Frontpoint

Still thinking about the move from Frontpoint to you guys.

The Frontpoint Hub & Keypad are made by Climax Technology and seem like a downgrade. They will eventually have a touch screen & F1 sensors, but their touch screen will be a v1 product. Just seems like they’re moving to a propriety system.

My primary concern is technical support during an event. Over the years, I’ve had a couple of times where a sensor malfunctioned and I was away from home. I then spoke to customer service and they removed the faulty sensor until I returned home. Once was the garage sensor, and the other was a water sensor that was continually stuck open. I replaced both when I got home, but thinking of what I would have done with you guys?

As far as other items …

It seems like your AvantGuard central monitoring should be at least as good as theirs?

What about the warranty on the IQ Panel 2+, I know it comes with 1-year, is there any ability to buy an extended warranty up to 3 years?

I really don’t mind the added expense of the Frontpoint system, and I do like the safety net of their technical support, but no way that I want the Hub/Keypad, and they told me that if my IQ Panel 1 ever breaks then there are no replacements, and they don’t support the 2+.

Over the years, I’ve had a couple of times where a sensor malfunctioned and I was away from home. I then spoke to customer service and they removed the faulty sensor until I returned home. Once was the garage sensor, and the other was a water sensor that was continually stuck open. I replaced both when I got home, but thinking of what I would have done with you guys?

Generally speaking, removal of sensors that are experiencing an unknown issue is not an ideal reaction and limits troubleshooting capability.

Probably the best solution in the majority of cases would be to have the central station place that specific zone on test mode (something you can do 24/7), so the sensor’s activity can still be tracked and history is available to help determine the underlying issue, but no action would be taken due to that zone.

Note we are also looking into providing users the ability to add/remove sensors remotely through your suretyDIY account. I don’t have an ETA for such integration, but it’s a possible future addition.

It seems like your AvantGuard central monitoring should be at least as good as theirs?

I would expect it to be better as we have specifically chosen what we feel is best for our services.

I cannot speak regarding another dealer’s monitoring or procedures.

What about the warranty on the IQ Panel 2+, I know it comes with 1-year, is there any ability to buy an extended warranty up to 3 years?

We do not sell extended warranties at this time, though we are always happy to hear feedback and take requests into consideration. We are always looking to improve our offering.

no way that I want the Hub/Keypad, and they told me that if my IQ Panel 1 ever breaks then there are no replacements, and they don’t support the 2+.

There is a somewhat hidden cost of going a proprietary route. When buying a proprietary system, your system is locked into the services of one company no matter what.

When going with an Alarm.com compatible system, you are using proven, professional, industry-standard equipment compatible with thousands of dealers, local and national, so you are never stuck. The decision of who monitors your equipment is always yours.

Thanks Jason. You’re always prompt and have great thoughts.

Well, I’m making the switch! From Frontpoint IQ1 to the Surety IQ2+. Been re-rereading all the previous comments above.

I have a listing of all 43 IQ1 sensors, with the DL codes. They’re all GE or Qolsys sensors, with a few S-Line sensors.

Thinking that when the new IQ2+ arrives this coming week, I’ll just manually add the 43 sensors with the DL codes to the new IQ2+ and start from scratch for a clean install. Since all the sensors are 1-way sensors, thinking I can run in parallel for a few days until all is perfect. Agree?

I only have 1 z-Wave, an external siren, so thinking that I’ll just delete from the IQ1 and add to the IQ2+?

Thinking I’ll just pick a new username for Alarm.com, and switch the login to the new account?

Anything else that I should know for the switch?

Since all the sensors are 1-way sensors, thinking I can run in parallel for a few days until all is perfect. Agree?

Yep, you can listen for non-Power G sensors on multiple systems at a time, which can help the transition process and testing.

One thing: I would discourage manually typing in the DL ID. Always learn sensors in by tripping them and using the auto-learn sensors feature on the panel. This helps illuminate any potential issues with communication and ensures sensors are at least signaling up front.

I only have 1 z-Wave, an external siren, so thinking that I’ll just delete from the IQ1 and add to the IQ2+?

Yes, it would need to be cleared first with the Clear Device feature before added to the new panel.

Thinking I’ll just pick a new username for Alarm.com, and switch the login to the new account?

If you original account is still active yes, you could swap the username back to your current desired one after the cancellation of your current service. Usernames can be changed under Alarm.com - Settings - Login Information.

Anything else that I should know for the switch?

It sounds like you are well prepared! Account set up through Surety is now automated :slight_smile: After buying your chosen service plan (or equipment and service bundle if buying the panel from us) you can follow the steps in your System Manager in your Surety account dashboard to get your ADC account up and running, get your panel connected, and start using your new service!

Let us know if we can be of any help!

I’m all switched over from the IQ1 to the IQ2+, and this IQ2+ panel is a great improvement over the IQ1! My wife loves the new touch screen for typing the code.

After playing with everything for a few days, removed the IQ1 and power wiring from the wall, and installed the IQ2+ on the wall and ran its wiring. Also a much better looking unit.

Curious … the external antenna wire, what uses that antenna? zWave, sensors, cell? All? I ran the antenna through the hole in the back and have it wrapping around the unit on the outside.

Called Frontpoint and they need 30 days notice, and also service runs to the end of the following month, so if you’re going to switch, call before the end of the month that you want to cancel or you might have to wait up to 2 months. They also confirmed again that they have no intention of supporting Qolsys going forward, with no replacements either. They’re messing up going with that Climax only technology, with no panel available yet.

I also noticed that when I removed the IQ1, that I couldn’t get the back plate back on because the battery had swelled, so this IQ1 unit was probably going to need a new battery eventually anyway. Will now keep the IQ1 on for a while longer in parallel until the Frontpoint service ends.

Also love the sensor signal strength screen on the IQ2+, a great improvement.

So far all is good since I fixed my water sensor issue, loving the switch so far!

Thank you for your follow up! I am glad to hear you are enjoying the service!

Curious … the external antenna wire, what uses that antenna? zWave, sensors, cell? All?

That would be the security RF radio antenna. Typically this should be routed out of the panel into the wall.