Front Door video monitoring

I’m looking to do some sort of video monitoring of the front door outside. I’m trying to decide the best way to do this, was considering an image sensor mounted high, aimed down at an angle but was wondering how it would work with the ‘image sensor events’. My first thought was that 40 events would not be near enough - but it might be if it could be set to only send pictures when the system is armed. Is that possible?

The other option was the IP video. I was wondering if there is a reliable method of triggering recording outdoors. I thought a separate PIR sensor and a proper video recording schedule might work. Or could I get the doorbell? Thoughts?

The image sensor is indoor only. If you point it out the window it might take an OK picture in the day time but at night the IR lights would reflect off the window and you would see nothing. Also, keep in mind the image sensor picture is low resolution. It’s designed for verifying an intrusion, not for getting a clear picture of someone’s face.

I am somewhat opinionated when it comes to outdoor cameras now that Alarm.com has released the SVR. The best thing to do is use an outdoor camera like the ADC-V720 or ADC-V720W with an SVR. That way you get continuous recording so you don’t have to try and tweak video motion detection to account for shadows, headlights, bugs, etc…

Using an outdoor PIR motion detector to trigger cloud recordings of an outdoor cameras would be the next best option.

The best thing to do is use an outdoor camera like the ADC-V720 or ADC-V720W with an SVR

The V721W has replaced the V720W in the alarm.com video lineup, hasn’t it? Any info on why the V720W is no longer listed as supported/offered on the ADC website?

There were rumors not long ago that the V720W cameras had waterproof issues. I also hear that the replacement V721W cameras are shoddy.

Current lineup:
V520
V520IR
V620PT
V720 (PoE)
V721W
V820

Current alarm.com video camera/server offerings:

While the V720 and V720W will surely be discontinued at some point as the V721 is intended as a replacement, they are currently still available.

The waterproofing issue I am aware of is regarding the rear screw-caps. I am willing to bet a lot of the issues dealers encountered were self-inflicted.

I would always recommend sealing the rear ports of the camera (with the screw-down caps). In many instances, these are loosely screwed on or left off altogether. When installing low voltage electronics outdoors, a $2 tube of silicon sealant is one of the most useful tools to have.

While the V720 and V720W will surely be discontinued at some point as the V721 is intended as a replacement, they are currently still available.

Are you sure about the V720? My understanding is that it is a PoE camera (not a wifi), and the V721W is not a PoE camera. My understanding is that the V721W is a replacement for, and has already replaced the V720W camera.

Perhaps I am just missing it then, because I can no longer find it (the V720W) shown or even listed on the ADC website… the V720(PoE) and the V721W are shown and listed though.

https://www.alarm.com/productservices/video_monitoring.aspx

I presume there was dealer pressure to replace the 720W with another outdoor wireless option. You are correct as of this time the 720(POE) is not replaced in their marketing line-up, just the 720W.

From what I gather, even a Dealer can no longer obtain the V720W equipment directly from alarm.com. The only option is now the V721W…