Enable existing non-MyQ garage door control

Hello Warren,

I am interested in knowing technically if it will work. I can always add a safety sensor.
I understand 100% the purpose of it.

I am also considering a DIY. My back up plan was to pick up a couple ECO plugs add a relay
and control the door that way. The MyQ garage interested me because it had the sensor that
mounts to the door letting me know if it where open. Then I wouldn’t need the IP camera.

Over the last few days I have found several add on units that mount across the push button door
contacts which have WiFi. So I have some options. They all have their own WiFi over the internet
app. I did like the MyQ because of the open/close notification and I think the company will be around longer to support their app

Ken

I am interested in knowing technically if it will work. I can always add a safety sensor. I understand 100% the purpose of it.

Please understand we cannot recommend or support a solution that is deemed unsafe. The safety sensor is a requirement under UL 325 so it would definitely be needed. Technically what you’re thinking should work, but given the total cost there is not really any benefit to it over swapping the opener.

I am also considering a DIY. My back up plan was to pick up a couple ECO plugs add a relay and control the door that way

We love the DIY spirit! However, I would very strongly recommend against trying to DIY a solution with relays for a garage door. It should not be done. A simple contact closure relay can operate the door but it is dangerous to implement remote automation on machinery without built-in safety features.

Over the last few days I have found several add on units that mount across the push button door contacts which have WiFi.

Any solution would technically require the same secondary entrapment protection system, like the photoelectric safety sensor. This is a UL safety standard. (Federal Regulations actually mandate that all openers made 1993 to present have to include them)

Thanks for all the info. I might play around with this a couple different ways.
Maybe start off with the ECO plugs and relay. I also have a 4 relay board coming with on board
WiFi that has built in momentary relay. I already moved one of my webcams
into the garage to see the status of the door (up or down) My purpose of this is just to
be able to close it should I or the Wife forget to close the door. I can’t really see any
other reason I would want to use it for. The challange is to see how cheap I can do this.
The 4 relay board sells for $15 and offers a free app for internet control.
Some people are using Rasperry Pi but that seems to complicated for such a simple contact
closure circuit for my old Sears.

Should be fun.

Ken