GC3 walk test doesn't register sensors

I’ve pretty much completed the setup of my new system with the 2GIG GC3 panel and attempted a final walk test to be sure everything is still registering.

The test itself doesn’t seem to be working. My understanding is that you’re supposed to select Walk Test -> Sensor Test and then trip all the sensors. When each sensor trips, it’s supposed to show that it registered on the console. Once everything registers one way or another, you’re done. The problem I’m having is that almost nothing is registering in the walk test. I’ve tried 3-5 times and the only registration I ever got was on one of my motion detectors (once). I open a door and the console beeps four times, but nothing registers on the display. I know the sensor is working because if I open the same door when the console is on the main screen, it displays that the door is open and thus we’re not ready to arm. Also, most of the zones I tested register properly when I enable chimes.

Any idea what might be going wrong, or what I might be able to try to get this mode working?

Thanks,
Pat

There are two spots to find a sensor test.

Try System Settings - Installer Code - System Tests - Sensor Test.

Do you see the same result?

We noticed problems with the walk test in early firmware versions, but I have not seen any problems that I recall for a few versions now. Looks like you have the latest.

There are two spots to find a sensor test.

Try System Settings – Installer Code – System Tests – Sensor Test.

Do you see the same result?

Yes, I am having similar problems with the Sensor Test using that path as well as

Try System Settings – Installer Code – Installer Toolkit - Walk Test – Sensor Test.

I just tried a more extensive Sensor Test and did get a few sensors to register in the Sensor Test. I eventually got hits on three of four motions I walked past. I opened two windows and got a hit on one of them. I opened four doors and none of them registered fully. For all of the doors and windows, I got a series of four beeps when I opened them. And as above, the system obviously recognizes an open door, since this prevents normal arming.

Any other ideas? Any chance this might be resolved by a full reboot? If so, is there a way to trigger that short of disconnecting AC power and the battery?

Any other ideas? Any chance this might be resolved by a full reboot? If so, is there a way to trigger that short of disconnecting AC power and the battery?

Yes, it is always good to try a power cycle when you notice strange activity. The GC3 will not power cycle itself after saving programming changes like the GC2, and must be manually power cycled by AC and battery.

Does this resolve the issue?

Note that prior inconsistencies were noticed in walk tests, so it may not be indication of a problem.

Also, keep in mind the best way to test sensors is in real-application. Be sure your account is on test mode with the central station if you have monitoring, and you can disabled the panel sounder in configuration. Then, arm your system, then begin tripping sensors.

An alarm signal test lets you know the sensors are communicating with the panel, as well as lets you know they are programmed appropriately if they function as you would expect in the arming mode you select.

FYI. While adding a few more sensors to the system, I re-tested. After power cycling the panel, the sensor test still did not function correctly.

On an unrelated topic, it looks like there is an error in the programming directions for the 2GIG glass break sensors in your
GC3 Programming Guide thread. I’m pretty sure the sensor type should be “03 - Perimeter” instead of “04 - Interior Follower” for those. Your embedded YouTube video in the post uses “03” as well.

On an unrelated topic, it looks like there is an error in the programming directions for the 2GIG glass break sensors in your GC3 Programming Guide thread

This is not an error, but does require some clarity. We will update the post to avoid confusion.

Sensors can be programmed for best functionality. A glass break detector, depending on location and other factors, may be better suited to being a perimeter sensor, or to being an Interior sensor.

The differences between (03) Perimeter and (04) Interior Follower are that interior followers will not cause an alarm when the system is either armed stay or while it is in entry or exit delay countdown.

In most homes, some models of glass break detectors are common false alarm hazards during occupation of the home. Slamming doors, barking dogs, etc. can set off a 2GIG Glass Break detector. For this reason we typically recommend thinking of home glass break detectors as more similar to motion detectors.

You can of course program as (03) Perimeter if you wish.