Fridge Doors and Shed Door Contacts

Hi,

I noticed that I can make a rule/notification to let me know when/if my fridge/freezer door is left open. How can I set this up? Is it with a typical IQ door/window sensor and learn it in as a non-reporting.

Also. if I want to have a contact on my shed door, which is not winterized, I noticed the IQ Slim W/S contact is rated for -10 to +50 oC, Definitely OK for the hot end, but winters can see -20oC, for a couple of months. What exactly happens when it goes that low?

I have the IQ2 Panel.

thanks!

Hello I can answer both the u would just program the fridge door sensors as group 25 I think it’s called for non reporting or whatever it’s called can’t remember at the moment and then set up the notifications as u want and as for the shed only thing I know what it will do is possible make the battery go dead faster but depending on what version the Iq panel is 319-345 and if it’s powerg u can get an outdoor sensor which will not effect it with the outdoor temperature

1 Like

U would just program it as a instant Perimeter

I noticed that I can make a rule/notification to let me know when/if my fridge/freezer door is left open. How can I set this up? Is it with a typical IQ door/window sensor and learn it in as a non-reporting.

Yep, you would just use any surface door sensor and set it up for group 25. You can then set up notifications in Alarm.com.

Also. if I want to have a contact on my shed door, which is not winterized, I noticed the IQ Slim W/S contact is rated for -10 to +50 oC, Definitely OK for the hot end, but winters can see -20oC, for a couple of months. What exactly happens when it goes that low?

Both temperature and humidity are a problem for sensors and any normal indoor sensor should never be used in an outdoor environment. While it will cost more, there is no reason not to go with a sensor that is rated for outdoor use.

Look at the PG9312.

An indoor sensor will very likely fail to corrosion due to humidity and condensation, and before that temperatures outside of the supported range may affect transmission range, battery life, sensor sensitivity etc.

Thanks! I’m desperately looking for more than 1 reason to upgrade to IQ2+ to take advantage of the PowerG series, as my current panel has been pretty good to me since I bought it in early 2017. However, if my panel fails tomorrow, I wouldn’t be sad.

I see what you mean about the humidity (and temps) being an issue. I might just try it anyways (as non reporting), since the sensors are not the most expensive pieces of equipment, until I get to PowerG.

For what it’s worth, I’m trying something similar. I afixed an indoor rated PowerG contact sensor (PG9303) to an outside fence gate. I did seal the sensor with outdoor rated silicone. I’ve certainly made the sensor waterproof, but only time will tell how the sensor performs through different seasons. I’m in the southeast and it’s done fine through the spring and summer.
I happened to have an extra $20 9303 sensor and decided to go this route before putting out ~$100 for the outdoor rated PowerG sensor.

thanks! this is good to know. Keep us posted. I also would like to put a couple of sensors on my gates. The need for me to upgrade to the IQ2+ in inevitable.

This ended up not working reliably. I had signalling and water intrusion issues and ended up changing to the powerG outdoor sensor. Works great now.

Great to hear. I put one sensor on my shed door when I posted this, so far so good, about a month into the Canadian winter, -18 degrees Celsius. It’s probably just a matter of time before it fails, but knock on wood IQ slim holds up a little while longer.

@xeon I have contact on both of our refrigerators and alcohols cabinet. Those are set to let us know as ion they are open or left open for extended amount of time. Kids will leave fridges door open and alcohols cabinet we just want to make sure kids don’t get in to it. And I k wi when wife is hitting the bottle when I’m not home, lol.

I also have one under my deck door under the deck since we store all outdoor furniture there. Had that setup for over a year and a half with iq2 and never had any problems. I’m near Chicago so our winters get pretty bad here.

1 Like

Just wanted to add to this my IQ Slim W/S has been outside since last summer, plus we had the frigid temperatures come in the last few days - 39oC (and still here) and she’s still going…

For the fridge doors, I’ve noticed I get quite a few failed statuses, where it would say my door is left open but actually isn’t. I mean the fridge door is opened probably hundreds of times a day, but wanted to know if this is a common thing for these contacts. I think I installed them correctly but here is a photo of them.

For the fridge doors, I’ve noticed I get quite a few failed statuses, where it would say my door is left open but actually isn’t. I mean the fridge door is opened probably hundreds of times a day, but wanted to know if this is a common thing for these contacts. I think I installed them correctly but here is a photo of them.

If they are opened and closed frequently (like multiple times within the span of the 3 minute status delay in ADC) you may not see all the notifications you would expect, although it shouldn’t really affect a left open notification.

That may be more likely due to the sensor attached directly to metal like that. Signal attenuation will be pretty high. Especially if the panel is somewhat far away, but even close by, the fridge is a lot to contend with.

You could try raising the sensor off the surface a bit with a spacer. This is often enough to help when attaching to a metal surface.

If you have persistent issues, a wired contact with a wireless transmitter installed nearby but not directly on the fridge may be better. The S-Line DW Extended is an option.

1 Like

I was just looking at the signal reporting for the two fridge contacts it’s interesting the one that seems to give more failures definitely has poorer signal. As you can see from the pictures the contacts are in the same location and I would say less than 10 feet away from the panel, but yet they produce very different signal reports. Do you think it’s still an issue with the signal attenuation?

Do you think it’s still an issue with the signal attenuation?

Yes. Also simple to test. Open them frequently. Issues with some signals?

Then remove the contacts from the door and open them frequently a little distance from the fridge. Does it improve?