DW10 with Light Switch

I saw Jason posted a video on connecting the DW10 into a traditional light switch. http://suretydiy.com/forums/search/Dw10+light+switch/

You may need to dumb this down for me, but I wasn’t clear on what I can do with that setup.

I am looking to make my front porch lights automated via our 2GIG panel so they will come on at dusk and off at dawn. Will buying / connecting the DW10 accomplish that for me?

We have a 4 gang box with traditional light switches so I don’t have a design to change all four to the paddle style switches to have ZWave capability.

Thank you!

using the DW10 for the zwave trigger for zwave rule automation allows you to setup an on/off switch anywhere…ideal for those automation projects where there is no switch to begin with, or you want to add another.

If you have a electrically wired switch that controls the front porch light(s), then you need to place the zwave switch there. the cheapest/easiest way is to go to your local Lowes, and in the iris section, get the $35 GE/Jasco zwave switch, and wire it in.

BUT if don’t want to change out the traditional toggle switches for the zwave paddle switch, then your option is to get a zwave module that you conceal in the gang box behind the toggle, like the Aeon micro.

Aeon:

GE/Jasco:

An alternative to zwave switches, and outlets for installing automated zwave lighting, is the Z-Wave Dimmable LED Light Bulb $35.

The LinearLinc™ BulbZ is a Z-Wave controllable and fully-dimmable, instant-on LED screw-in light bulb that provides pleasant soft-white illumination. Equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent bulb and using only nine (9) watts of energy.

Built in zwave repeater
750 Lumens

Basically, you screw it in just like any light bulb (only do this outside if your existing outside bulbs are regular bulbs that are enclosed), pair to panel, then go online and set up automation rules. Keep in mind that the interior switch will need to be kept in the “on” position.

LinearLinc:

Thank you!

Yes, I do want to keep the tradition toggle switches since I have a 4 gang box - so I will be looking at the Aeon product.

My house was built in 1963 and only has two wires (black and white wires) coming to the switch. I read the online directions from the Aeon product and it says it must be powered by a 3-wire system in order to operate.

Any thoughts on guidance if I can use this? And if so how do I install?

Thanks!

You will need a Neutral wire connected to the Aeon Micro Switch for functionality. A two wire on-off switch wouldn’t have a neutral wire connected, but there is likely a bundle of neutrals spliced together in the rear of the gang box. Typically these will be white. Do you see a bundle of wires spliced together?

Typically hot carrier wires will be black, traveler wires (for 3-way) are typically red. But, you cannot follow color coding because not all electrical installers do so. If it is easier to simply use the white wire as the load or line, they will likely do it. Make sure you are metering wires to determine which are which if you are installing.