E series and encryption

I read the latest news that 2gig came out with an E series for both GC2 and GC3 and it has encryption between sensors and main unit. Doe this mean older GC2 panels are not encrypted signals?

No. The 2GIG GC2 and GC3 use standard 345 mhz Honeywell wireless protocol which does not employ encrypted transmission.

Thank you for answering.

Does this mean that in order to have encrypted signals I would have to change all my sensors as well as the main panel?

How much of a concern is it to have a system that is not encrypting signals back and forth?

Does this mean that in order to have encrypted signals I would have to change all my sensors as well as the main panel?

That’s correct. The sensors themselves must support encryption as well as the panel radio.

How much of a concern is it to have a system that is not encrypting signals back and forth?

This is more a question for the user to answer.

Encryption ensures your panel is the only device that can understand the status of your sensors.

Using the information from sensors takes specific equipment and a level of sophistication, and the most sophisticated tool a common opportunistic criminal may use is a brick.

That said, encrypted sensors are objectively more secure. We currently only sell the IQ Panel 2+ in part because it uses both S-Line encrypted sensors and Power G sensors, which are the industry standard in terms of high security wireless. Power G also employs spread spectrum to help combat things such as spoofing.