2100 sq ft home

Hi there. I am not sure how any of this works. I have a 2100 sq ft home looking to get monitored security. I have two doors that lead to the outside, 3 panel glass slider with two entrances, and 6 windows. I know I will need a panel but what about sensors? It seems like there are different kinds? Do I need 1 sensor per window/door or do they reach like a certain distance from the other? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I’m really clueless with this. Thanks!

1 Like

Happy to help! A baseline description of a magnetic door/window sensor like the ones we sell, is that it comprises two parts: a sensor switch and a magnet.

The sensor and the magnet are attached to the frame and the door respectively, and when closed, the magnet holds closed a metal reed switch inside the sensor. The sensor reports itself to the panel as in a closed position. When the magnet is pulled away (the door or window opens) the sensor reports open.

You would need one per door and per window you want to detect opening. A slider with two openings would require two sensors.

Other sensors can be used in conjunction with door window sensors to capture other things, but they do not replace their function.

Motion detectors capture motion. Glass break detectors listen for glass shattering.

See the video below for some example usage of door window sensors.

Hello there here my personal opinion do all the doors/sliders/ windows and then add some motions in bigger areas like living room maybe hall ways or dinning rooms and kitchens if u want toss some glass breaks in because if the alarm is armed at night motions will be off and I also recommend add some monitored smoke detectors through the house if u want that total peace of mind I can help point u in the right direction if need help or advice from another DIYer

Thank you for the input. I appreciate it!

Ur welcome

The benefit of having Window/Door sensor on each Window/Door is that you will know if you let one opened (assuming it’s opened enough to trigger the switch, so something like 1+ inch) from either the panel or the app on your phone.

1 Like