2GIG GC3 Panel Randomly Rebooting and Z-Wave Latency

My 2GIG GC3 panel has been acting a bit strange the last few days. The ADC commands for Z-Wave are taking 10 to 15 minutes to respond. I’ve also noticed that my panel has rebooted a few times today. I keep hearing it say “System Disarmed - Not ready to arm”.

Can you look in the logs and let me know if you see any issues? I have re-discovered the network a few times. I also put the system in test last night and send a remote reboot command from the system manager.

Thanks

I’m not seeing anything in history which would suggest a specific issue. I’m not seeing any evidence of remote commands being delayed by panel signaling, so it would appear a delay would probably be caused locally.

Can you point to a couple events where the delay occurred? The time-stamp would really help. We can look into those more in depth

1 Like

Hi there. Good evening. I’m having the same issue as the OP says but my panel is a 2GIG GC2. I have recently updated the firmware. Everything worked fine for a day or two and then randomly rebooting, zwave latency or not working at all. Did re-discover, send reboot command, rebooted by battery/power unplug. Is there something you can check if issues been reported on system? Or any suggestions as to what I can do here to resolve, like maybe reinstalling FW 1.19.1.3? Downgrade firmware if possible? Thanks and please!

Hi there. Would reinstalling the same firmware 1.19.3.1 help out the issues of rebooting CP and major latency of Zwave ?

If your panel is already at 1.19.3.1, you won’t be able to flash to the same firmware version. Additionally, downgrading firmware via OTA is not possible. This is possible locally, but not recommended as a step in troubleshooting. Downgrading firmware will remove all devices paired to the panel.

Signal strength is reporting at a 2/6 which is adequate for communication but is relatively low. To troubleshoot, power down the system completely, transformer first (from the wall) then then internal battery. Leave the panel powered down for a full 2 minutes. During this time, check to make sure both antenna are plugged into the module and that neither antenna is touching metal/power lines when inside the wall (if wall mounted). Additionally, check to make sure the panel’s power cable is seated into the internal terminal block snuggly and has not come loose. After checking all of that, power up the panel battery first then transformer. Wait a few minutes after booting up the panel and check signal strength, any change?

I have sent commands to resync your Z-Wave devices, please allow 5-10 minutes for these commands to take effect. Afterwards, any change?

Additionally, I am seeing a Shed Door Z-Wave Lock reporting a malfunction. You will want to clear this from the network, then re-add it when able. This guide here will show you how. Be sure to pair the lock within 6 feet of the panel and to run a Z-Wave Network Rediscovery when done.

Thank you Tyler. Appreciate your help. I’ve gone ahead and power cycled as you suggested. Also, I’ve notice the zwave network as “unknown state please try again”. I’m waiting to see if everything is back to normal. I’ve check the antennas connections to make nothing shorting out or grounding. Also, made sure the power cables are fully secured. Signal (cell) prior to restarting was at 8/31 but after restart it is now 9/31, not sure if you were referring to this.

Signal (cell) prior to restarting was at 8/31 but after restart it is now 9/31, not sure if you were referring to this.

Yes that is what I was referring to regarding signaling

Also, I’ve notice the zwave network as “unknown state please try again”. I’m waiting to see if everything is back to normal.

Did this show up shortly after rebooting? Sometimes it can take several minutes after reboot before being able to locally access the Z-Wave network.

Hey Tyler. Thanks! Ok, so the zwave is still going crazy and panel still randomly announcing “system ready to arm” or something to the effect. I’ve deleted the shed door and unable to reinstall, sometimes it shows up, sometimes I can even delete, so I have to try multiple time, wait sit and retry and finally able to delete shed door lock. Installed it again and still going missing even when left it next to CP. the zwave commands are taking forever and honestly, if I have to start from fresh, don’t mind. Maybe best option would be a completely wiped clean and start from scratch maybe? Even thinking of switch to the GC3. Any suggestions? And restarting system. Zwave state is unknown again

When you updated the firwmare, did you do this via the 2GIG USB Update Cable? If so, which firmware version were you on when you started and did you update right to 1.19.3.1?

Ok, so the zwave is still going crazy and panel still randomly announcing “system ready to arm” or something to the effect

This typically happens when the panel is rebooting, which usually only occurs when programming mode is entered, then exited, or when a firmware update happens (which are manual).

I’ve deleted the shed door and unable to reinstall, sometimes it shows up, sometimes I can even delete, so I have to try multiple time, wait sit and retry and finally able to delete shed door lock. Installed it again and still going missing even when left it next to CP

How old are the batteries in the Lock? They may need to be replaced.

if I have to start from fresh, don’t mind. Maybe best option would be a completely wiped clean and start from scratch maybe?

This next thing to try, before fully Factory Resetting the panel, would be to reset the Z-Wave Controller and start from scratch there.

From the panel navigate to Services → Z-Wave → Wrench Icon → Advanced Toolbox → Rest Controller.

This will remove all Z-Wave devices and reset the Z-Wave controller.

