IQ Remote Panel Repeatedly Disconnecting

I have a remote panel upstairs. It is connected to the main panel via the main panel’s hotspot wifi.

The remote panel constantly drops offline. It happens every few days, it seems. This has been a recurring issue for quite some time.

The last time it happened I couldn’t get it to reconnect at all, using the old tricks of rebooting the remote panel. Then tried to check if it was a problem on the main panel and noticed I needed to update the software. Did that and it connected fine.

But that was only a week ago and the system just sent the notification that the remote panel was offline again.

How do I ensure the remote panel stays connected with more consistency?

If this has been happening for a while with the Remote connected to the panel access point, have you tried connecting both to your local 2.4Ghz wifi instead as a test?

How far apart are the panel and the Remote?

Are there any large sources of metal nearby either or in between?

I am also seeing some broadband communication failures for the main panel, and a few short power failures in the past few months. Are these expected and known?

Out of curiosity how long is the power cable for the main alarm panel?

It was connected to the main Wifi before, but it had a major delay in notification, so it was suggested in a previous post that I connect it to the access point. That fixed the delay. As for connecting it to the 2.4Ghz wifi instead of the 5, I just am not technologically savvy enough to know how to do that, though I’m sure I could look it up and do it with enough time.

The main panel is downstairs, the remote is upstairs, but it’s not a big house. Direct line through a wall, maybe 40 feet?

No larger than a lamp nearby, and the wall in between them has no large metal structures that I’m aware of.

No real idea about the broadband communication failures. The internet is fiber and fast and should connect very well. The distance from the router to the panel is about 20 feet, nothing in between. As for the power failures, we’ve had construction in the neighborhood for about 2 years and I’ve always attributed losing our power to that. It happens occasionally but hasn’t been a regular thing that I’m aware of.

I have no idea, honestly. It is whatever power cable that came with the panel.

No real idea about the broadband communication failures. The internet is fiber and fast and should connect very well

WAN connection is less often the issue. Typically it is the LAN connection at fault.

On the newest firmware, the IQ Remote will toggle its wifi adapter off and on again whenever it loses connection to the panel, so the issue should be usually short lived if the drop is due to the Remote.

The previous malfunction I see on the Remote was around 60 seconds long, so that tracks, but currently it looks like the device has been reporting malfunction for much longer.

If you just reboot the IQ Panel 2+, not the Remote, does the connection resolve?

I haven’t rebooted the panel because I was at work but while I was there, I got a notification that the remote had reconnected. Is there any way for you to look and see what might have caused it to reconnect? Or see a possible solution from your end now that it has reconnected?

Is there any way for you to look and see what might have caused it to reconnect?

That specific data point is not recorded into history, just the time it went offline and when it restored.

or see a possible solution from your end now that it has reconnected?

Rebooting the main panel would be the first thing to try if the IQ Remote goes offline when connected via AP Mode.