Flakey Video - How to fix?

Another quick test to see if we can create a change in your system, could you power down the SVR, then wait 5 minutes, then try viewing the streams on the website?

Any change with the SVR powered down?

Another quick test to see if we can create a change in your system, could you power down the SVR, then wait 5 minutes, then try viewing the streams on the website?

Any change with the SVR powered down?

So I unplugged the SVR for 5+ minutes and it appears to be working “better” now on the webpage.
All cameras appear to be staying on for the first page of videos I bring up.

I have 7 cameras. ADC only lets you view 4 max at a time per page. If I open 2 pages up to see all 7, one camera drops out now.
It also seems like if I open ADC, go to Videos, and view one page of cameras it works, but if I switch to the other page with the rest of the cameras, one will drop out. If I refresh that page a couple times and wait long enough I can get all the cameras working. But if I switch back to the other page, a camera will drop out. Almost like they have a limit of simultaneous streams on the page (Let’s say 4?) and when I switch pages to the other cameras feed, it still thinks I am streaming the other cameras (if that makes sense).

Also, before it almost seemed like if I tried the webpage video stream shortly after plugging in the SVR it would drop out quicker than if the SVR was on for a while. Almost like it took time to create a buffer.

When I setup the camera port forwarding, I also opened up the ports on the SVR.

What’s your thoughts?

What’s your thoughts?

That is very strange since that suggests again bandwidth limitations based on your description.

I’m sending this to ADC to look at and consider options. Will post back responses.

I’ll check if there are any simultaneous stream limitations and whether or not what you are describing is possibly an issue (streams still open after navigating away)

Also, before it almost seemed like if I tried the webpage video stream shortly after plugging in the SVR it would drop out quicker than if the SVR was on for a while. Almost like it took time to create a buffer.

Did you try this a few times and see the same pattern over and over?

Did you try this a few times and see the same pattern over and over?

It did appears to be a pattern after trying multiple times with the SVR unplugged. a) It worked better b) Only one camera out of both pages would drop out.

Should I unplug the SVR again this week and try again?

To confirm, while the SVR is powered down and attempting to view all 7 cameras at one time, only 1 drops out? Is this when switching between pages or having two tabs open (or both?)

I have updated the ADC team that is looking into this issue. Will post back a with further T/S steps when made available.

In the meantime, try unplugging the SVR again and note any change.

To confirm, while the SVR is powered down and attempting to view all 7 cameras at one time, only 1 drops out? Is this when switching between pages or having two tabs open (or both?)

I have updated the ADC team that is looking into this issue. Will post back a with further T/S steps when made available.

In the meantime, try unplugging the SVR again and note any change.

So I tested today. Unplugged the SVR for hour. Brought up ADC webpage with Video Feed of 3 feeds. Same problem as usual with one of the video feeds dropping out shortly.

So I guess having the SVR unplugged isnt a fix. Not sure what to do at this point.

We’ve checked with ADC on this, but it is proving hard to replicate. There is no update yet unfortunately. To verify the intention, are you looking to have multiple streams open without time-out watching the live view? Do you intend to view at all times or just periodically on a laptop, etc.?

Since this appears to be a back-end website specific issue, one possible work-around may be to use a version of the Alarm.com Video app if possible. Do you have a Fire TV Stick or Fire Tablet? Or do you have Apple TV?

We’ve checked with ADC on this, but it is proving hard to replicate. There is no update yet unfortunately. To verify the intention, are you looking to have multiple streams open without time-out watching the live view? Do you intend to view at all times or just periodically on a laptop, etc.?

Since this appears to be a back-end website specific issue, one possible work-around may be to use a version of the Alarm.com Video app if possible. Do you have a Fire TV Stick or Fire Tablet? Or do you have Apple TV?

I would like when necessary on laptop or desktop to be able to pull up all streams simultaneously to view what is going on at the property without time-out.

In reality, it is hardly ever needed. In order of use, I usually
a) Pull up the camera feed to look at on the ADC app (wish it had grid view instead of single camera view like Hikvision has)
b) Pull up the SVR grid feed of all the cameras on my living room TV Scarface style
c) View individual camera feed at IQ2 Panel
d) Review SVR footage on the website
e) Review all cameras while working at desk

I do have Apple TV, FireTV, Roku, etc. Is there a separate ‘ADC Video’ app, or just ADC apps for them?
Also, will iPad ADC app offer multiple camera view over single like the iPhone app does?

If it was something easy to fix I wanted to resolve. Turning out not so. The other methods work fine for my main use, so it’s really not a huge deal. When/if a solution comes up for this, please post. Or if I find a firmware update or other fix I find, I’ll post. Otherwise, I’ll just use the other methods for now.
Appreciate all the help deep diving into this.

I do have Apple TV, FireTV, Roku, etc. Is there a separate ‘ADC Video’ app, or just ADC apps for them?

Yes, for Apple TV and for FireTV and Fire tablets there is an Alarm.com Video app, distinct from the normal app, which is designed specifically and only for surveillance purposes. It works much better in general if you are looking to monitor multiple streams at a time, being purpose built for it, and would probably be a good work-around.

Also, will iPad ADC app offer multiple camera view over single like the iPhone app does?

While there is an Alarm.com Video specific app for Fire Tablets, there is not one at this time for iPads.

However, this is a good question, because the iPad does not use a ported version of the iPhone Alarm.com app, it is a dedicated build for the iPad with differences from the mobile app.

I don’t remember specifically how the video page is laid out on the iPad app but I do believe it resembles the website over the mobile app. I’ll double check and confirm here.

