IQ2 Battery Dies Triggers Keypad Tamper

I can’t seem to get anyone to confirm this for me, but I have dealt with three keypad tamper situations, two resulting in Police being dispatched. Could someone with access to the source code for the IQ2/IQ firmware please confirm, or anyone with direct knowledge.

Equipment involved in the problem described below:
IQ running 1.5
IQ2 running 1.5

The pattern seems to be:
ARM System AWAY via ADC app.
IQ2 is not connected to a charging source and the battery dies.
IQ main panel reports Keypad Tamper and signals alarm.

Spoke with security vendor on all three occasions.
First occasion result “must have been a keypad tamper.”
Second occasion result “sorry, not sure what is happening, we will research.”
Third occasion result “must be the firmware, let’s update you from 1.5 to 1.6.1 and that should fix it.”

Well, I suppose if the problem is at all related to the IQ2 battery discharging while connected to an IQ panel that is also ARMED in AWAY mode, then you sort of “fixed” it because as everyone knows, the IQ2 panel can not currently be used with a IQ primary panel running 1.6. Not certain I would call this a fix.

Anyone else experience this?

By the way, this is my first post, but I have been reading posts here for a while.

Welcome to the suretyDIY forum! Doesn’t looks like this is a suretyDIY account, so we would not have any access to your system info, but we would be happy to try to help!

access to the source code for the IQ2/IQ firmware please confirm

Dealers would not have access to source code. The manufacturers of panels would not allow this as it would be a huge security concern.

IQ2 is not connected to a charging source and the battery dies

For clarification, is this in a power outage situation? The IQ2 is intended to be plugged in and run off of a wall power source. While it is a tablet and sort of blurs the line between stationary keypads and mobile devices, it’ll still follow the rules of a stationary keypad, so I would not advise removing it from power and using it on battery power intentionally.

I am reverting a 1.6.1 panel to 1.5.3 and running a few tests to try and duplicate your result.

Thank you for the post. No, I am not a suretyDIY customer, I didn’t post my vendor as I think they are doing the best they can with the product and my comments could be misinterpreted by some.

The vendor says the battery going dead on the IQ2 with the system being armed should not have caused a keypad tamper at the main keypad, which is what is being reported to the monitoring station.

Again, thank you for your post and offering to look into this issue. Do you happen to know if I can roll back to 1.5.3 easily from 1.6? If I understand the problem, I can work around it. As it stands now, I can’t even use my remote panel, which I find more annoying than the risk of accidental keypad tamper.

Do you happen to know if I can roll back to 1.5.3 easily from 1.6?

This is possible, however there is a major caveat in that it will factory default the panel upon doing so. It’s not something I would recommend doing without discussing with your current provider.

the IQ2 with the system being armed should not have caused a keypad tamper at the main keypad,

This may be true, checking with Qolsys on that. I want to say there are purposeful differences between Stay and Away IQ-IQ2 interaction though. For one, manually powering down the IQ2 while system is armed away results in a disarm countdown. (Not true in stay.)

My IQ2 battery going dead also causes an alarm as well as my battery being low on other sensors (Which I just created a post for). I just keep the IQ2 plugged in so it doesnt happen again. It has only happened once on the IQ2 but the sensors have caused it several times just recently and have done it in the past as well.

My IQ2 battery going dead also causes an alarm as well as my battery being low on other sensors (Which I just created a post for)

I would recommend updating to 1.6.2 and 1.6 on IQ2s. It looks like this issue does not occur on the newest firmware.

What are the patch tags for 1.6.2 and 1.6?

It tells me no updates available everytime I search. On 1.5.3 now.

Patch tags are in the instructions linked. I am adding the instructions here. Due to some encryption changes some additional steps are involved for the IQ2, shown below.

1. Update main panel to 1.6.2 using the patch tag “systest162”
  2. Do two master resets on IQ2(s) back-to-back
  3. Re-connect IQ2(s) to Wifi and STAY ON WIFI CONNECT SCREEN (black background)
  4. Grab IP address by clicking network name
  5. Add IQ2(s) to main panel by using IP address
  6. Navigate to patch tag option, enter “iq216” and select IQ2 Panel Upgrade Using Network
  7. Allow patch to download and press OK when done
  8. Keep an eye but DO NOT TOUCH IQ2 SCREEN for up to 10 MINUTES

First step, I get “No Patch found with this Tag”

I triple checked it “systest162”.

I also tried upper and lower case.

Looks like this may have been removed. I am double checking with Qolsys, but I got the same response today on a test system.

Thanks for your responsiveness as always!

Yes, 1.6.2 has been temporarily removed for systems with an IQ2. 1.6 has been pulled for improvement. We anticipate a replacement firmware after the new year.