Over the Air Firmware Updates and Z-Wave Compatibility

I have never updated my firmware on my GoControl panel. Is this something that can be done over the air? If so, what features or improvements will it bring to my panel. I’m noticing that it’s becoming hard to find non Z-Wave plus outlets. Will the latest firmware support Z-Wave plus?

Is this something that can be done over the air?

Yes, firmware can be updated via an Over the Air update, or OTA, this process can take anywhere from 3-12 hours to complete. During this time, your panel will continue to function normally but it should not be power cycled nor should programming mode be entered. Doing so can cause damage your system!

Note, if you use the TS1 secondary panel, please ensure that it is paired with the main panel before the OTA commences. The OTA Update will not be able to affect the TS1 if it is not paired properly.

If this process is done over cellular, each OTA update incurs a $10.00 data charge and updates are incremental. Records indicate that you are currently at version 1.10. The first OTA would take your system to version 1.12 and the second would take you to the most recent version, 1.17.1. This would be two separate data charges.

However, should you be utilizing the 2GIG Go!Bridge, OTA updates would be run over broadband and would not incur a data charge. Note, compatibility with the Go!Bridge would require firmware 1.12 at the panel.

Alternatively, you can purchase a 2GIG USB Update Cable, which allows you to update your 2GIG Go!Control firmware from any PC for free. It requires that your current firmware be version 1.5 or higher to work. Check out the product page for more information.

Should you wish to proceed with an OTA, please contact customerservice@suretyDIY.com and be sure to include your Verbal Admin Passcode, for verification purposes. The OTA process can be started during normal business hours.

what features or improvements will it bring to my panel.

Firmware updates typically bring bug fixes, compatibility with devices and general improvements to processes, you can find more detail here.

I’m noticing that it’s becoming hard to find non Z-Wave plus outlets. Will the latest firmware support Z-Wave plus?

No, Z-Wave Plus technology would not be obtainable through any firmware update. This would be a hardware limitation and thus not affected by firmware. Nor is it possible to upgrade the 2GIG Go!Control Z-Wave Radio to Z-Wave Plus.

You will however still be able to utilize devices that are Z-Wave Plus, just without the added benefit of the Plus technology.

So it would be a $20 total to update my GoControl Panel and TS1 panel? Is there a page that shows what each firmware update brings to my panels?

A list of changes for archived versions of firmware can be found here.

As of the time of this post, if you need 2 updates, yes it would be a total of $20 for OTA updates. We do strongly recommend using a firmware update cable if you wish to keep up with updates, as firmware is free to download and typically available that way first.

At this point I’m just trying to understand if it’s worth my time to update my firmware since my panel is already dated and doesn’t work with the newer Z-wave plus devices. I moved from a 2Gig Thermostat to a Nest so I don’t need firmware updates for my thermostat. Are there any security vulnerabilities that were patched between 1.10 and 1.17.1? If I’m not adding any automatic locks, what am I missing by using the old firmware? Does the newer firmware’s address the z-wave delay for Ge/JASCO light switches?

Are there any security vulnerabilities that were patched between 1.10 and 1.17.1?

There are a great many minor changes and tweaks along the way, some of which are not fully detailed by 2GIG. All major changes are discussed in the prior links.

Some of the major changes are increased wireless zone limits, Z-wave command queue (helps Z-wave command processing), Go!bridge and other device compatibility.

It is always recommended to update firmware, as it will keep your system up to date with the lowest chance to encounter bugs and it supports the newest devices, however if nothing is broken you are of course fine to continue using the current version.

Does the newer firmware’s address the z-wave delay for Ge/JASCO light switches?

I’m not sure what you are referring to. If you mean a delay in turning on the switch when sending a remote command from the website or app, no, that would have no effect as it is simply an issue of cellular latency. Adding a Go!bridge would best avoid delays (which would require a firmware update)