IQ Panel as Z-Wave secondary controller

OK, being relatively new to DIY systems, I just installed a QolSys IQ 2.0 panel with their supplied sensors. I also installed a new sensor easily by using ther internal learn mode on the panel. I then put my Kwikset and Ecolink devices directly into the zwave install on this panel. I can control all the zwave devices, as well as the security side from my alarm.com app. So far no issues and I no longer need my Smartthings controller…hence no need for more than one controller. Planning on integration of all zwave using iQ as primary and only zwave controller. It is running latest version of software. Now looking for ability to create scenes. I haven’t tried yet, but it appears to exist in the app. If anyone else has done as I, and has successfully created scenes, your advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, there was a trick needed to add zwave devices, I had to use the remove device function on the panel before it would recognize the pairing, sounds weird, but would not pair without that process even if reset all zwave devices to factory.

Also, there was a trick needed to add zwave devices, I had to use the remove device function on the panel before it would recognize the pairing, sounds weird, but would not pair without that process even if reset all zwave devices to factory.

This is standard. Z-wave devices save their parent network link in the device so they cannot be added to more than one. The remove device function can be performed by any controller to clear the saved link.

Just curious if anyone tried the 1.6.1 update to see if secondary controller support does exist. Sometimes things are accidentally left off of the release notes. I got a VeraLite with UI7.

We will do some testing here and see if anything has changed.

Thanks for the input, I made the assumption that a factory reset would delete this at the source. Now I can save that step.

Just curious if anyone tried the 1.6.1 update to see if secondary controller support does exist. Sometimes things are accidentally left off of the release notes. I got a VeraLite with UI7.

Great news on this.

Success. 1.6.1 fw:

Cleared devices from IQ panel.
Learned 2x appliance module and Kwikset deadbolt into Vera.
Put Vera into “Add” mode and used “Add/Remove Controller” on IQ panel (need to uncheck Primary controller in settings for this to show up)
Qolsys IQ panel successfully connected and had device control.
Successful device control through Alarm.com.

(the process will take a bit of time, during which you should have Vera and Qolsys IQ within a few feet.)

Confirmed! Works for me too once I upgraded to 1.6.1!

Interesting that the Qolsys reports one of my locks with a low battery (28%) yet the Vera claims it’s at 59%…

Thanks for the great news. I will definitely be getting the IQ when I switch over to SuretyDIY.

Interesting that the Qolsys reports one of my locks with a low battery (28%) yet the Vera claims it’s at 59%…

That is a bit strange. Looks like the batteries were replaced though, I do not see values that low.

Did the reports normalize after a while? are the two identical now?

So does the secondary controller pairing also work with the SmartThings V2 controller/hubs?

And can HomeSeer pair as a secondary zwave controller?
More interested in HoomeSeer as samrt things is not released in Aus/NZ

So trying to add a VeraEdge onto my Qolsys which is running 1.6.2
Using the above steps I have unchecked Primary controller in the Qolsys Home control settings.
This enabled the add controller button.

When pairing, what exact mode do I put the VeraEdge in? When logged in I go into Devices, add device, and choose Add generic z-wave device? or is there a more specific add controller option on the VeraEdge?

Ok using the procedure in my post above, the Qolsys added a device called “Other device1” id 1.
On the Vera I named it “Qolsys Panel”

I only have the Philips Hue paired with my Vera currently, If I add a z-wave item such as a smart lock or smart socket, will it show up on the Qolsys automatically and be controllable via Alarm.com?

If I add a z-wave item such as a smart lock or smart socket, will it show up on the Qolsys automatically and be controllable via Alarm.com?

I have not tested an Edge regarding this so could not say for certain.

If a device is not shared with Qolsys, you can remove and re-add Qolsys as a secondary, at which time devices would be shared.

When pairing, what exact mode do I put the VeraEdge in?

I’m not familiar with Vera Edge, specifically. Secondary panel interactions aren’t really supported by manufacturers, so it is hard to come by a lot of instruction. I can say that on a different model of Vera, you simply use the standard “Add Device” function.

After pairing a Yale Real Living YRD220 and a Aeotec smart switch 6 to the VeraEdge, they didn’t show up on the Qolsys. So I removed and re-added the Qolsys as secondary where it detected the devices fine.

One issue I am encountering however is the Yale YRD220, all lock states are detected fine by the VeraEdge, but the Qolsys is a different story.

If I manually lock it, i.e. from the outside - VeraEdge shows locked, Alarm.com / Qolsys shows Unlocked even after 10mins.
If I Lock it via VeraEdge app, VeraEdge shows locked, Alarm.com / Qolsys Unlocked even after 10mins.

I have to go into the Qolsys panel, Home control, Locks, and press Get Status, it will then update the Lock status to the correct mode.

If I lock it via Alarm.com/Qolsys the VeraEdge will correctly report the state of the Lock fine.

Is there an option to adjust polling mode or something on the Qolsys so It detects the state change?

There are no advanced polling options I’m aware of, but I’ll send this over to Qolsys to consider. A lot of this may have to do with the Primary controller. If I recall, in a Vera Lite - 2GIG combo both the Vera and 2GIG receive notice of device status changes.

Ok, it appears to be all z-wave devices, the Qolsys is also also not getting the status of the Smart Switch when it is turned on/off from the Vera.

Ok, it appears to be all z-wave devices, the Qolsys is also also not getting the status of the Smart Switch when it is turned on/off from the Vera.

I am having the same issue on a newly installed IQ panel and alarm.com

If I manually unlock the Kiwkset 910, the panel does not refresh to see that it is unlocked, then if I ask alarm.com via Echo to lock the door, Alarm.com says “front door is already locked”

The only way to get the IQ panel to recognize the locks current state is to manually get the status to refresh via the IQ panel.

Same with the switches, the panel does not recognize the current on/off state unless manually retrieving the status. I am having the same issue on a newly installed IQ panel and alarm.com

I am having the same issue on a newly installed IQ panel and alarm.com

Are you also using the IQ panel as secondary Z-wave controller?

I am using t as the primary. Last night I used the path code to update to firmware 1.6 and it fixed the issue. Lights now show status in alarm.com and lock status updates on alarm.com

I am using t as the primary. Last night I used the path code to update to firmware 1.6 and it fixed the issue.

Ah, glad to hear it has been resolved!

Back to the original topic of the IQ panel as a secondary controller.

After only 1 week with Alarm.com linked to Amazon Echo, I am tired of having to add the prefix of “ask alarm.com to XXXXX” in order to perform a task.

So what I would like to do in the short term until Alarm.com is a homeskill in echo is run a Samsung Smart things hub as my main controller so that I can use Echo to voice control without needing to say “ask alarm.com

If I understand this right, I will be able to enable the IQ panel as the secondary controller, and still be able to control lights, locks etc from the alarm.com app as well as control everything from the Smarthings app and Echo?