Kwikset 914 Lock State Status Update

Hello Surety Support,

I have a Kwikset 914 door lock paired to a Qolsys IQ 2+. The lock does not appear to be sending updated lock state statuses to the panel. For example, when I manually unlock the door from the inside by turning the latch, ADC does not show the lock’s updated “unlocked” state. If I pull to refresh in the ADC smartphone app, there is no change. If I refresh the lock status from the panel, it will then reflect the status change in ADC and the panel. This is the case with locking/unlocking the door manually with the latch or locking/unlocking the door manually with the lock’s keypad. I have excluded the lock twice, paired it twice (within 6 feet from the panel), and replaced batteries. Locking and unlocking the door from ADC or the panel happens instantly and appears to be problem free.

I have a Yale push button door lock paired to the panel that instantly sends lock/unlock status to the panel, so I’m hoping there may be an advanced setting hidden somewhere that can help. Is there anything that can be done to get the Kwikset lock to send its lock state instantly to the panel?

Thanks community!

There is no separate setting to disable status from a specific lock. To make sure we can troubleshoot effectively the first step I would try is updating the firmware on your panel to the most recent version. You can find instructions below:

First, is there any change after updating?

Firmware has been successfully updated with no impact to the functionality of the lock. As an update to my initial posting, when refreshing the lock status on the panel, the status changes on the panel but does not update in ADC. ADC only updates when the lock/unlock command is sent from ADC.

Thank you for confirming.

The steps recommended by Alarm.com in this circumstance are below:

1. Verify the lock is using high-quality, name-brand batteries, such as Energizer or Duracell. Generic batteries often do not read back the proper status because they use up all of their power locking/unlocking the lock.
  2. Verify if the lock status is accurate with the door open. This can indicate the lock latch has trouble fully extending due to available space within the door frame itself.
  3. Eliminate the possibility of Z-Wave communication issues. For best results, the lock needs to be within 6 feet of the panel/module when enrolling it. Consider adding more devices to act as repeaters and then perform a network rediscovery.
  4. Power cycle the lock and panel, verify that the lock batteries have a strong charge, and then manually lock/unlock to test if the status updates.
  5. If the preceding steps haven’t resolved the behavior, re-hand the lock.
  6. If the preceding step does not resolve the behavior, delete and re-add the lock.
  7. If the behavior persists, replace the lock.

For re-handing the lock, follow the instructions in the manual on page 23:

Thank you Jason!