How to add supported shades to ADC?

PART 1: WHAT’S COMAPTIBLE?
I’m building a house and want to integrate supported shades. I found some older posts about what was supported but it looks like some things were dropped.

I was hoping to find the latest information on supported shades through ADC and what the process is of getting it enrolled and working.

Is it still Lutron RadioRa2 and Homeworks? Just click link and sign in to add to system?

PART 2: HARDWARE & INFRASTRUCTURE
If it is Lutron, which shades work? What is the infrastructure?

Right now I have Somfy shades.
SHADE:
Any Somy RTS shade.

POWERING:
For 24V Shade - 16/2 wire from shade to Somfy Control board. Board is powered by PSU that plugs into wall.

CONTROL:
Use Somfy ZRTSI Controller.
This adds shades to Qolsys panel. Panel sends zwave signal out, ZRTSI converts Zwave to RTS.

What does the above look like for Lutron?
SHADES:
Which Shades are compatible? Sivoia QED? Etc?

POWERING:
It looks like Lutron has a bunch of special wiring. Tons of different kinds. Which wire do you use? 18-4C-PSH-WHT?
Then Lutrons control board with PSU is SVQ-10-PNL?

CONTROL:
Use Lutron Bridge L-BDG2-WH, link to ADC.
How does this part send signal out?

Thanks for helping me understand the specifics!

Thanks!

Lutron is the official supported option, but Somfy can be used.

As far as Somfy goes, the ZRTSI based on past user reports learns into Z-wave controllers each shade individually as a virtual Z-wave device. This is the ideal operation, and it allows each to be controlled in Alarm.com. The only caveat is that they will be categorized as lights (dimmers), but the functionality is there allowing you to select a level and on/off (open/shut).

If you already have Somfy shades I would give that a try first and see how it works for you.

Lutron is a separate system that gets linked on the backend on an account basis. Lutron devices communicate to the main Lutron repeater, which is connected to the internet. You sync your Lutron account to ADC. Lutron doesn’t directly speak to your panel or other ADC devices.

Lutron RadioRa is sold and installed through authorized Lutron installers. Caseta is another option. I believe Serena shades are compatible with Caseta.

1 Like

I’m currently using Somfy at my house. Inexpensive, easy to setup, works great.

House I’m building will likely be for resale (may move into it). I will need the shades to show up appropriately in the shades section of ADC. I won’t be installing the shades, but will be installing the entire infrastructure.

So the recommendation is not to buy components and wire myself, or possibly hire any Low Voltage installer, but to get a Lutron installer to do the work? Will they perform the install without shades?

Caseta is the end user focused version, and it is more intended for a single room or small area.

RadioRa is installed by Lutron dealers, it would be best for a new build to contact a Lutron installer to get it set up. You can then connect it to an Alarm.com account later.

I can’t say what all the installer would be able to do or what limitations they may have. However that would be the way to go for a new build and a RadioRa system.

1 Like