If it was something easy to fix I wanted to resolve. Turning out not so. The other methods work fine for my main use, so it’s really not a huge deal. When/if a solution comes up for this, please post. Or if I find a firmware update or other fix I find, I’ll post. Otherwise, I’ll just use the other methods for now. Appreciate all the help deep diving into this.

Thank you for your patience, yes, we’ll keep checking with ADC engineers on the ticket. We will post any updates from Alarm.com here.

As an update, the iPad app is a bit of a middle ground between website and iPhone app, but does not have quite the same multi-stream capability as the website. The best workaround would be Apple TV or Fire TV, Fire tablet.

Hi All,

I’m actually not a Surety Home customer, but user the same alarm.com tools via a service in canada called Bell Home Security (formally Alarm Force).

I have the exact same issues described by ImpetuousRacer. I came accross this post on Google via the error he had posted word-for-word. This has been an on-off issues since getting on board since last spring when I joined.

I have 2 HD cameras joined to an ASUS RT-N66U. Camera 1 points to the driveway, the other the front door. The FD camea is physically closerm, and connects easier than the D cam since it’s further away. They both seem to still follow motion detection rules properly, and record when there is movement. However whenever I attempt to view a ‘live’ capture, it fails to connect. I can cycle the cams and it will connect, then disconnect after a short while, but still recording any motion detection.

I can push each camera to record a 50-60s clip no problem and view it in the saved videos list, but can’t get a live feed.

The iOS app also has trouble conencting to the live feed.

@ImpetuousRacer - did you ever close this issue?

However whenever I attempt to view a ‘live’ capture, it fails to connect.

Just to clarify, do you mean whenever you attempt to just view the live stream it doesn’t connect?

When you say live capture it makes me suspect you’re referring to manual snapshots, etc., but I don’t think that would be the case.

What is the model number of the cameras? What firmware version are they currently running? This can be found on the Video Device Info page in ADC.

Just to clarify, do you mean whenever you attempt to just view the live stream it doesn’t connect?

That is correct. Attached a screenshot of the UI. This inability to see these snapshots happened on my PC and in the iOS app.

However it seems I have an update here. I initially was testing from my inside my corporate office network. When I went home and tried to observe alarm.com via my home network, I could view both camera snapshots without issue.

I came into the office today and instead of connecting my laptop to the network, I instead connected it to my iPhone tether cellular network. Under this condition, I was able to see the snapshots load. Attached screenshot #2.

I asked my network guys today if there was anything on our network that could prevent flash content from loading, and they said “Only if it was malicious”. They determine this via a lookup list with a provider. I have to assume that Alarm.com might be on that list?

The behavior is repeated on the iPhone iOS app. Connect to cellular network -> Can view snapshot. Connect to corporate wifi -> Cannot view.

This would explain why the camera recording rules are still triggering and taking snapshots of movement in front of them even though I could not view live shots from the office.

Anyway, I’m hoping this feedback can help. There isn’t a lot of resources on this online.

What is the model number of the cameras? What firmware version are they currently running? This can be found on the Video Device Info page in ADC.

Camera Model: ADC-V722W
Firmware Version: IB8363-ALAM-0100f5

I asked my network guys today if there was anything on our network that could prevent flash content from loading, and they said “Only if it was malicious”. They determine this via a lookup list with a provider. I have to assume that Alarm.com might be on that list?

Your issue is certainly not related to the original thread in this case.

Your local work network is blocking the traffic. The feed is not “malicious.” The content is being filtered by whatever set of rules they use. You would need to work with your network admin to determine if they can allow the feed.

Yes. Your assessment is I think where this landed and is not similar to @impetuousracer after all after some test cases. I just wanted to ensure anyone reading this understood that although the symptom was similar, it was definitely different cause.

I just wanted to ensure anyone reading this understood that although the symptom was similar, it was definitely different cause.

Not a problem, yeah that’s why I called it out too. We appreciate the follow up and clarification. Hopefully you can get this sorted with the IT folks there.

I wanted to follow up on this. I tried viewing the videos streams from Alarm.com again.

-They seem to be working properly now on FireFox 66.0.5.
-With Chrome V74 I cant find any way to allow Flash at all, it looks like Chrome has fully blocked Flash now.
-Microsoft Edge 44.18362.1.0 still times out after a couple minutes.

I did not change or update any of the network settings. I noticed that the flash player loading controls looked different.

Changes since last time…
Windows 10 1903, Updated with latest flash update
Updated all the Unifi Software to the latest.

Will Alarm.com be switching from Flash to a supported video streaming type? If so, is there an ETA?

Thanks.

-With Chrome V74 I cant find any way to allow Flash at all, it looks like Chrome has fully blocked Flash now.

I do not see any error viewing video on V74 Chrome.

Check chrome://settings/content/flash

You can toggle Flash between prompt to run and full block.

Microsoft Edge 44.18362.1.0 still times out after a couple minutes.

There is a natural ~3 minute timeout on streams from the Alarm.com website, is that what you are seeing? Is this different from what you are seeing on Firefox?

You should be able to just tap/click to refresh the stream.

I go to chrome://settings/content/flash and no sites are listed as Block or Allow

Ask first (recommended) is on.

I go to Alarm.com, I click the lock icon before the URL, Site Settings, Flash, and it is set to Block (default).

I change to Allow, and it reverts back to Block instantly. In essence, it will not allow me to Allow Flash at all.

I click on the lock, and where it says Flash, I set to allow. This still doesn’t allow flash to work. I see “Get Adobe Flash Player” on the page.

Chrome V74.0.3729.157 (64-bit)

I am using the same version of Chrome. Interesting, it works as expected here.

Do you have any security extensions or pop-up/ad blockers which may inadvertently or otherwise block flash? What anti-virus software is installed?