Qolsys Wireless Sensor Randomly Offline

Hello

I have a wireless Qolsys sensor that I had to replace both the sensor and battery this year due to the sensor switch being broke and the battery being low. The new sensor was working properly until just recently where it now falls offline until someone open and closes the door - this was happening once a week but had been happening daily over the past couple of days. This is the only sensor in the house having this behavior. Any idea of what the issue may be and how best to remedy?

Thank you

“Offline” means that the sensor supervision signal was missed at the panel. There are a few reasons for supervision signal loss, and it is usually the first thing you notice if a signal problem is present for a specific sensor.

This thread discusses the potential causes and fixes for supervision problems.

Thank you - is a new sensor needed ? It seems strange that this has just started after 2 years of no issues - what should be tried in order remedy before deciding to replace the sensor?

Also - why does the signal work fine/connect/reconnect when the door is open and closed but fails randomly otherwise?

I recommend reading the thread at the link provided for troubleshooting suggestions and a detailed description of causes. A new sensor is not likely needed. Most supervision errors are due to the potential causes described in that thread.

It seems strange that this has just started after 2 years of no issues - what should be tried in order remedy before deciding to replace the sensor?

As borderline low battery is a potential cause, replacing the battery is the first step to try. It is normal for supervision errors to occur first when battery starts getting low, especially if other potential issues are there, like range, or metal in the immediate vicinity.

Also - why does the signal work fine/connect/reconnect when the door is open and closed but fails randomly otherwise?

This is actually normal. Supervision is a periodic heartbeat signal, the most frequent signal most sensors will transmit to the panel. These are more likely to be noticed failing first in borderline signaling cases.

Thanks for reposting the thread link - I missed that the 1st time on my device.

Ah, no problem! Let me know if you have any questions, but if it has been two years my guess would be battery should resolve it.

Is that door or frame metal? Moving the sensor a little bit away from the corner, or re-orienting it can help sometimes.

I believe its vinyl? I had to replace the senor about 4 months ago and put a new battery in at that time. The only other thing that has changed is using a power strip for a laptop to work from home - so will try moving that, then a new battery.

If that does not resolve it - would you recommend a power G sensor (currently using the legacy IQ mini on a 2+ panel) - if so, which sensor is recommended and can I use a mix of sensor types on the QS9201-1208-840 Verizon 319.5MHZ model)?

Yep, if it turns out the location is just attenuating the signal more than other spots a PowerG sensor will have an increased range and generally will be a good option.

If vinyl I am guessing this is a window sensor. The PG9303 is a good option.

Yes, you can mix and match sensors as needed. You can have both PowerG and 319.5 sensors connected.

Thank you again for the information and your time - much appreciated.