Feature Request - Temp Ignore Safety Sensors

So I actually had my first opportunity to speak to the callcenter through the panel on Saturday. Had some family over for a pajama party to watch Polar Express in the theater, and as I was popping up a batch of popcorn, managed to set off the smoke detector (ironic as I’ve popped up there many times with no trouble). So I darted downstairs, killed the alarm at the panel, told the callcenter everything was good, password, all happy.

However, it got me to thinking, it’d be nice if we could temporarily disable a safety sensor (or multiple) for a specified duration. Just for those times when you know it’s likely to trigger. I actually didn’t put a smoke detector in the kitchen for this very reason, and went rate of rise heat only. But Saturday’s fun got me thinking there’d be other times where it’d be nice just to tell the panel to disable a given set of sensors for the next x amount of minutes. Save the dart to disable the panel and tell them everything’s ok.

While this cannot be done at the panel, you can always contact the central station directly to place individual zones on test for a specified time-frame. (up to 72 hours) This would not stop the panel from activating, but it would make sure no fire department calls are made during that time.

I would not recommend doing this for extended periods, but if you have reason to believe false activation might occur, it’s an option. You would just need to give operators the Zone number and your password to place the zone on test.

Yeah, I was thinking about that approach as well, just thought it’d be nice if you could do it from the panel as well. That way it would also prevent the sensor/alarm from sounding.

Now the real priority… I just have to figure out if it was making a double batch of popcorn that triggered the sensor. :slight_smile: (I have an 8oz machine, but up till now have only ever used 4oz at a time)

just thought it’d be nice if you could do it from the panel as well. That way it would also prevent the sensor/alarm from sounding.

Smoke detectors cannot be bypassed normally either. I believe this would be against fire safety standards and likely would not be implemented.