Glass Break False alarms

Hi,

I’m setting up a new system. My house has a ton of glass (in fact, I’m setting up the system because we were burgled and they broke our glass to get in).

I’m trying two ways to detect glass breaks. The main one is that I have a bunch of Interlogix 5150-W glass break sensors, each connected as the 2nd zone of a Resolution RE-101 door sensor. I have them connected to my Qolsys IQ 2 as Door/Window-M as Group 13 Door/Window instant perimeter sensors. I’ve tried with both connected directly and with a 4.7K ohm resistor in series.

Every single one goes into “Open” mode (and stays there) within about the first 6 hours. There’s nothing hitting the glass nor any other cause of weird vibrations I can see.

I’d obviously love to find a way to run these without false alarms!

Secondly, I got an RE-109 audio glass break detector. The first time I tried the system, about 1 hour after I left my house (while boarding a plane…), I got called by the SuretyDIY monitoring center saying it had gone off. No glass was broken and I can’t see anything else that could have caused the alarm.

Anyone have any ways to change the sensitivity on these? Maybe I should add a resistor in parallel with the 5150W’s?

Thank you!

I’ve tried with both connected directly and with a 4.7K ohm resistor in series.

Every single one goes into “Open” mode (and stays there) within about the first 6 hours. There’s nothing hitting the glass nor any other cause of weird vibrations I can see.

You do not need a resistor and should not use one for the hardwire inputs in the RE101. The second zone, the shock zone would wire into B and Common.

Now, I am seeing the same result in this circumstance when programmed the way you describe. As the RE101 is treated as two separate zone IDs I do not believe the multi-function zone is what you should use.

This setup functions normally with restoral status when both zones are programmed as Door/Window. Use sensor Group 13 perimeter for the glass shock sensor.

Secondly, I got an RE-109 audio glass break detector. The first time I tried the system, about 1 hour after I left my house (while boarding a plane…), I got called by the SuretyDIY monitoring center saying it had gone off. No glass was broken and I can’t see anything else that could have caused the alarm.

Do you have pets (dogs) at the house?

There are no sensitivity adjustments on the RE109. Mounting location should be checked. Is it mounted near any potential sources of vibration or noise like an air vent? It should be mounted at least 4 feet from any potential source of noise/vibration.

Thanks Jason. I switched them over and so-far no false alarms. I haven’t tried the screwdriver test yet to verify that they actually work.

I haven’t tried the screwdriver test yet to verify that they actually work.

Always be sure to test sensor functionality after making changes.

The 5150 are very sensitive to impact on the glass which makes testing much easier than audio glass breaks. They are also more resistant to false activation. I tend to prefer them wherever applicable.