Aeotec Smart Switch 7

I just purchased a few Aeotec Smart Switch 7 and am having a hard time adding these devices to my network. Anyone else try to add these devices to an IQ Panel? I added them but they are not responsive. Trying to add them a second time but the system won’t allow me to cleare the devices to re-add. Every time I try to clear the devices, it won’t work…Not sure what is going on. Anyone else have issues with these switches?

When I turn the device on an off with my app a blue light goes on and off (the device is receiving a communication) but it does not a switch the light. Very strange.

I have sent some commands to resync the Z-Wave device list. Please wait about 5 minutes or so for commands to take effect.

To better assist, what is the name you gave the switch?

Hi Tyler, there are 2 switches, once called Christmas Tree Lights 1 and the second called Christmas Tree Lights 2. Only lights #2 is showing up in my app.

Interestingly, I was just on Aeotec website and it lists alarm.com compatibility but references a “custom firmware update”. Do I perhaps need a firmware update to make it work? Of course this is a note that I didn’t see before purchasing the switch!

So previously the device remained on when I switched it on and off, now it remains off— not sure if that is associated with what you did…the blue light on the device is turning on and off when I switch it with the app but it doesn’t do anything to the light that is plugged in

I can confirm that only christmas tree2 is reporting in Alarm.com. Tree1 doesnt show up at all, I have sent additional commands at this time to see if I can get it to show up.

If its not reporting in ADC at all, we cant send commands to it (like to delete it). Its possible the switch 7 needs to be factory reset (steps would be found in the manual) then cleared from the panel’s network.

Looks like you can factory reset the switch 7 by Pressing and holding the learn button for 20 seconds or more. Fades blue LED in and out slowly

Interestingly, I was just on Aeotec website and it lists alarm.com compatibility but references a “custom firmware update”

Custom firmware for the device or for the panel?

Firmware for the panel can be found here:

Re: firmware, it didn’t saw whether it was for the device or for the panel. I assumed for the panel. I will contact them to get some details.

2.6.2 is the most recent for the panel steps and patch notes found in the above linked page.

How do I tell if I have the most recent patches installed?

Firmware can be determined under settings > Adcanced Settings > About > Software > Software Version

Mine lists 2.5.4-ADCS 7.34-ADCL 7.34

While the Aeotec Switch 7 is not currently listed as tested compatible by Qolsys, updating the panels firmware may help to resolve the issue.

However, I would recommend factory resetting the Smart Switch first, then attempting to clear and re-add.

I did get a response back from Aeotec, they have a custom firmware update for the switch that is supposed to work as well, just trying to figure out I can get the update applied to the devices….

It doesnt appear to be possible to update an individual Z-Wave devices firmware through the IQ Panel 2, but Aeotec might have a better understanding of the process involved.

I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that Smart Switch 7 is not compatible with the IQ2 panel because its a 700 series type z-wave device, so I ended up getting a few Smart Switch 6’s (which are disconitued, but work well).

You’ll probably have to get Aeotec USB Z-wave to upgrade the firmware of the swithch, I’d be curious to know if that solves the IQ2 issue.

I’ve been communicating with Aeotec and they have a firmware update that can be installed in the devices. It does require a z-wave usb to get the firmware on the device.

Yes apologies that is correct, the 700 series does not work as intended on the IQ Panel 2/2+. I could not say whether updating the firmware on the 7 would allow it work on the IQ Panel 2/2+ but i suspect not.