Qolsys Panel 2 Won't Turn On

Last night I went to arm the panel and noticed the screen was off. I found another thread detailing similar issues and unplugged the panel and battery. I waited 10 minutes and then plugged both back in and panel will not turn on. I even held down the power button for numerous durations (5, 10, 20, 30 seconds) and that didn’t work either.

Nothing is wrong with the wiring, it’s the same cable that came with the panel, outlet works and different outlets had same results. Bought panel almost exactly 2 years ago ( Dec. 2020) so hoping I don’t need to purchase a replacement as this appears to be a system issue.

Is there a phone number to call for replacement units as I now have no alarm system? It won’t turn on and is just a dead unit, which is hard to imagine after only being 2 years old.

Warranty on Qolsys products is 1-year from the purchase date.

Are you able to test the power supply with a multimeter by chance?

Is there a phone number to call for replacement units as I now have no alarm system? It won’t turn on and is just a dead unit, which is hard to imagine after only being 2 years old.

All support is handled online, we are unable to provide assistance over the phone.

I’m not able to test with a multimeter and would hate to buy one but can if needed. Other electronics work when plugged into the outlet and have tested other outlets that also work and it still won’t power on. What are options if it’s completely dead?

Testing the power supply with a multimeter would show if the culprit is the power supply or the panel itself.

If the IQ Panel 2 is dead then it would need to be replaced. The IQ Panel 4 IQP4001 would be the direct replacement for the panel currently in use.

I’ve tried 4 other outlets and if they can power a mini fridge, a washing machine, air fryers, tvs, etc. I would expect them being able to power this panel. So are you telling me I have to now buy a brand new panel because the current one purchased in December, 2020 died? Is that the expected shelf life for something like this and is that the only recourse to resolve the issue? More money out of pocket due to a defective device?

I’m trying not to sound rude and I could see if the issue was related to an action I took or if the device was 10 years old but it’s 2 years old and all of a sudden, it just died as you can see in the screenshots.

Testing of the power supply would be recommended to determine if it is just a power supply failure or a failure of the panel.

No it is not common, but hardware failure can occur. Manufacturer warranty is 1 year, which is pretty common on new electronics and security components.

If the panel has suffered internal hardware failure and is unable to boot up, it would need to be replaced. We do not sell refurbished/used systems, but you may be able to find that as an option online.

Have you had any extended power outages lately or are they common at your location? A fully dead battery which is unable to charge may cause problems booting as well.

No power outages in the area and they’re extremely uncommon. Again, this is a 2 years device and while the warranty might be standard, what isn’t standard among electronics is for them to just die and stop turning on. In those events, there is usually something that can be done from a customer service standpoint.

That is a failure in the system so why would I want to purchase another system when the first barely lasted 2 years. It’s also something that remains plugged in and sits on a wall. There is no wear or tear to the device itself. It’s not collecting lint or dust from my pockets or being dropped like a cell phone but it can’t last 2 years?

What other panels work with Surety or do I need to find another service where they are more understanding of the failure of the devices they sell.

I have reached out to the manufacturer to see if there is anything that can be done or any additional troubleshooting steps not already mentioned and will follow up here.

Regarding panel replacements, the direct replacement for the IQ Panel 2 is the IQ Panel4 in this case the IQP4001.

Other panels are compatible with Alarm.com, you can find a list of them below.

Keep in mind, if switching panel brands, you will also be switching SRF radios. 319.5 Mhz sensors in use with Qolsys are not used by all compatible panels.

Companies like 2GIG or DSC use a different frequency (345MHz and 433MHz). If going this route, the sensors would need to be replaced.

Additionally, many of the 319.5MHz compatible panels, like Simon, Networx and Concord 4 have been discontinued by the manufacturer (Interlogix).

Just wanted to touch base here, we are still waiting on additional information at this time. I am hoping to hear back within the next business day or so. As soon as we have additional information we will follow up here.

Any updates here or do I need to purchase another panel? Also, why can’t Surety help here and why am I having to wait on Qolsys? I bought the panel through you and pay $26.00 subscription. I have temporarily canceled my service seeing as I’m paying $26.00 a month and for the past 10 days or so, I haven’t had any service. If I need to buy another panel, I will likely not resume that subscription.

I understand your frustration and I apologize for the delay. We were waiting on information from Qolsys regarding a couple things:

1. If there were any additional steps to resolve the issue, or
  2. If based on the issue, the warranty period could be extended to cover the issue.

In this case, it looks like we are able to the panel covered for replacement. We are currently working with distribution to get warranty replacement underway. I am hoping to have more information regarding the replacement today and will follow up as soon as possible.

Note that as the IQ Panel 2 has been discontinued, it would be replaced with an IQ Panel 4 (IQP4001).

Regarding ADC account cancellation, it is not temporary, it is not possible to pause the account. The Alarm.com account is deleted during the cancellation process. Resuming service would require a new plan purchase along with re-creating the Alarm.com account from scratch.

1 Like

Any update here as it’s been more than a month with no home security and renewal is coming up again?

Unfortunately, we are still waiting to hear back from the manufacturer. We have applied an additional month of service onto the account to keep it active but payment will not process until 3/14

Is there a number for the manufacturer that I can call? I don’t understand why it takes 2 weeks to provide a return address. By the time this is resolved, it’ll be at least 2 months with no alarm system.

I understand your frustration with this issue. As it is outside the warranty period, the process on replacement is different than normal and taking longer than anticipated, I apologize for the inconvenience.

I have reached out to distribution and Qolsys to get more information on the delay but I have not heard back at this time. I will follow up once I have additional information.