2GIG Edge and Smartthings integration?

Hi! Now that the 2GIG edge is out: how does it compare with G2? Specifically, does it integrate any better with Smartthings? I had my G2 as a secondary panel, with mixed results. (emphasis on “mixed”, the “result” part is questionable :slight_smile: )

• Would I be able to trigger Disarm when the door is unlocked, when the door lock is in ST?
  • Would I be able to trigger turning on lights (from ST) when the alarm is Disarmed?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, at this juncture there is no information on if that type of integration is even available on the Edge panel. 2GIG has not posted the manual yet nor is their tech support aware of that type of integration.

It would be mere speculation on my part to say if it can do those things, or if it can even become the secondary to a SmartThings hub, however, since such an integration was possible on the other 2GIG panels, that functionality may carry over.

Hi! Following up - wondering if now that Edge has been out for a few months, does anyone have experience with Smartthings integration? I am still on 2GIG v2, and integration is mostly inexistent. My panel is secondary and it sees devices but can’t do anything with them. Would Edge be better?

There would be no additional integration like you are referencing in the original post. You cannot create rules in Smartthings to affect the alarm panel arming status or vice versa.

Adding a panel as a secondary controller gives parallel control of compatible devices. If you have a lock added in ST and add a panel as a secondary controller, if all else is compatible you can then create an automatic disarm rule in Alarm.com where unlocking the door disarms the system.

You can’t create a rule in ST to do that.

I did it exactly how you are describing: Panel is secondary, rule in alarm.com should disarm. Rule exists → disarming doesn’t happen. Interestingly i also have a rule that turns on some lights when I disable the system and that seems to work most of the time.
I also cannot add new user codes to my door lock in alarm.com and I don’t think ST allows that either, so we have to manually add users.
This is why i said that integration is faulty at best - Any improvement with the new panel would be worth while, but if it is the same as the old one then not worth considering an upgrade.

Panel is secondary, rule in alarm.com should disarm. Rule exists → disarming doesn’t happen. Interestingly i also have a rule that turns on some lights when I disable the system and that seems to work most of the time.

This is indicative of issues with the network. If you can view the device in Alarm.com and your panel, there is no reason it won’t work with rules.

It looks like this isn’t related to a Surety account so I can’t look into any potential issues, but common problems include distance from the panel, lack of repeating nodes, low batteries during inclusion, too much distance from the controller during inclusion, smartthings and the 2GIG panel too far apart during the pairing. Incomplete data can be transmitted resulting in loss of functionality.

Different controller, but same basic steps and considerations described in the following thread.

My experience on the 2gig Edge and Smart devices is that it’s step backwards from the GC3 panel. You were able to assign z-wave devices to groups and even configure advanced settings on a z-wave device in the 2gig GC3. These options are not available in the Edge panel. In many ways, the Edge is abandoning z-wave customers with the changes they have made. Unless they are planning to update this firmware soon, I will likely make a switch to another vendor just to support the z-wave devices I have. For example, why on earth would they stop supporting the ability to pair a 3-way switch device on the panel? Why would they lack the ability to customize your switch scenes? Why can’t I change the dimmer speed on the Edge when I could on the GC3? Massive oversight, if you ask me. Why can’t I see my doorbell camera on the Edge? So many little things that you wonder if the software people have changed their approach to supporting hardware or if they are handing it all to alarm.com…