Configure Motion Sensor Activated

I’m installing a new system with an IQ Panel 4 and a few motion sensors. While testing the Arm Away functionality, I noticed that the motion sensors only trigger an alarm if enough time had passed for them to revert their state from “activated” to “idle.” They are in the “17 Away- Instant Motion” sensor group. It seems as if this leaves a window during which the property is vulnerable.

I’d prefer if motion would trigger an alarm immediately after the the exit delay had expired and the system had been armed, regardless of how long since they last detected motion. Is it possible to configure this?

No, the Activated vs Idle status in Alarm.com has no impact on alarm triggers. Those are statuses in Alarm.com only based on activity which occurs while the system is disarmed. “Alarm” is a separate status the panel determines.

However, a wireless motion detector will have a short onboard reset period between when the last motion occurs and when it can trigger again, a battery saving feature. This is unrelated to the ADC activated and idle statuses, to be clear.

When testing for alarms, you’ll need to leave the room out of view of the motion detector, wait a couple minutes, then re-enter. If the detector is in a spot where you didn’t trigger it on the way to arm the system it you can test it right away.

Sorry for the delay, but thank you for the explanation! Are the various delays configurable in Alarm.com? Do you know of any motion detectors where the onboard reset period is configurable?

No, the Alarm.com activity monitoring delays cannot be configured to behave differently.

Sensors cannot be configured to function differently in that way.

Wired motion detectors generally do not have the short local power save delay since they are not relying on battery and conserving power. You could use a wired motion detector connected to a wireless transmitter.

This however will not change how ADC activity delays are displayed, and is not necessary for alarm monitoring.

Understood, thanks again!