Purchase Guidance

I was just watching a Qolsys tech video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHJOZmbGilo and they said that you can put the image daughter card in but that kills the power G function. Jason, may have better info on this. The reference is about 18 minutes in.

Yes, the Image Sensor and Power G radio cards actually use the same built-in antenna in the IQ Panel 2, so only one can be installed at a time. Qolsys has simply stated incompatibility with the IQ Panel 2+ for Image Sensors, but they may have a way of supporting them in the future along with Power G. There is no movement on that to report though.

If you are looking at the IQ panel 2+ I would recommend sticking with the Power G generally, and grabbing the Power G image motion detector instead.

The forward benefits of Power G outweigh the alternative.

If you watch the video, it sounds like you can have either or. Their only comments sound like "why would you do that, Power G is the way to go.

You might call them and ask them if it would work or not, as the info doesn’t really say that the 2+ won’t handle the image if the image card is inserted.

Happy to clarify! Yes, from above, the two radios use the same antenna slot on the IQ Panel Board, so while you can swap one in for the other, both cannot be installed at the same time. Based on prior correspondence with Qolsys, you can swap the radio but it is not recommended.

They have taken a bit more of a hard-line stance on compatibility in general though with regard to the outward message, and my guess is that future development may veer away from ensuring IQ-Card-S Image Sensor support.

Qolsys’ website description of the Image Sensor radio product:

https://qolsys.com/iq-card-is/

Not compatible with IQ Panel 2 Plus.

The regular IQ Panel 2 has been discontinued as well, so only IQ Panel 2+ will be distributed going forward.

I miss the image sensors for sure, but now I’m thinking of going a different way than the Power-G image sensor. I’m thinking about replacing the image sensors with some Power-G PIR motions and one or two indoor cameras. The cost difference isn’t that big, especially when shopping the auction site, and the added versatility and resolution from 1080p or better indoor cams will be a nice benefit.

I’m kind of disappointed that the new image sensors still have some pretty crappy image resolution so combining motions and cams should yield equivalent protection and much improved visual monitoring tools.

No thought to ditch the Power-G card for an image sensor card. Wouldn’t make sense to me to go backwards to support inferior technology.

If buying Alarm.com compatible cameras used, be sure that the cameras are not associated with an existing Alarm.com account. They will need to be removed prior to enabling them with your own Alarm.com account.

Thanks Tyler, understood and I appreciate the heads up.

I just picked up a new in box (still sealed with factory tape) VZ-722W for under $100. One or two more of those, and then some new motions at ~$50 each and I’m way ahead, in terms of functionality, of two Power-G image sensors for $120 apiece for not much more spend, especially considering what I have in the system already.