Afterwards, you will still need to clear, then pair, each Z-Wave device.

Thanks Tyler. Yes, I did via USB cable and I was on versiona 1.19 and went straight to 1.19.3.1. I’ll try that. Because yep, still restarting. Zwave is going into unknown status. Just today, at 547p system rebooted and then 10 mins later, my office door sensor chimed, and the door was wide open no one had opened it or closed it. Through the night it continue “system disarmed” last one at 1117pm. The shed door lock I did swap batteries out and still same behavior, hate to think the door lock is bad since it was working fine before updating, but then of course I could always go bad too.

Yes, I did via USB cable and I was on versiona 1.19 and went straight to 1.19.3.1.

Were there any issues? Did the cable get moved or come out during the process at all?

hate to think the door lock is bad since it was working fine before updating, but then of course I could always go bad too.

While its possible that the lock is bad as well, its more likely that the problem lies with the panel. at this point.

After resetting the Z-Wave controller. I would only add a few Z-Wave devices, just to determine that they will in fact pair and work via the panel and remotely from Alarm.com.

If they don’t, then the last step would be a full factory reset (which will remove all sensors and devices)

Hi Tyler. One last time and sorry. Just before wiping the system out and starting from scratch (as you probably seen, I have a lot of sensors and zwave connected), the past week I have notice the CP reboots constantly and everything works for a while, and then zwave goes into “unknown state” and eventually it reboots again. It does that throughout the day multiple times sometimes take longer sometimes reboots in minutes. Any ideas? Possible big or firmware corruption?
Also, if I reset the system can we have a back up of the sensors please.
Thanks again

The random rebooting is a problem, and likely an indication that the panel needs to be replaced. There are no known bugs that cause this issue in FW 1.19.3.1.

Do you notice the Z-Wave network not working for a time immediately after the reboot?

At this point I would factory reset the panel and start from scratch. A backup of sensor programming has been run and can be resent (during normal business hours) after the factory reset. You will want us to do the backup restore before adding any devices manually to the panel after the factory reset.

Z-Wave devices cannot be backed up (and would need to be cleared and re-added manually)

If the reboots continue after the factory reset, replacement would suggested.

Hi Tyler. Thanks again. sorry for late reply but this past week has sucked. Hope everyone is doing a-ok.

Do you notice the Z-Wave network not working for a time immediately after the reboot?

No, the zwave actually works for a while, no time frame in particular . Not that I have noticed. it seems to work well.

Also, I’m leaning more towards what you mentioned, that the CP is probably needing replacement. I would like to switch to GC3 panel. But as you have seen I have a lot of sensor. I would love to buy everything thru surety, but I noticed no GC3 panel available. So the only I see here is the IQ. Do you have any GC2 or GC3 i can purchase?

Once I find the replacement panel, if I swap them, how do I go about it to add it t account and get a backup restore? Thanks

but I noticed no GC3 panel available. So the only I see here is the IQ. Do you have any GC2 or GC3 i can purchase?

We no longer carry 2GIG brand alarm panels but they can be found from a variety of vendors online. Keep in mind that the GC2 and GC3 has been discontinued and replaced with the GC2e and GC3e series panels.

We do carry the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ with 345Mhz radio through this link here. This panel works with 2GIG/Honeywell 345MHz sensors, DSC PowerG sensors, Z-Wave Plus and includes a built in 4G LTE module.

Once I find the replacement panel, if I swap them, how do I go about it to add it t account and get a backup restore? Thanks

A backup can be run at any time, so long as your current panel is signaling. I have run one now. This only contains info for wireless sensors and users.

This backup can be passed to a new GC2/e or GC3/e. Z-Wave devices and Image sensors are not backed up.

It cannot be passed to the Qolsys panel. All sensors and Z-Wave devices would need to be programmed manually.

Steps on applying the backup would depend on which panel you end up choosing. You will want to reach out to us at that time before doing anything else, as backups can only be sent by us.

If you go with the GC2e, you can use your current cellular module. If you go with the GC3e, a new module would need to be obtained.

A note about the GC2e
This is where it gets a bit tricky. The GC2e series panel does not work with the Go!Bridge AND ESeries sensors at the current time. The internal transceiver would need to be replaced with the one you currently have, so the GC2e can communicate with the Go!Bridge. However, doing that means the GC2e cant work with E-Series sensors.

Sweet deal. Thanks Tyler. I ended up ordering the Qolsys panel, might as well upgrade. Bummer though I did screw up the order, hopefully customer service can fix my error (placed the order for Qolsys panel, plus gc3 sled and monthly subscription, OOPS, just needed the Qolsys panel). When I get it I guess I might as well just start installing as the backup won’t be compatible with it. When I get the Qolsys, do I need to still contact support to add to my account or will it automatically be added?

Looks like we got that issue RE: cell sled taken care of for you already.

Once you receive the new panel, you can swap to it yourself via the System Manger feature of your Surety account login. You’ll need the new panels 15-digit IMEI number (found on the back of the panel and on the side of the box.