Alarm.com delayed notifications and timeouts

I’ve done some more testing and now realize the problem isn’t any better when the panel is taken outside. The signal strength varies wildly even when no changes in position or location are made to the antenna. The virtual ‘radio status’ button in the installer toolbox varies in color (r/y/g) but does not seem correlated to the signal strength as it used to be.

I have ordered a new Verizon LTE module which is due here tomorrow. Is there anything I need to do to tell either Surety or the panel itself of the change or can I just power down, install, and power up?

You will need to send the 15-Digit cellular module number (IMEI) of the new module to our team via the Secure Message Tool so they can associate the new number with your Alarm.com account. Note that this can only be switched during normal business hours.

You will want to power down the panel completely, transformer first, then internal battery and install the new module utilizing both of the included antenna. Then power up the panel battery first then transformer.

After the number has been swapped on your account, our team will follow up via email to confirm. You will need to run a cell test after that in order to establish connection between panel and service.

Thanks, Tyler. If this doesn’t solve the problem, I’ll be reverting to the original LTE module and replacing the GC2 panel unless you have a better idea.

Also, can you help me make sense of this scenario in the pics:

1. Signal 0/31 with green button
  2. Signal confirmed 0/31
  3. Radio test successful (and completed quickly)

All 3 pics taken in a 5 second period without changing antenna position.

It looks like one of the pics is missing. Is this related to the original module as discussed above or the new module?

This is the original module. Actually only one of the pics should have been posted (they’re a collage of 3 shots). I didn’t want to post the one with ID #s. The point was to figure out why with 0 signal the button is green and module worked. I couldn’t delete the other pic, can you?

I got the new module today. Plugged it in and am getting identical signals. Not sure this will solve the problem after registering the IMEI with you.

Wondering now if a new panel is my next option or is there any way to get a longer cable for the 10 foot antenna.

The frustrating part is this all worked fine, for years, up until a couple of weeks ago and I can’t figure out why.

I would appreciate any ideas you have.

The picture has been deleted.

Wondering now if a new panel is my next option or is there any way to get a longer cable for the 10 foot antenna.

AFAIK no there isn’t longer one than the attic one obtained above. although as you mentioned the existing module still fluctuated even outside so im unsure if a longer antenna would play a factor.

Signalling information with the new module may not be accurate until fully connected and the IMEI has been associated with your ADC account and a cell test run afterwards.

Tyler,

The new cell module was installed Monday morning with absolutely no change in the behavior of the system. We have now ruled out the antenna, the cell module, any electronics in my home interfering (all powered down for testing). The only two possible culprits are the panel itself or the Verizon cell signal reaching my house.

Reasons it could be the panel:

1. Almost 7 years old.
  2. Strange display (i.e. says 0/31 signal but colored green and can occasionally connect; also occasionally says 29/31 with no ability to connect.

Reasons it could be the cell signal:

1. Known construction of a new tower about a mile away (although I thought it was GSM for T-Mobile).
  2. Weak signal even outside on front porch.

I am willing to buy a new panel if you think that will likely help. My current panel is one of the older ones (has “Emergency” and “Home” under the buttons). It’s my understanding that the settings from that can’t be backed up and restored to a new panel? What would be involved in installing a new GC2?

I am willing to get a Go!Bridge but don’t want IP to be my primary source of connectivity. I would do this if you think it is a better option while waiting for the AT&T module to be available.

Not sure what to do at this point but I need to do something. I have a wee bit of connectivity if the 10 ft. attic antenna is draped over an open closet door near the panel (can’t leave it like this forever).

I would appreciate your input on how to proceed. This is the first time in almost 7 years I haven’t been able to fix a GC issue.

Thanks!

It is hard to say definitively, but based on the description, if you see somewhat of a change in quality outside, or with the antenna in a specific spot, this is unlikely to be caused by the panel itself.

It is most likely a carrier signaling/tower connection issue locally at your location. Have you tried the steps in the following video yet? It is a hail mary, but would like to test to see if there is any effect.

A Go!Bridge would provide concurrent IP backup communication. It cannot act as the only or primary communication source. However it is perfectly suited to a location where internet is more reliable than cell.

Also, do you have any close neighbors that might have a cell network extender?

It’s my understanding that the settings from that can’t be backed up and restored to a new panel? What would be involved in installing a new GC2?

Settings cannot be backed up from an old panel (with “emergency” spelled out) to a GC3, but there is no issue with restoring to another GC2.

If you went this route you could request a Backup and Restore process be started by submitting a request through our Secure Message tool. Be sure to not install the module in the new panel until instructed in reply by Surety customer service, as this would sync with ADC and overwrite your device list.

Jason,

Thanks for the hail Mary, but no luck. The only weird thing was that when I cancelled the walk test, the Home button on the panel was flashing orange. I don’t know if there’s any significance to that.

So… what would you do next if this were your system in your home?

I would likely replace the panel. I would go with the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ with 345 MHz radio card. The QS9202-5208-840 version includes an AT&T LTE cellular module. The QS9201-5208-840 (Verizon) version includes the Verzion LTE.

The 345 MHZ radio card would be compatible with existing 345 MHz sensors in use. It offers dual-path out of the box so no extra equipment is needed for concurrent broadband. It also offers compatibility with PowerG sensors in addition to the 345MHz sensors. When buying it new, it comes with a warranty as well.

Downside would be that it is not compatible with the 2GIG TS1 secondary panel or any 2GIG image sensors in use.

Tyler,

I could live without my image sensor but not supporting the TS1 is a dealbreaker. I’m going to call 2GIG tomorrow to see if they have a release date for the AT&T module.

One last question: is this related to the issue that my videos clips haven’t been recording since 5/26?

One last question: is this related to the issue that my videos clips haven’t been recording since 5/26?

No. Alarm.com cameras communicate with ADC via your internet, not through cellular, and do not directly connect to the panel.

Your recording schedules are currently paused in Alarm.com. This indicates you likely went over the monthly recording limit last month. You can toggle them back on by navigating to Video > Recording Schedules.