Combining systems

We recently closed down our business (2 separate Surety Alarm systems) and moved my residence (3rd alarm system). In my new residence, I re-used the sensors & keypad from the old residence on the windows/doors. Now we’re having all kinds of issues-

1. The system randomly reports one of the sensors (right now, it’s the garage entry door) as being open, even tho it’s confirmed closed and no one has opened it.

2. It randomly reports that keypad 1 has a loss of supervision.

3. I re-named one of the sensors from Living Room Window to Front Door. When opened/closed (or alarm goes off from that sensor), it reverts back to reporting it as the original name- Living Room Window, as well as texts me the old name. The new name doesn’t stay registered.

4. I set the system to ‘Away’ mode. The countdown begins in order to exit the property. I open the front door (or any sensor for that matter) and the alarm instantly goes off, while it still continues to count down.

This thing is all messed up. I have it plugged in, battery working, currently have a radio signal of ‘7’.

Can you help ASAP?

Seems there are a few issues to tackle. The first is that 7 is way too low for clear communication. The panel needs to be at 11/31 at a minimum. Can you put the panel in a location with better signal?

I have requested an updated equipment list for your system and it seems there are multiple sensors with the same name. One of your “front door” sensors is listed as a “perimeter” sensor rather than “enter/exit” which is likely creating some issues.

When you moved the TS1 to another panel for use, did you also move the needed transceiver?

Hi Amanda-
I’ll try to find a new location for better signal.

No, when I moved, I just thought all the sensors/magnets were essentially the same- they all got mixed up. I chose which ones to use by first plugging in the control panel, and then testing each sensor with a magnet and watching the control panel to see if/which pre-programmed setting it triggered (if any)- and then adding it to the house.

So I took a sensor, tested with a magnet- if it triggered and read ‘living room window 2’, I then installed it at living room window 2. MOST of the sensors lined up from the old house to the new house- there are some that I still either need to add, or, change the names on.

So basically, it sounds like this is all a huge mess. Do I need to take down each sensor, re-program them to the correct settings/type of opening? What’s the easiest way to get this back functioning properly?

Not at all. The first things to do are to find a location with better signal strength, and move the needed transceiver to the correct panel. This video shows how to do the later.

At this point what signal strength are you getting? Can you add the TS1 to the new panel now?

OK- so here’s the deal-
Been testing the signal strength all over the house- the best I can get is 6-7. It sometimes jumps up to 8 for a few seconds, then drops out. Sometimes it drops completely to ZERO without moving it around at all.

SO- I tested it outside. Perfectly clear day, no clouds in the sky, no large obstructions, trees, overhangs, etc… sitting in the front yard, not moving- the BEST I can get is 6-7… sometimes it jumps to 10, but within about 5-10 seconds, it drops to ZERO, and hangs there for quite a few minutes. Something’s not right with this thing. Sitting outside with clear vision to the sky, I should be getting better, and more consistent signal, right???

If you can’t get a better signal strength then you’re not going to have a very good user experience. The cellular antenna is plugged in and you’re using the antenna that came with the AT&T module, right? If the proper antenna is connected properly and you’re still only getting a 6-7 signal strength then AT&T HSPA simply isn’t very strong at your new location. The best thing to do is try a Verizon CDMA module instead. Since you said you had 2 other systems, did either of those have a Verizon module?

Otherwise, if you have a pretty reliable broadband connection then you could probably get away with adding a Go!Bridge and using dual path communication so the cellular module with the weak signal would serve more as a backup to broadband.

I’ve requested a signal strength measurement from your panel twice in the past 20 minutes and received a 10 both times so that’s promising. We usually say 11 is the minimum but 10 is pretty close to that.

Interesting. I don’t have it re-mounted on the wall right now- as I was testing it in various locations. Let me re-mount it and have you test the signal again. - Done- can you re-test and let me know?

Also- all units, as I recall, have the AT&T. Is there a way to find out? Can you check my account and see? How would I go about seeing if a Verizon one would work better for me?

