Firmware for 3G communicator

I’m using the AT&T 2G communicator now. I saw the video on swapping out the 2G communicator and installing the 3G one. I’m about to order that. But my firmware is older than the required 1.9.5. I don’t understand why I have to buy an additional $25 cable and why this can’t be just either done through OTA or what is so special about this cable that it costs $25. I’m not sure that I want to pay $25 for a cable that I’m unlikely to use often and likely to lose. So is there a way for me to get the firmware through OTA mechanism ro use some existing USB cable. From the image it kind of looks like a USB A to mini USB cable like the one that came with my Android phones from 8 years ago. Is it? Or do I have to just suck it up and buy this cable?

Never mind. Found a better image of this on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/2gig-UPCBL2-Firmware-Update-Cable/dp/B00DQV58VQ). It’s a completely different cable. Still sucks that it costs $25. But I’ll just go ahead and buy it.

From the image it kind of looks like a USB A to mini USB cable like the one that came with my Android phones from 8 years ago.

It is a USB to four pin board connector cable. USB to mini USB would not work.

Local updates should always use a 2GIG Update Cable.

and why this can’t be just either done through OTA

OTA updates are available, but we generally do not recommend them over local updates for a few reasons:

1. With a cable, future updates can be applied as soon as the firmware is available, for free.
  2. Cellular OTA updates take a long time (up to 12 hours, especially over 2G) and a power loss or entering programming during that time can cause irreversible damage.
  3. OTA updates over cell carry a one time data charge for each update. (The Go!Bridge allows updates to be free)
  4. OTA updates are always incremental. For example, if you have a 1.8 firmware, one OTA cannot take it higher than 1.10. (This would be sufficient for the 3G module, so to get connected you’ll likely only need one update)

So, all that being said, if you would prefer an OTA update, please email customerservice@suretyDIY.com to make the request.

If you choose to use a cable and you currently have firmware prior to 1.9, make sure to first update to 1.13 before any higher versions are applied.