Activate IQPanel 2 system on mobile hotspot?

I have an older IQ Panel 2 that I am installing in a new home (likely to be upgraded to a newer panel later).

Would it be possible to setup and activate the system connecting the system to my iPhone’s mobile hotspot?

Plan is to get everything connected and set up and then switch the wifi SSID once home internet has been set up.

Can you share with me the steps again to get the system activated and linked to alarm.com?

Have you ever heard of anyone being successful in attempting to do that?

Alarm.com activation does not require wifi. You would be able to activate just using the cellular connection and connect the system to wifi at a later time.

Activation is performed on our website. After purchasing your chosen plan you will be prompted to activate, and our website walks through the steps.

It looks like you may have already purchased service. You can activate at any time by visiting suretyhome.com/setup or your system manager here.

Awesome, Jason. Thank you.

@Jason - is there any way to look back at old system logs for this panel and determine what the installer code is for this panel? This was previously installed at the 412 Penny Lane address and it will not accept the default installer code (we must have changed it for some reason).

No, installer codes are only visible to you, they are not managed or stored by Surety.

You do not need an installer code to activate service, just the system master user code (likely what you use for arming/disarming, it is user code 1)

After activating and connecting your panel you can return to the system manager to remotely reset the installer code there.

I had some difficulty getting the 16-F learned into the IQ Panel 2 but finally got that sorted.

Now, I’m having some challenges getting the hardwire zones to auto-learn.

I wired the 4.7K EOL resistors to the POSITIVE side of each sensor as per the install guide for Normally Closed (NC) sensors but could not get the panel to auto-learn (i.e. the panel never registers opening the circuit).

I then tried the resistors on the NEGATIVE side for each sensor with the same result.

I followed the Qolsys install video and was able to put the 16-f and IQ2 into auto-learn to pair the 16-f but it’s not recognizing the sensors.

(Qolsys Hardwire 16-F Installation Video - YouTube) but they don’t show resistors being install on that.

An older video / older model 16-f, they show the resistors on the NEG lead. How to Install the IQ Hardwire 16 for the Qolsys IQ Panel - YouTube

Can you guys clarify on which pole (+/-) the resistors should be installed?

If I measure resistance of an open sensor circuit, there is infinite resistance as you would expect and 4.3 - 4.8Kohms when the circuit (in this case the back door) is closed.

How sensitive is the 16-f to the 4.7kohms resistance in order to operate correctly (i.e. if the resistance on a zone is 4.3K or 4.8K is that within range?)

For what it’s worth, the 200ohm resistors installed in the wired panel were installed on the NEG leg of each zone.

Can you guys clarify on which pole (+/-) the resistors should be installed?

It makes no difference. This has no effect. As long as you have the resistor wired in series it is fine.

If I measure resistance of an open sensor circuit, there is infinite resistance as you would expect and 4.3 - 4.8Kohms when the circuit (in this case the back door) is closed.

Sounds like the zones have appropriate resistance. Resistors will not be exactly 4.7, there will be a tolerance. The issue is something else.

If you had trouble pairing the IQ Hardwire itself with the panel I am curious if the Hardwire is actually in learn mode when you are trying to pair devices. Zone LEDS on the HW will illuminate when they are successfully activated during EOL learn.

Please re-read the steps in the manual page below and let me know if you are able to learn a zone:

Thanks for the info, Jason.

What I realized was that the builder installed the wired sensors in the jambs of the doors (front / back) but did not install the other half in the doors themselves.

I was able to learn in a window sensor without issue.

I’ve got some spare sline sensors so I’ll put them on the entry doors until the builder comes out.

Thanks again for the awesome customer support.

Craig

Ah, thank you for confirming! Hopefully they can get those magnets put on for you soon.

Alas, these guys really screwed this up and I’m going to have revisit the install/learn for this system. I’ve sent a private message to extend the TEST time on this account. Is that the proper way to keep the account in in test and not active?

Test mode can be controlled in the system manager at any time. Visit the system manager here and navigate to the Test My System tab. You can clear test mode and reapply it for up to 1 week at a time.

1 Like