead controller are you using and how long has this been installed?

GD00Z-5. Been installed for at least a year.

I am referring to the actual Overhead Controller for the garage door, not the linear Z-wave device. Just want to confirm the Garage door motor model.

It would still be good to try syncing the tilt again to ensure everything is functioning properly. You can do this by pressing and holding the Link button on the GD00Z-5 for 8 seconds. It will beep and flash. Then tilt the sensor and hold it at 90 degrees for at least 5 seconds.

Once the tilt is re-synced, try manually opening the garage door from the wall button a couple times. After you should be good to test through ADC again.

Sorry about that. It’s a Chamberlin Liftmaster Pro. Year is 2004 and was installed that year the house was built. Model should be 2280

I tried re-syncing the tilt sensor. ADC shows open and close when I manually push the button, but when I send a command, I still get the same result. GD00Z-5 beeps then stops with no action taken.

So it seems like the sensor is communicating correctly and the device is connected to the Z Wave Network correctly. Maybe the module went bad? I really can’t think of any other explanation for the way it’s acting.

Sorry about that. It’s a Chamberlin Liftmaster Pro. Year is 2004 and was installed that year the house was built. Model should be 2280

Not a problem, thank you. That model should be ok I think. It has an Orange learn button, correct?

That’s possible that the GD00Z is malfunctioning, but I do see a couple other Z-wave devices in your list that are in fact showing a malfunction. Have you moved any Z-wave devices, plug in dimmers or switches, etc.?

If you moved one of the repeaters the GD00Z relies on, there could be network communication issues. It is something to consider.

Jason - Correct. Orange learn button.

I noticed 2 outlets just randomly reported a malfunction. It seemed to happen after I did a check on the network. I’m not sure if the garage door was repeating through those though since the main panel is probably less than 20 feet from GD00z, but I guess it’s possible.

I’ll try to resolve the outlet problem first and try again.

Jason - Resolved the outlets and I’m still not able to remotely command the GD00Z-5. It beeps, but never triggers the door to open and close. I’m also still seeing the activity stating the door couldn’t open or close.

I tried replacing the battery in the tilt sensor also. Aside from trying another unit, I really don’t know what else to do.

Just to be 100% certain, the GD00Z is wired to the exact same input terminals as the wall button, correct?

The most common causes of what you are describing (aside from a rare device failure) are wiring and door obstruction. I would triple check the wiring of the device.

It is actually a good idea to remove the device wires, cut the exposed wire and expose fresh wire, then screw them down into the terminal. Ensure that it is tightly connected.

Check for pinching along the cable. If shelving or other objects press against the wire with enough force it may cause a short.

If you find no wiring issue and no obstruction, my next step would be to try a new unit and see if there is a difference in operation.

Yes, wired correct. There was no change to the wiring when it started to fail. I will re-strip and re-wire to see if that resolves it.

My luck, it’s probably the device.

Also, out of curiosity, is the device light flashing when it beeps?

Yes, it does flash.

Ok, just wanted to make sure. It should.

Jason - I tried re-stripping the wires and the result was still the same. I guess I’ll have to get a new unit and try that. That’s about all it could be at this point.

Only other thing I noticed was that my TS1 panel doesn’t always show the same status of the garage door as the main panel, but that seems more like a communication issue between the TS1 and Main panel then related to the garage door issue.

Only other thing I noticed was that my TS1 panel doesn’t always show the same status of the garage door as the main panel, but that seems more like a communication issue between the TS1 and Main panel then related to the garage door issue.

The TS1 only communicates with and gets all its status info from the GC2. This would only be reflective of communication between the GC2 and TS1.