As for the broadband- I assume I’d have to run a cat5e cable to the control panel directly? Or can it sit closely to the router and communicate wirelessly to the panel?

I got 10 again at 8:44pm EST.

There’s not a good way to find out whether Verizon would work better besides just trying it. You can enter your address in this page but it’s just an average by zip code, the results aren’t specific to your exact address.

http://suretydiy.com/alarm-com-cellular-coverage-check

With the Go!Bridge, you would plug it into your network with an Ethernet cable and it communicates wireless with the 2GIG control panel. It does require a transceiver in the 2GIG panel but if you have a TS1 working then you must already have a transceiver.

Not sure what a TS1 is?

Address check says ‘full coverage’ for all services. I should be able to get higher number, sitting outside, right???

Otherwise- what’s the next step here?

A TS1 is the secondary keypad I thought you said you had. Do you not?

No, if it says full coverage that doesn’t mean it necessarily works well at your address, It just means your zip code is covered pretty well on average.

The next step is up to you. You can try to use it as it is, you can try getting a Verizon module or you can add a Go!Bridge.

Yes, I have a TS1, so the bridge would work.

In the moment, I haven’t had any issues with the signal strength. So I’d prefer to keep it working as-is for now, since, moving the panel doesn’t improve it anyways.

SO- back to the original issues here- how do I resolve all the problems I’m having???

BTW- I have yet to plug in and turn on the TS1… I’m waiting to get this all setup before I install that.

At the old house, I had a main panel, and the TS1 setup properly. I unplugged them and brought them over to the new house. Again, I have yet to plug in and turn on the TS1 since then. I never touched a transceiver? I assume you guys installed that when I originally placed the purchase order and it’s still inside the main panel?

The needed transceiver would be inside the panel the TS1 was originally programmed to. You’ll need to it to be installed in the panel you are using now before the TS1 will work with it. If you need to swap transceivers, its rather simple as shown in the video I linked to above.

OK- so I should go ahead and plug in the TS1 now? I think you’re confused… The original panel that had the transceiver installed is the same one I am using now. I just haven’t plugged in the TS1 in this new house yet… I’ll do that now.

What’s the next steps after that?

Great. Rather than an issue with the transceiver, we know the cause and solution of one of your issues:

2) It randomly reports that keypad 1 has a loss of supervision.

This is occurring because you do not have the TS1 powered on. Plugging it in should solve this problem. As long as its off your panel will report supervision problems with the secondary keypad.

BTW- absolutely LOVE this customer service! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

Plugged in the TS1- and I get an alert of ‘end of malfunction’.

How do I correct the other issues now?

Thank you!

HA! That makes sense. I just assumed Keypad 1 was the MAIN panel! Go figure…

So, now, how do I correct the other problems?

1) The system randomly reports one of the sensors (right now, it's the garage entry door) as being open, even tho it's confirmed closed and no one has opened it.

You mean it shows open on the 2GIG panel when it’s actually closed? Is it consistently the garage entry door sensor or are you saying that happens with several sensors.

2) It randomly reports that keypad 1 has a loss of supervision.
Again, I have yet to plug in and turn on the TS1 since then.

That explains that. It’s complaining that it can’t talk to the TS1.

3) I re-named one of the sensors from Living Room Window to Front Door. When opened/closed (or alarm goes off from that sensor), it reverts back to reporting it as the original name- Living Room Window, as well as texts me the old name. The new name doesn't stay registered.

When you change a sensor name on the 2GIG panel we have to make Alarm.com sync the it’s sensor names with your panel or it will continue to use the old name. Is it better now?

4) I set the system to 'Away' mode. The countdown begins in order to exit the property. I open the front door (or any sensor for that matter) and the alarm instantly goes off, while it still continues to count down.

That should happen if you open a “perimeter” sensor during the countdown. Not if you open an entry/exit sensor during the countdown. Are you sure you aren’t opening a perimeter sensor?