Moving from GC3 to IQ2+ results in false alarm(s)

yesterday I made a switch from a 2GIG GC3 panel to Qolsys IQ2+ 345MHz.

I made IQ2+ learn all the 2GIG sensors, tested cellular / wifi / dual.
One thing I noticed it was bypassing two dw10-345 door sensors when going to the “arm (stay)” mode since it deemed them open. So I made the panel relearn these two sensors and all seemed well at that point.

closer to the night I set the panel to “arm (stay)” via the alarm dot com phone app and went to bed.

at 00:29 a.m a false alarm triggered waking everyone up saying that one of the doors has opened. I disarmed it, went to check: it was closed with both locks the way I left it.

at this point I am not sure what the best action plan is, since 2GIG panel never had a problem with any existing door sensors for years. the only reason I bought IQ2+ 354 Mhz is so it is able to support my existing 2GIG sensors: is it no longer true?

I could replace all the batteries and remove all the sensors and relearn them again, but the confidence in the new panel wavered since the night is long + there is also an “away” mode where I can’t quickly check whether the alarm is false.

any ideas are welcome

There are a few things to check in this case. It looks like the sensor names and programming for the new system had not synced yet, I have sent commands to get all the local programming from the panel and make sure everything is synced.

Looking at the sensor that caused the alarm you are referencing, it looks like it is still reporting open now and has not closed since.

Are you using the internal reed switch or the wired input of the DW10? Can you post a photo of that sensor while it is closed?

panel thinks it is one sensor that caused the alarm
alarm dot com thinks it was another
so here are both, just in case:

the thing is, they work perfectly fine with GC3, hence I’ll try to:

• change the batteries in all the 2GIG sensors
  • remove all of them from the panel
  • learn them again

probably come back here and ask you to run sync command to make sure they align between the panel and alarm dot com?

panel thinks it is one sensor that caused the alarm
alarm dot com thinks it was another
so here are both, just in case:

To best assist can you clarify this?

In your history, it shows a pending alarm from from the sensor in Zone 2.

After swapping the panel, some sensors may not have had names synced yet, however the zone number should match what the panel reported.

What discrepancy do you see in the panel? Which sensor shows as having tripped the alarm on the panel?

Let’s not get ahead of the issue in this case, there is no need to remove sensors from the panel, unless there is a possibility that sensor TXIDs might be mismatched while learning them in.

While auto-learning sensors that are already installed, if you have motion detectors it would be advised to take down or power down those motion detectors so that they are not accidentally tripped when trying to learn in other sensors like doors and windows. This can be a fairly common cause of confusion when swapping systems.

panel said it was a kitchen door
while alarm dot com said it was a garage inside door

I noticed that some of these sensors bound to loop 1, while others to loop 2
I am not exactly sure what this means, but I “relearned” the sensors that showed a wrong status (open, when it was closed) and they got rebound from loop 1 to loop 2

so motion sensors are on loop 1
while contact sensors are now all on loop 2

I waited for two nights before replying here
It holds for now, which I hope will last

does it sound right to keep them on different “loops”?
and/or what does it really mean

does it sound right to keep them on different “loops”?
and/or what does it really mean

Yes. 345Mhz Honeywell and 2GIG sensors use Loops to differentiate between different sensor functions.

This is the same as if using a 2GIG Panel or Honeywell panel. If the wrong loop is entered, the panel will not be able to receive signals properly from that sensor.

Most sensors use Loop 1 as the main function, like Motion Detectors and Glass Breaks.

Multi-function devices have multiple loops. This will depend on the model of sensor. For example, the DW10 uses Loop 2 for its internal reed switch, and Loop 1 for its wired input.

For programming instructions for common 2GIG Sensors on the IQ Panel 2+ 345 Mhz version, see this page.

interesting, why did it bind to loop 1 the first time made the panel learn it?
and it worked for the 5, 10 minutes I tested it initially

I think this would be a result of confusion. It would not work if the wrong loop was chosen for the sensor.

Generally what you would see is the device opening, but then it wouldn’t be able to report closed properly. No subsequent reports would be possible.

To be sure it is programmed correctly be sure to follow the steps here.

The panel will not always default to the right loop. Generally this is only an issue with multi-function door sensors like the DW10, since most other sensors use Loop 1.

thanks Jason
I’ll keep monitoring, but for now all looks good

happened again last night
I put an alarm on “arm stay” and it bypassed a garage back door, showing that it is open while it was closed

I did not do anything to the door, took battery portion of the sensor out, put it back in and it showed the door as closed

but it is a bit scary to even arm the system, since what if it deems the door open in the middle of the night

what are the next steps?

again, all these sensors work great with GC3 as is

I’d replace the door sensor see I know it worked fine with the old system but sensors act funny like that

what are the next steps?

I would swap the locations of a known working sensor of the same model and the one that is causing a problem.

Does the problem follow the sensor to the new spot, or does it occur on the same door with the new sensor?

Also, the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ has a thin white antenna which is used for legacy sensor radio transmissions. (345 mhz in your case)

That white antenna must be routed out of the back of the panel into the wall if the panel is wall mounted. If the antenna is bunched up in the panel, pinched in the back-plate, etc., it can cause problems with sensor reception.

yea, the antenna is routed out of the panel back as per instructions:

I just don’t think it works all that well with 2GIG sensors (as GC3 did)

Since I already got this panel, we’ll have to probably replace all the sensors to power G (natively supported by IQ)

1. Would the door/window sensors be a drop in replacement in terms of mounting: i.e. size wise?

2. My motions sensors are in corners: i.e. between two walls, and on an angle, attached by velcro that came with it. Would power g motion sensors fit the same velcros?

3. Also what about batteries for both (door/window and motion), would they be different from the 2GIG ones?

yea, the antenna is routed out of the panel back as per instructions:

That image shows the antenna running up the back of the panel, it shouldn’t be installed that way. That antenna should be inserted into the wall.

Make sure the antenna is running out through the hole behind the base of that antenna in the back plate. It should be routed into the wall for best signaling. This will keep it from being potentially pinched against the wall, which, if it is routed out of the correct hole and run up behind the panel it is very likely pinched right at the hole, given how the lip of that hole sits flush with the screw holes.

Would the door/window sensors be a drop in replacement in terms of mounting: i.e. size wise?

It isn’t exact, but very similar. The magnet is essentially the exact same, I believe the footprint of the PowerG model is slightly larger, though it is lower profile.

My motions sensors are in corners: i.e. between two walls, and on an angle, attached by velcro that came with it. Would power g motion sensors fit the same velcros?

I can’t say whether it will fit where you’ve installed the velcro, you may be able to use the same spot or it might need slight adjustment. The PowerG model requires a mounting height between 6 and 10 feet. It recommends screw mount.

The door sensors likely do not use the same battery, that PowerG sensor uses a CR2450, but it is likely that the motion does depending on the model you currently have (CR123A battery).

thanks Jason
I did not realize the antenna needs to go into a wall
I fixed that. Will monitor to see if it solves the issue
will probably still upgrade to power g sensors later given multiple issues I’ve been experiencing with IQ2+ and 2GIG sensors