Planning my 2GIG system

that’s what I thought. Thanks for confirming Ryan. Really appreciate your help and expertise.

Few more questions… :slight_smile: These may belong under a different post category.

• I don’t see a native Ethernet connection. There is a phone port and terminals for a Telco butt set. I thought I saw an add-on POTS module. Is it possible to use an internet connection instead of GSM or dial-up? (Albeit not as secure/robust due to infrastructure exposures).

• Do you have to have the POTS module in order to use the phone port or is the module really just for “POTS Seizure”

• Is there any programmer software we can use to configure the system or does everything have to be done with arrow pushes through the on screen GUI? Sounds like it’s easiest to buy everything at once from you guys and have all the pairing done before it’s shipped. Can we send you spreadsheet with zone info, config parameters, etc?

• Lastly, is the system sold by you guys completely unlocked (like can we flash updates with a cable) or do we have to rely on GSM/alarm.com for any updates or programming changes?

Thanks again for all your help. So close to purchasing, just trying to line up all my expectations. :wink:

The 2GIG-CNTRL2-345 doesn’t have an Ethernet communicator, just cellular. 2GIG is coming out with an IP bridge for dual path communication with Alarm.com (cellular and IP). I’m told their planned 1.12 firmware release adds support for the IP bridge, not sure if it’s WIFI, Ethernet or both.

The older 2GIG panels had a built-in POTS communicator. The newer 2GIG-CNTRL2-345 panels don’t have it built in, but you can add a POTS dialer module to them. It’s for communication, not just line seizure. However, we literally never use it. You can if you like but we always use cellular for primary communication. We don’t carry the POTS dialer but the part number is 2GIG-GC-POTS in case you want to find one.

There is no programmer software for 2GIG worth using. There is an old POTS downloader program from years ago but it’s not supported anymore and I wouldn’t even know where to find it. I think 2GIG made it disappear. Programming through the touch screen is easy and if you let us do the initial programming for you then making small changes here and there on your own is quick and easy.

You don’t need to send a spreadsheet with zone info, that’s all part of the order process on our website. It will ask you for that information after the order is completed.

Our systems are completely unlocked. You get the installer code and you can change your system as you please.

Fantastic. Thanks for your thorough response Ryan. I’m sure I’ll have questions after I purchase this from you guys. Looking forward to my new toy, ahem… security/home automation system. :slight_smile:

I saw this item is available on your website. I have a extra sub panels so I would assume I have the module needed to add this unit? It looks pretty easy to add this IP Bridge…Is it?

What are the advantages of installing this if your cell signal is OK?

Free TA updates sound good.

Then go!bridge is not standalone. Has to be used as a secondary to the cell. There was a discussion on this. You need the XCVR2, and firmware 1.12

See:http://suretydiy.com/forums/topic/2gig-gobridge-available-now/?bbp_reply_to=12128&_wpnonce=275d1779e0#new-post

It’s easy to add. If you have a TS1 or an image sensor working then you have the transceiver required to communicate with the Go!Bridge but you would have to upgrade to 1.12 firmware. The advantages are robustness, security and remote command speed. Remote commands with Go!Bridge are typically almost instant instead of the 10-20 second delay we see with just cellular.

Ryan, just to clarify…there are two specific situations where I’m wondering if the Go!Bridge would minimize delay:

1. Arming and disarming the system remotely from the Alarm.com iPhone app (and the return message verifying success).
  2. Receiving a push notification on the app when a sensor is activated, like a doorbell.

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes, with the Go!Bridge arming and disarming is almost immediate, unless you have some kind of unusual latency in your broadband connection.
  2. It doesn't seem to make a big difference in sensor activity push notifications. I'm sure it improves the notification time but there are additional "relays" with latency in getting the notification to you that the Go!Bridge can't help. The Go!Bridge gets the message to Alarm.com faster but after that it depends on push notification delivery. I'm not sure if Alarm.com has control over that. We'll look into it.

I spoke to a few people at Alarm.com and they say there is nothing they can do about delay getting push notifications to your phone so I guess the Go!Bridge doesn’t help much to speed up push notifications. It speeds up commands a lot though.