Can I add a Leviton switch to my account?

Hi, I had to replace the Jasco switch that had been connected to my Surety account. When I tried to connect a new Leviton Decora Smart z-wave switch, my phone did not recognize it. It just spins for 30+ seconds and the switch does not connect to my phone. What’s wrong?

Yes, though to clarify, additional steps must be taken to pair a Z-wave device to your panel. While you can trigger Z-wave inclusion mode via Alarm.com, Z-wave device addition is a local process, and you may need to run a remove device process on it first to clear the switch’s saved parent network data.

I would generally recommend doing this locally at the panel and do not use the app.

Steps to add Z-wave devices on your panel are found below:

ok so I am on the main panel in my house. it said it was “listening for devices to remove” - and I made sure the switch is in “recognize” mode (green light blinking). Then my main panel said it was “adding nodes” and now it is back to “listening for devices to remove”. And the Leviton switch is still in “recognize” mode.

this seems to be taking too long…

Just to be sure the correct steps are being followed, you need to put the panel in remove device mode, then activate the switch. The panel must be listening for devices when the switch is activated, not the other way around.

ok - i think i have done it. and now - the screen reads “multi level switch " node ID:9” - but it is still “listening for devices to remove” so I guess i have to wait until that is complete - before I can click on this “node ID:9” to remove it?

cuz right now - when I try to select this “node ID:9” by touching on the screen, it doesn’t do anything.

You do not need to choose anything on the screen when removing devices.

The panel will simply display that a device has been removed.

So that we can best assist, can you post a photo of the messge you are seeing?

Go ahead and back out. Enter add device mode, then activate the switch. Is it discovered by the panel?

unfortunately - I clicked the “back arrow” button - so I “lost” this device and had to restart the “listening for devices to remove” again - which is what i’m doing now

ok - i did back out - and am now doing the “Listening for devices to add” and then i reset the actual switch so it was in recognize mode.

now it is “listening for devices to add”…

it seems to be stuck on on the Listening

Your prior image indicates that the device was already paired with the panel as Node ID 9. That device was indeed just removed from your system according to Alarm.com history.

It was labeled Kitchen Recessed Ceiling Light Dimmer

Your original message stated it was a new switch. Can you confirm whether you moved a switch from one location to another or if you are trying to pair a new switch? An existing switch was removed, not a new one being cleared.

Hi Jason,

Ugh – the node 9 – if a Jasco dimmer switch that HAD been connected to mysurety – but the switch has failed – and we have been trying to figure out if the switch broke or if there is another problem.

That being said – I used to have in my list of devices – a wall/light switch that was labeled something like “basement stairs ceiling light”. It was a Jasco switch that failed – so we replaced it with this Leviton – decora smart – switch. Which is the switch I’m trying to add to mysurety.

Is there any way for you to look up that “name” to tell me which node it used to be on?

And, if node ID9 = is the recessed kitchen light switch – then that is not the one I’m trying to add.

When you tap Remove Devices, then you tap the switch to initiate its inclusion/exclusion mode, the device you interact with is the one removed.

So if an existing node was removed that means the wrong physical switch was tapped. Is it possible someone else in the house accidentally tapped the wrong switch or is it possible the wrong switch is being addressed right now?

There is no other way for what occurred to happen.

There is a device named “Basement Ceiling Light Dimmer” is that what you are referencing? That is still an active node, node 23.

I cannot see what manufacturer was listed for the Node 9 Kitchen Recessed Ceiling Light Dimmer now that it is deleted, just confirmation that it was a dimmer on node 9.

Is it possible that some of the devices are mislabeled? It looks like you have 11 lights that do not have a specific label.

Given the uncertainties, let’s make sure we verify the model you are working with, what is the exact model number of the light switch you are trying to add? Can you provide a photo of it?

I mean the physical switch. Judging by the device that was removed, either that switch had already been learned as Kitchen Recessed Ceiling Light Dimmer, or the wrong switch was interacted with during the remove device procedure.

Is it possible that some of the devices are mislabeled?

Ah, well that would be a problem.

Looking at the manual image again that you posted, that is a wifi model of switch. It is not Z-wave.

That switch would never communicate with the panel. I am guessing someone inadvertently tapped the Kitchen switch while you were working on that one maybe?

That makes more sense given what occurred.

As mentioned, the kitchen recessed light switch, which is also a Jasco brand, has failed. So we have been working on it. Disconnected it and then reconnected, to see if the wiring had become disconnected. That is why the system was recognizing that switch.

Ok - so the switch for which I attached the images will never connect to my surety account.

What other brand wall switches/dimmers, will work? The previous owner of this house used Jasco switches, and 2 of them have already failed. So I do not want to buy Jasco again. Any other brands of a good quality that will be compatible with surety?

Some models of wifi switches are supported directly by Alarm.com, linked right to the account rather than the panel. Unfortunately the model you showed is not listed as supported.

For Z-wave and Leviton, look at the DZ15S and DZ6HD model numbers.

Here is a page of supported devices through Alarm.com. Sticking to this list is advised.